Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

I do find it quite odd that a team winning, with a chance to make the playoffs forfeit a game, even odder that this is the second straight game they forfeited (Last week vs LA, for a racial slur). I am very happy with what the Loyal are doing to combat both issues in the sport. I am disgusted at the Phoenix coach and organization completely disregarding the whole situation. When the Phoenix coach said it was part of the sport and asked Landon how long he's been in soccer im thinking why would you say something like that, especially when you have ESPN cameras and mics that caught it all and two this coach has no clue about Landons career?

Very much not the point, but yes, it is nice to see jerseys ordered from the Adidas pub team webshop with a nicer color scheme and a cooler sponsor than anything out of the Adidas MLS top-secret bunker.

I didnt think FC Cincinnati could get any worse than last year but even with a short season this year somehow they managed to make things worse.

Good to see things continuing apace on the in-progress stadiums. I've wondered how badly this year's revenue loss/the WTF-ness of the future of large events are affecting the stadium searches for the NYCFC/Miami/New England type teams.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, Digby said:

Good to see things continuing apace on the in-progress stadiums. I've wondered how badly this year's revenue loss/the WTF-ness of the future of large events are affecting the stadium searches for the NYCFC/Miami/New England type teams.

Not at all.  At least not for NYCFC and Miami, who are sufficiently capitalized that they don’t need to dip into their stadium funds to keep the lights on. 

Meanwhile, in Chester, the Union are undefeated in 6 matches at P̶P̶L̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶k̶ T̶a̶l̶e̶n̶ E̶n̶e̶r̶g̶y̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶d̶i̶u̶m̶ Subaru Park and in 2nd in the Eastern Conference with a win over Montreal. This was also the first game that the Sons of Ben were able to attend in person.

I still want to know who this team is and what they did with the old Philadelphia Union club.

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Seats going in in Cincinnati

spacer.png

This makes me sad about likely cancelling my season tickets. 

9 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

This makes me sad about likely cancelling my season tickets. 

Why are you canceling?

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Why are you canceling?

Can't find anyone to go with! I've had them since the first season, but the people I had them with with moved to a different part of the old stadium, and then my friends and his wife got tickets with me, then they had two kids and can barely make it to enough games for them to spend that much on a whole season (they also had a habit of cancelling at the last minute).

Everyone I know wants to go one game a year. And people my age apparently can't commit to any plans more than a day in advance. Can't really justify the price for two tickets for all the games. It's a real bummer because I could park at work for free and walk over.

11 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

Can't find anyone to go with! I've had them since the first season, but the people I had them with with moved to a different part of the old stadium, and then my friends and his wife got tickets with me, then they had two kids and can barely make it to enough games for them to spend that much on a whole season (they also had a habit of cancelling at the last minute).

Everyone I know wants to go one game a year. And people my age apparently can't commit to any plans more than a day in advance. Can't really justify the price for two tickets for all the games. It's a real bummer because I could park at work for free and walk over.

You know, buying just one season ticket is not a terrible idea.

Just now, WJMorris3 said:

You know, buying just one season ticket is not a terrible idea.

Actually, it is. 

Part of the attraction of going to games, especially on a full season/season ticket basis, is to share the experience with others you know.  Many years back I shared a pair of Saints season tickets with a friend; we enjoyed going to the games together.   I have LSU season tickets (a pair) and always take a good friend, daughter, nephew; occasionally a neighbor or co-worker. By this point I also know all the other season ticket holders around my seats really well, so  I wouldn't "be alone" during a game now if I went to one season ticket.  But to me, it's not just the game itself; it's the whole game-day experience.

While I've been to HUNDREDS of sporting events, I can count on my fingers the times I've gone to sporting events COMPLETELY alone-- and it has been usually that in those cases it was by necessity -- I was by myself and out of town, on a business trip or solo vacation, and most often attended a baseball game (just to check off a stadium and have something entertaining to pass the time).

But to do that for a whole season for a home team? No thank you. 

1 minute ago, B-Rich said:

Actually, it is. 

Part of the attraction of going to games, especially on a full season/season ticket basis, is to share the experience with others you know.  Many years back I shared a pair of Saints season tickets with a friend; we enjoyed going to the games together.   I have LSU season tickets (a pair) and always take a good friend, daughter, nephew; occasionally a neighbor or co-worker. By this point I also know all the other season ticket holders around my seats really well, so  I wouldn't "be alone" during a game now if I went to one season ticket.  But to me, it's not just the game itself; it's the whole game-day experience.

While I've been to HUNDREDS of sporting events, I can count on my fingers the times I've gone to sporting events COMPLETELY alone-- and it has been usually that in those cases it was by necessity -- I was by myself and out of town, on a business trip or solo vacation, and most often attended a baseball game (just to check off a stadium and have something entertaining to pass the time).

But to do that for a whole season for a home team? No thank you. 

Maybe it's because I'm a relative loner so buying tickets for just myself doesn't faze me in the least.

31 minutes ago, WJMorris3 said:

Maybe it's because I'm a relative loner so buying tickets for just myself doesn't faze me in the least.

Seconded. Don't single-seat shame people.