Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

Recommended Posts

On 12/20/2019 at 11:13 AM, GDAWG said:

 

It's one of those "I'll see it when I believe it" things. 


That is the only reasonable response.  But it’s encouraging that they’ve been in active negotiations for the site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:


That is the only reasonable response.  But it’s encouraging that they’ve been in active negotiations for the site. 

 

If it happens, I wonder if the Pinstripe Bowl will move over there?  Or do they keep that at Yankee Stadium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect them to keep it in Yankee Stadium, which will still be the more prestigious venue (and where the Yanks get to keep all the revenue). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I would expect them to keep it in Yankee Stadium, which will still be the more prestigious venue (and where the Yanks get to keep all the revenue). 

 

That makes sense, even though I am not a fan of football being played in a baseball stadium.  It's only one game anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mindless said:

2020 MLS Schedule: Your club will face every team except for these three

 

Sharing this link in the thread if MLS Cup 2020 ends up being between two clubs that do not face each other in the coming season.

 

Personally I'm not a fan of leaving teams out if the goal of a schedule is to have the teams play everyone twice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Personally I'm not a fan of leaving teams out if the goal of a schedule is to have the teams play everyone twice...


That is not the goal.  If that was ever the goal, it was a very brief one - just a year or two in the early 2010s.  But it wasn’t the original goal, and it isn’t the goal today.

 

A perfectly balanced schedule only works in a relatively small league.  Obviously, the math is simple: y = 2(x-1) if x is the number of teams and y is the number of games.  That means that for a 30-team league like MLS, they’d need an inhuman 58-game season to play everyone twice.  Not gonna happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, kmccarthy27 said:

If they are smart this will be there USL affiliate and not give us {New Team} FC 2

Exactly. I hope Charlotte do this and look smart unlike Austin FC who basically decided that it's a turf war against Austin Bold, instead of making the Bold their lower league affiliate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SambamOverTime said:

Exactly. I hope Charlotte do this and look smart unlike Austin FC who basically decided that it's a turf war against Austin Bold, instead of making the Bold their lower league affiliate.


Do we know that the (sigh) Bold wanted to affiliate?  Pretty sure Miami FC has no desire to work with Inter Miami. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:


Do we know that the (sigh) Bold wanted to affiliate?  Pretty sure Miami FC has no desire to work with Inter Miami. 

The Bold have taken shots at Austin FC over how they've acted in Austin, especially the two "gentlemen" that were working over city council and the mayor to try to get Columbus down there two years ago. That doesn't mean they would put off working with Austin FC if it helps them in the long run. San Antonio FC would appear to be in that same situation as well, though that animosity came from the fans more than the leadership of the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gothamite said:


That is not the goal.  If that was ever the goal, it was a very brief one - just a year or two in the early 2010s.  But it wasn’t the original goal, and it isn’t the goal today.

 

A perfectly balanced schedule only works in a relatively small league.  Obviously, the math is simple: y = 2(x-1) if x is the number of teams and y is the number of games.  That means that for a 30-team league like MLS, they’d need an inhuman 58-game season to play everyone twice.  Not gonna happen. 

I’m a personal fan of

2x conference and 1x other conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I’m a personal fan of

2x conference and 1x other conference. 


That’s much better, but we’re still talking about a 43-game season.  (28 conference matchups, and 15 against the other conference).  Too many matches. 
 

And it’ll only get worse when we get to the next inevitable round of expansion.

 

There’s really no way to maintain a balanced schedule with this many clubs in the league. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splitting into three 10-team conferences would work in the short term until further expansion. 2x conference (18 games). 1x other conferences (20 games). 38 game schedule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the playoffs and the (multiple?) cup

competitions running in concert with the regular season, I’m glad they’re sticking with the shorter 34 game season, at least. Any more feels like things might burst, unless it comes with roster rule reform too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gothamite said:


That is not the goal.  If that was ever the goal, it was a very brief one - just a year or two in the early 2010s.  But it wasn’t the original goal, and it isn’t the goal today.

 

A perfectly balanced schedule only works in a relatively small league.  Obviously, the math is simple: y = 2(x-1) if x is the number of teams and y is the number of games.  That means that for a 30-team league like MLS, they’d need an inhuman 58-game season to play everyone twice.  Not gonna happen. 

NGL, i kind of feel like at this point in the MLS where we are having 26 team in the 2020 season and 28 teams in the 2021 season, we should start pro/rel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SambamOverTime said:

NGL, i kind of feel like at this point in the MLS where we are having 26 team in the 2020 season and 28 teams in the 2021 season, we should start pro/rel.


Why?

 

I don’t think one has anything to do with the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:


Why?

 

I don’t think one has anything to do with the other. 

I've had this thought in my head to somewhat solve the problem of teams having to play massive amounts of games during one season whilst lowering the crazy amount of expansion teams.

So basically, by 2022, the MLS will have 15 teams in both conferences (that's also only if some USL teams don't bother buying an expansion fee into the league). I was thinking that maybe, MLS and USL, and possibly the other lower leagues could have a conference specific pro/rel league. So basically, the Western conference in the MLS has pro/rel with the Western conference of the USL, same with the Eastern conferences. And the East and West conf. of the MLS are still a part of the MLS (kind of like the American League and National League in MLB). Each team in each conference goes only against teams in their conference twice and plays one team of the other conference once and do the same with the USL. That way, it lowers travel costs and times for teams and teams don't have to buy a flipping $400 million expansion fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.