North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

1 hour ago, Jer15 said:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-confirms-charlottetown-p-e-i-as-location-for-2020-season

CPL finally announced their plans. Charlottetown is the location. Gimmicky name with "The Island Games". Starts Aug 13

Essentially the league will play a 28 game "season". Top 4 clubs move on to a 6 match round robin. The top 2 clubs in that will play in a 1 game final.

For the visual learner (like myself) here is what it looks like. 

The 2020 Canadian Premier League season explained.

I should add, teams have been training for a while now and are tested regularly and there have been no reported positives. There will be 2 more tests prior to leaving for PEI via chartered plane. (My understanding is that was required by by local government, no commercial flights allowed). 

Upon arrival there will be a 4 day quarantine (this one doesn't make sense to me). I assume there will be testing in that 4 day span. 

The name might be gimmicky, but it sense because of where they are... which is Prince Edward Island.

I like the plan. A decent sized regular season (quad round robin), then a playoff round with a triple round robin and a championship game.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sport said:

But you can? Football is a game of starts and stops, soccer is continuous flow, unless there's a free kick, which is the closest thing soccer has to the snap of the football. Once the ball is snapped the football player can receive the pass anywhere regardless of where the defenders are, not the case in soccer. I don't see how the two are analogous. 

I'm aware of zero plays in football where someone on the offense can start behind the defense.

I know that in soccer the referee doesn't blow the whistle before anyone kicks the ball, the way the ball is dead before the snap in football. I was trying to find an apt comparison in football, and usually that one works. It's the closest the thing between the two sports. If you view the kick of the soccer ball like a snap in football, then it's pretty clear that these are close.

There's like three rules in soccer and this is one of them. It's a just a part of the overall strategy, however weird it may be. Instead of everyone just running all around, you have to time it perfectly. Football would be pretty different if the defense got to line up six people in the offense's backfield. Baseball would be pretty different if there were eleven guys in the field. But those aren't part of the rules.

19 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The name might be gimmicky, but it sense because of where they are... which is Prince Edward Island.

Oh for sure. It makes complete sense.

I get this year is different and all that it just seems funny because there isn't normally a subtitle for a season. That's all. 

14 hours ago, Corvus said:

Oh, and:

I thought there were released already? Weren't they all white? Or am I remembering wrong?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 7/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, Seadragon76 said:

I like the plan. A decent sized regular season (quad round robin), then a playoff round with a triple round robin and a championship game.

You know, I don't think that's a quad round robin and triple round robin.

28 games is 7 x 8 / 2 so I think it's a single round robin to start.

Similarly, 6 games is 3 x 4 / 2 so I'll bet that's also a single round robin.

LvZYtbZ.png

This whole tournament is unfair, since Orlando gets to play in front of their home fans.

Spoiler

Now one of you do a joke about how an empty arena is actually more appropriate for Colorado or somebody.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:17 PM, WJMorris3 said:

Just a thought. If NYCFC and Minnesota both win tomorrow, you've got four teams all looking for their first trophy.

One out of two.  The best one, of course. :) 

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Word is MLS is going back to the MLB model (home stadiums but no fans, localized schedules) as soon as the end of this month. Yee-haw.

That is stupid.  What they should have done to start with is have the winner of their bubble tournament be MLS Champion as well instead of just winning a spot in CONCACAF 

Archived