Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

22 minutes ago, QCS said:

I wasn't aware that he didn't speak English, that is a big issue. Wholeheartedly agree to have him spend some time with Man City before coming to the States for NYC. I think we'll see those foreign players spending the last couple years of their career in MLS, but they'll need to brush up on their English first.

I don't think he ever had to because he's spent all of his life in Argentina and Spain.  

Ronaldo can speak English quite well.  He played for Manchester United for 6 years.  His accent is noticeable but he can speak it fluently.  That's why if he jumped to MLS after he leaves Juventus, he can easily transition.  

This was last summer.  Ronaldo's English is quite good.  Messi only speaks Spanish, to the point where the interviewer has to speak some Spanish to him:

So I would not have Messi in MLS for at least a few years until he masters English.  

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think you're overstating Messi's need to speak English. He's not a pro wrestler.

If you really need him to give interviews, interpreters exist. Heck, even Ichiro (who was fluent in English) used an interpreter for years.

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think you're overstating Messi's need to speak English. He's not a pro wrestler.

I don't think he's ever going to MLS anyways.  I think there's a chance he stays in Barcelona but we'll see.  

45 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I would not bring Messi into MLS right now due to his one limitation: he doesn't speak English.  The advantages that guys like Henry and Zlatan had when they go to MLS were their fluency in English due to their time in the EPL.  I don't doubt Messi is a big name, but him going to MLS now would limit him.  If Ronaldo decided right now to leave Juventus and wanted to play in MLS, Ronaldo would have an easier transition in MLS due to his time at Manchester United.  Let Messi play for Man City for a few years.  He can flourish there and once he's mastered the English language, he can come to MLS with a ton of fan fair and his transition would be easier.  You can't have one of the best soccer players in the world, a name as big as Messi and not have him speak any English come and play in MLS.  Yes there are a number of players in MLS who don't speak English, but this is Messi.  If you want him to be a major signing for MLS (which he would be), he would have to speak English and speak it quite well.  

Same issues would abound for Neymar the moment he leaves PSG and those MLS rumors start to pop up for him. Go play in the Premier League for a few years, master the English language and then come to MLS.  

If he goes to LAFC or Inter Miami, no one will give him any stick for not speaking English. Chicharito does interviews in English, but most of his are done in Spanish.

Yes he's not as big as Messi but he's well known across the USA. I think the biggest thing that perplexes people about Messi is that he seems to avoid interviews if can. He's also not an extrovert away from the field like Ronaldo, Neymar and Beckham have been. I think MLS would look to him in the same way NASL looked at Pele. They'll make sure he's taken care of financially and emotionally and hope that his presence will be the impetus to get other big name players to come over. It'll be right before World Cup 2026 so that's the perfect time for MLS and Liga MX to make the grab for better known internationals. 

17 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

If you really need him to give interviews, interpreters exist. Heck, even Ichiro (who was fluent in English) used an interpreter for years.

And even then, Ichiro was one of MLB's 10 biggest stars in the early 2000s.

I disagree that Messi won't come to MLS. I think these guys know the power of the US market and there's money to be made on the back end of their careers. Certainly not just salary -- the MLS money can't approach what they're making in Europe -- but in opportunity for exposure. Zlatan became a legitimately big start in LA. Beckham more of one in the US. Messi is known among soccer fans, but not among casual American sports fans (I'm guessing at this; who knows what the truth is). Messi in LA or New York would be a big deal on front page news across the country. It would at least prompt "who's this Leo Messi fellow and why is everyone in such a snit?"

Could Messi get a big Chevy deal in a Barcelona jersey? Probably. Would it be bigger in an NYCFC shirt? Possibly!

I don't know, maybe Beckham is the exception here, but did Zlatan become any bigger a star in LA just because he gained the (comparatively small) LA Galaxy fanbase to his domain? I guess I'm not convinced that MLS matters enough to move the needle for these guys. Now, connections with American athletes in other sports, or Hollywood mogul types while they're on this side of the pond... that I can see being a draw.

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

I don't know, maybe Beckham is the exception here, but did Zlatan become any bigger a star in LA just because he gained the (comparatively small) LA Galaxy fanbase to his domain? I guess I'm not convinced that MLS matters enough to move the needle for these guys. Now, connections with American athletes in other sports, or Hollywood mogul types while they're on this side of the pond... that I can see being a draw.

I imagine it's not necessarily fan money, but sponsorship/endorsement money? That's where it's at. As famous as these guys are for playing with Barca or PSG, I feel like American companies would pay them a lot more if they played for an American team. That in addition to American connections they can make while here, and MLS becomes more and more like a good investment for these players nearing the end of their careers so that they stay relevant.

Could be. I don't know, it's hard for me to say since I'm already plugged into that world. Just feels like a lot of American companies are already paying them even as-is -- all the shoe deals of course, Messi in American soda commercials, etc. -- and it didn't feel like Zlatanmania quite took hold in the US for anyone who didn't also watch him in Italy and Spain.

43 minutes ago, Digby said:

Could be. I don't know, it's hard for me to say since I'm already plugged into that world. Just feels like a lot of American companies are already paying them even as-is -- all the shoe deals of course, Messi in American soda commercials, etc. -- and it didn't feel like Zlatanmania quite took hold in the US for anyone who didn't also watch him in Italy and Spain.

Zlatan did the night time talk show circuit and got attention ahead of big games on ESPN, but it wasn't like Beckham where people were falling out of the woodwork when he sat in the stands at LA Galaxy games, before he played. Vela and Chicharito were brought in to bring more attention from Mexican fans. I wonder why no one has mentioned China or Australia though. Especially if Pepsi foots part of the bills. 

I wonder if this gets a stadium built in New York. They're going to sell so many damn jerseys.

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wonder if this gets a stadium built in New York. They're going to sell so many damn jerseys.

If they don't I'd hope he breaks the contract and goes somewhere else. 

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It would be quite a shock if NYCFC doesn't get a new stadium built while he's on the roster.  

great to see progress from our beloved FC Cincinnati and clearly Stam's systems is entirely based around goal prevention and minimizing opponent opportunities, but score a damn goal!

22 hours ago, GDAWG said:

It would be quite a shock if NYCFC doesn't get a new stadium built while he's on the roster.  

If they know he's coming it should be in place before he arrives. If he starts at Yankee Stadium it's only slightly better than Pele playing on painted rocks to start.

So what's the latest with MLB contracting some minor league teams? As that still supposed to happen? At one point somebody mentioned the possibly of one of the Yankees' minor league clubs within the city being axed and having a soccer stadium built on the land the minor league park currently sits. Realistically how fast could that happen?