North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I honestly don't think they did.

They removed "proudly representing New Jersey" from their website in favor of the more direct "based in New Jersey", but I'm not aware they ever have claimed New York.  And with Jersey's governor as majority owner, I doubt they ever will.

I could've sworn I saw them listed as that but I can't find it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/9/2020 at 5:39 PM, GDAWG said:

Has the NWSL had any issues so far?

not really, outside of Orlando never getting there, but that’s also a sign that it’s working. Seems getting everyone into the bubble safely is the hardest part, and where MLS really blew it (that and the CGI field logos).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

22 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

For a league that's doing a World Cup-style tournament, I've been kind of surprised by how few matches there are. I suppose a big part of that is losing two participants, but it seems weird that on the Friday of the league returning, there's just one game and we don't have three in a day until Sunday.

It's more probably a more prudent approach that running three games a day, but the wide gulf between starts at 6 a.m. and then again 5 p.m. west coast time feels weird. They're scheduling based on limited contact, limited team numbers and managing summer humidity?

I was wondering why Hell Is Real was starting at 10:30 pm, but that explains it. Maybe Orlando was not the place to do this?

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So has USL Championship canceled the whole season or are they going with a hub?

Teams (who normally already play within the conference) were divided down into pods of around 4 or 5 regional teams. Teams will play 16 games total (including the one week played before the shutdown). They will play within the pod with a few games outside of the pod who are in another nearby pod. For example Indy Eleven are in a pod with Louisville, St Louis and Kansas City. They have a couple of games outside the pod against Pittsburgh and Hartford. Games are played at each others home stadiums, I assume without fans.

Signature intentionally left blank

The Red Bull/ATL game on Fox is in a weather delay so the network is replaying the Nashville/ATL game from February 29. I almost forgot this game happened. Honestly feels like it took place at some point last season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So has USL Championship canceled the whole season or are they going with a hub?

@Dilbert has the general gist of how they're going to work, but to further expand upon it...

The USL Championship is going with a 16 game regular season schedule. Some teams (Like Tacoma) have already played 2 games while some teams (like Hartford and Pittsburgh) have played none. What this means is that Tacoma has 14 games left on their schedule while Hartford and Pittsburgh has their full allotment of games.

After the season ends, the playoffs have 16 teams. The top 2 in each group advance with Groups A through D being the Western Conference and Groups E through H being the Eastern Conference. In fact, here's the breakdown:

Group A - Portland II, Reno, Sacramento, Tacoma

Group B - LA Galaxy II, Las Vegas, Orange County FC, Phoenix, San Diego

Group C - Colorado Springs, El Paso, New Mexico United, Real Monarchs

Group D - Austin, FC Tulsa, OKC Energy, San Antonio, Rio Grande Valley

Group E - Indy Eleven, Louisville City, Saint Louis FC, Sporting Kansas City II

Group F - Hartford Athletic, Loudoun United, New York Red Bulls II, Philadelphia II, Pittsburgh

Group G - Birmingham, Charlotte, Memphis, North Carolina

Group H - Atlanta United II, Charleston, Miami FC, Tampa Bay

The fake crowd noise on the Fox broadcast makes this such a more compelling broadcast to watch than the quiet ESPN shows. Yes, it's phony, but I don't care.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Which team has the positive and inconclusive test? I follow DC United on Facebook, and the posts they were putting before the game was postponed leads me to believe that their team was good to go and the issue may be with Toronto. Granted, I did not check TFC's page for similar posts.

52 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Which team has the positive and inconclusive test? I follow DC United on Facebook, and the posts they were putting before the game was postponed leads me to believe that their team was good to go and the issue may be with Toronto. Granted, I did not check TFC's page for similar posts.

DC had a player with a positive test and Toronto had a player who was inconclusive.

I watched the Red Bull match, my first real time watching MLS. I watch the premier league about once or twice a week, but I am no soccer expert. I was surprised that I could tell a real difference in the skill level.

Excellent!

3 hours ago, Krz said:

I watched the Red Bull match, my first real time watching MLS. I watch the premier league about once or twice a week, but I am no soccer expert. I was surprised that I could tell a real difference in the skill level.

Feel the same way watching The Basketball Tournament on ESPN. I see why those guys are not in the NBA. With that said, I can enjoy watching TBT the same way I do an NBA game. So goes for soccer. If I enjoy a sport, I'm able to watch any level of it.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

USL is allowing a limited number of fans, provided they follow social distancing.

It also depends on where its allowed. I dont believe Phoenix had any fans for their game vs LA

Signature intentionally left blank

10 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

It also depends on where its allowed. I dont believe Phoenix had any fans for their game vs LA

The PIttsburgh Riverhounds also will not allow fans until at least August, and likely not then seeing how things  are going in Allegheny County.

That said...

YES. That game was amazing.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived