Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Strange to me that the last batch of MLS games are mostly Saturday/Sunday, with a couple Wendesday thrown in, it seems. If fans aren't a concern, why not shift the schedule to be more weeknights, especially with the NBA and NHL playoffs wrapping up? Maybe I'm missing something.

TV rights might still play a role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/sd-loyal-forfeits-match-played-on-september-23-against-la-galaxy-ii-following-racist-remark/n-5644401

 

USL Championships San Diego Loyal has forfeited their September 23rd match against LA Galaxy II after a Los Dos player used a slur towards a Loyal player. The LA player was not disciplined by the team or match officials. This seems kinda backwards to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, -kj said:

I haven't investigated all teams' schedules, but it seems that the home/away balance was done just with the games played after the MLS is Back Tournament; Minnesota ended up with a total of nine home games and eleven away games (plus the bubble games, which were neutral site) since their two games before the lockdown were away.

That's exactly what they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFC playing a home game in Connecticut is strange enough.... now I wonder if TFC will end up using Brass Bonanza for their goal celebrations at BMO Field 😅

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

now I wonder if TFC will end up using Brass Bonanza for all they goal celebration at BMO Field 

I doubt it but it's a really cool little touch while they are in Hartford. I'm really enjoying it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

I doubt it but it's a really cool little touch while they are in Hartford. I'm really enjoying it. 

Deep down inside, I know that.... but it was cool to hear it. I wonder if any of the players know about it? 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it state law in Connecticut that Brass Bonanza be played at every sporting event? 🤣

 

Also odd that now two pro soccer teams are calling Hartford home this season (TFC and Hartford Athletic)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Quakes who have been awful, go into downtown LA and beat LAFC for the first time ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the USL Championship tonight, San Diego was hosting Phoenix. There was a major dispute at the end of the half that ended with SD player Collin Martin getting a red, which would then be rescinded.

 

The story as it's being told now is that Martin, who is openly gay, was called a homophobic slur by a Phoenix player. Martin apparently repeated the slur to an official, to draw attention to what he had been called. Like a retaliation hit in football or hockey, the ref missed the first instance, so Martin got the red.

 

San Diego manager Landon Donovan goes off, a lengthy meeting of the minds occurs in which Phoenix's coach is clearly heard dismissing the gay slur as "just a part of the game." Donovan gets a red for walking onto the field and is fine with it.

 

No one on Phoenix is reprimanded, though, and no one on San Diego is fine with that. So as the whistle blows for the second half, SD Loyal players all briefly take a knee on the pitch, and then walk off of it.

 

San Diego forfeited a game they were leading 3-1, their final game of the season, in which a win would have put them in the playoffs. Instead, their season is done. I've never seen anything like it.

 

Meanwhile, Phoenix co-owner Brandon McCarthy has spent the aftermath saying his coach's words need "context," and then alleged that Collin Martin may have made up being called a gay slur to stage a premeditated forfeit that would end his team's season because... ? Underpants gnomes? I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked for quite awhile with the other half of the SD Loyal ownership group, and they always had a zero tolerance policy for stuff like that. I even saw fans get their season tickets pulled over their protests to Republic’s open support of the LGBT community. The message isn’t just that they support the LGBT community and racial equality, but that you’re not welcome in their community if you don’t. It felt pretty bold for a sports team to take such a hardline stance when the usual MO is to take money from anyone they can regardless of their feelings on those matters. But it was a loss they were willing to take.

 

Knowing how things were handled with these matters the last time these owners did this, this doesn’t surprise me in the least bit. Good for them. I applaud them standing for what they believe in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Meanwhile, Phoenix co-owner Brandon McCarthy has spent the aftermath saying his coach's words need "context," and then alleged that Collin Martin may have made up being called a gay slur to stage a premeditated forfeit that would end his team's season because... ? Underpants gnomes? I don't know.

 

That's Brandon Almost Died Because of A Line Drive To the Head McCarthy, right? I'm surprised to hear him say something like that because on other issues he seems to be one of the few outspoken non-s***head non-MAGA baseball players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same. Maybe he's one of those guys where it's a different story when it's his money in play, or maybe he's a "well, *my* team would certainly never do that" kind of meatball fan. I don't know. Either was, it was a weird sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that bit of it is just a knee jerk reaction from McCarthy. It’s not a good look, and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it, but I can at least understand the logic behind defending one of your guys that way right after the fact. He’s been so level headed and rational with everything else, that I’m at least willing to give him some benefit of the doubt for now. For now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I worked for quite awhile with the other half of the SD Loyal ownership group, and they always had a zero tolerance policy for stuff like that. I even saw fans get their season tickets pulled over their protests to Republic’s open support of the LGBT community. The message isn’t just that they support the LGBT community and racial equality, but that you’re not welcome in their community if you don’t. It felt pretty bold for a sports team to take such a hardline stance when the usual MO is to take money from anyone they can regardless of their feelings on those matters. But it was a loss they were willing to take.

 

Knowing how things were handled with these matters the last time these owners did this, this doesn’t surprise me in the least bit. Good for them. I applaud them standing for what they believe in. 

 

Well said, couldn't put it better myself.

 

Just wanted to add this tweet in so everyone can hear Landon Donovan's take on it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for Landon for standing up clearly, vocally, and in support of marginalized people and players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

I think that bit of it is just a knee jerk reaction from McCarthy. It’s not a good look, and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it, but I can at least understand the logic behind defending one of your guys that way right after the fact. He’s been so level headed and rational with everything else, that I’m at least willing to give him some benefit of the doubt for now. For now. 

 

At first, I was thinking, "what was Brandon thinking?"/ he should know better etc.. After some thought, I think it was more of a knee-jerk reaction. As an employer, you probably want to, publically, give your employees the benefit of the doubt pending an investigation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm virtue-signal-buying a Loyal jersey today. (I'm also reflecting on how I'd rather still be living in San Diego.)

The Phoenix player is denying that they said the slur:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Meanwhile, Phoenix co-owner Brandon McCarthy has spent the aftermath saying his coach's words need "context," and then alleged that Collin Martin may have made up being called a gay slur to stage a premeditated forfeit that would end his team's season because... ? Underpants gnomes? I don't know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.