North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subbing out Cifuentes changed the game.

We were dominating the midfield especially for the 20 minutes prior to Rossi’s goal, but once Ginella went on for Cifuentes, Tigres took over and our defense collapsed. Shame too.

They were playing unbelievably well for the first 60 minutes. Far better than I’ve ever seen our defense play. 

Ugh. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

17 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Absolutely gutting loss. It's going to be a long off-season. 

It’s going to replay in my head for a long while. It was right there for us. I keep thinking about Vela’s open goal shot attempt that was blocked. 

Which loss do you is more heart-wrenching to you: losing the Final to Tigres or losing to Seattle last year in the West Final? 

I’m leaning towards last night, but I don’t know if that’s just because it literally just happened. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

16 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Which loss do you is more heart-wrenching to you: losing the Final to Tigres or losing to Seattle last year in the West Final?

My gut reaction is to say last night's result is the more heart-wrenching loss. As you point out, that could well be due to how fresh the loss is in my memory. There's also the fact that LAFC largely did exactly what they needed to do through the first 70 minutes of the match, only to see everything go pear-shaped over the final 20.   

Perhaps closer to the truth is to say that the pair of losses are both part of a string of disappointing defeats in elimination games that have plagued the Black-and-Gold to date. Ushered out of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup by the Houston Dynamo - on penalty kicks - in a tournament semifinal. Upset - at home - in the first round of the 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs by Real Salt Lake. Ousted in the quarterfinals of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup - 0-1 - by the Portland Timbers at Blanc of California Stadium. Bounced from the 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs - at home - by the Seattle Sounders in a match that took a great deal of the shine off of a dominating, Supporters Shield-winning campaign during the regular season. Eliminated - on penalty kicks -by Orlando City SC in the quarterfinals of this season's MLS is Back Tournament. Easily dispatched - 1-3 - by the Seattle Sounders in the first round of this season's MLS Cup Playoffs. And last night's gutting loss - 1-2 - at the hands of Tigres in the CONCACAF Champions League Final. 

Through the club's first three seasons of play, a tremendous array of talent has played some truly beautiful soccer, only to have ultimate tournament triumph elude them. The time is fast approaching when many of LAFC's current collection of stars will depart... and the team's supporters may well rue the trophy-securing opportunities that were squandered by this early iteration of the club.  

Archived