Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

Former Whitecap and Timber Pa-Modou Kah is the new head coach of Pacific FC in the CPL. 

That is some kind of ridiculous name for a drink.

Back on the CPL stuff, it appears Ottawa will be joining CPL next year and it's being backed by Atletico Madrid?

Yeah it appears Atletico Madrid is behind Ottawa going to the CPL for 2020. They wont have much time to put a team together but a team like them should be able to handle it. Having an 8th club will help the CPL evening out the schedule (which the league has apparently already prepared multi schedules with and without Ottawa) as well as eliminating some midweek games. Rumors Ive heard is the team will have a name similar to the other CPL teams so dont expect to see Ottawa in the name and that the team could be introduced in as little as a week.

I guess it's finally official that Goalkeeper of the Year Vito Mannone won't be back with the Loons (and that Dayne St. Clair isn't ready for the starting gig just yet) - they've just acquired Tyler Miller from LAFC.

17 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Yeah it appears Atletico Madrid is behind Ottawa going to the CPL for 2020. They wont have much time to put a team together but a team like them should be able to handle it. Having an 8th club will help the CPL evening out the schedule (which the league has apparently already prepared multi schedules with and without Ottawa) as well as eliminating some midweek games. Rumors Ive heard is the team will have a name similar to the other CPL teams so dont expect to see Ottawa in the name and that the team could be introduced in as little as a week.

Yeah, seven teams was not ideal.  I was hoping there might be additional teams added this off season but nothing seems too imminent. They need a team in Quebec somewhere, and adding Regina and something on mainland BC would be good. 

30 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Man, it's always Galaxy.

Well before David Tepper, wasn't Phil Anschutz the wealthiest American MLS shareholder/owner?

Plus, he's gotta use that additional Chargers and XFL stadium revenue somehow.

10 hours ago, Corvus said:

Yeah, seven teams was not ideal.  I was hoping there might be additional teams added this off season but nothing seems too imminent. They need a team in Quebec somewhere, and adding Regina and something on mainland BC would be good. 

7 teams wasnt ideal to start with, but i think they are doing it right. They are just preparing for their second season. Expanding too quickly, with too many teams often kills a new league. Getting to 8 teams for 2020 i think is best and prepare for expansion by probably a couple teams for 2021. I have heard rumors of several places from across Canada including

St. John's, Quebec City, Laval/Montreal, Kitchener-Waterloo, Mississauga, Saskatoon, Langley (Vancouver) and Abbotsford/Fraser Valley as future posibilities. The strongest being possibly Saskatoon and one of the Quebec cities for 2021

Jeff Hunt is part of Ottawa Sports and Entertainment which owned the Fury and didn’t want to move the Fury to the CPL. Even after concacaf gave them a year to get their ducks in a row. 

this news confuses me. 

Maybe he’s finally seen the light, or realized that he can’t actually dictate terms. 

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Maybe he’s finally seen the light, or realized that he can’t actually dictate terms. 

I read somewhere that he's not even the majority owner of the CFL's Ottawa Redblacks anymore. 

On 1/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, mr.negative15 said:

Jeff Hunt is part of Ottawa Sports and Entertainment which owned the Fury and didn’t want to move the Fury to the CPL. Even after concacaf gave them a year to get their ducks in a row. 

this news confuses me. 

I don't know that it's all that surprising.

First and foremost, as I recall, Jeff Hunt had distanced himself from Ottawa Fury FC operations after a season or two. The soccer team was really John Pugh's bailiwick.

Also, the proposed Ottawa-based Canadian Premier League franchise will be owned by a La Liga club. As such, it seems that Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, in its role as operators of TD Place Stadium, will be involved with this venture as landlords. There's also the possibility that they'll provide local support staff in the areas of ticket sales, match day support, etc.

Beyond that, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group - at the time, comprised of Trinity Development Group president John Ruddy, Minto Group chairman Roger Greenberg, billionaire developer Bill Shenkman, and Ottawa 67s owner Jeff Hunt - launched in 2007 with the goal of bringing a CFL expansion franchise to Ottawa. After being awarded a conditional CFL expansion franchise in March of 2008, OSEG began the task of trying to convince political leadership in Ottawa to join with them in a public-private partnership to redevelop Landsdowne Park and engage in an extensive renovation - including construction of a new south side lower grandstand - of Frank Clair Stadium. 

At the time of the conditional CFL expansion team being awarded, the Ottawa Fury was a team in the USL Premier Development League. Having launched in 2005, the franchise was owned by John Pugh. They - and soccer - weren't even a blip on OSEG's radar yet. In fact, it would be another 2-1/2 years before Pugh would be invited to join Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group... three months after the Ottawa City Council voted to proceed solely with the group on negotiations to determine the details of a public-private partnership to redevelop Landsdowne Park and prepare Frank Clair Stadium for the return of the CFL.

Once the North American Soccer League granted the OSEG-backed Fury bid an expansion franchise in June of 2011, my understanding is that the soccer team remained John Pugh's  responsibility within the OSEG portfolio. While Pugh was a partner in the larger Ottawa Sports and Entertainment organization, it was he who served as Ottawa Fury FC President and the team's NASL (later, USL) Governor. When news came down that Ottawa Fury FC was suspending operations, it was a letter from Pugh that announced the move.

The point I'm trying to make is that it might not be outside the realm of possibility that John Pugh was the member of OSEG that "didn’t want to move the Fury to the CPL". Further, it could be that Jeff Hunt - as not only an original Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group member, but the one who has the most experience owning and operating a professional sports franchise given his purchase of the Ottawa 67s nearly a decade before becoming a co-founder of OSEG - is someone who the Spanish owners of an Ottawa-based CPL franchise would value as their frontman in the Canadian capital city.

Finally, as the operators of TD Place Stadium, OSEG has a vested interest in seeing that the venue's calendar is fully booked with events.    

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

I read somewhere that he's not even the majority owner of the CFL's Ottawa Redblacks anymore. 

I'd always been under the impression that John Ruddy had been the initial - and driving - force behind pulling the OSEG partners together.

So if Atletico Ottawa comes in for this year, that will be 8 teams in the CanPL, which is good as I always find a league with an odd number of teams well....odd.

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

So if Atletico Ottawa comes in for this year, that will be 36 teams in the second league USL Championship, which is crazy.  They could slide back down to 28 if all of the MLS II teams ever move down to USL League One, although that seems unlikely.

The new Ottawa team has no impact on the USL-C. The USL Fury team is dead and gone(with franchise rights sent to The Miami FC), and this new team would be expansion CPL.

1 minute ago, DiePerske said:

The new Ottawa team has no impact on the USL-C. The USL Fury team is dead and gone(with franchise rights sent to The Miami FC), and this new team would be expansion CPL.

Yeah, I just edited it.

When is the CanPL season anyways?  I would think adding an Ottawa team would be too late for 2020.