2020 Lower League US Soccer - USL Championship, League 1, League 2, NPSL, etc

BigB859

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the whole, it's a massive upgrade.  The old one was needlessly complex, and the shape was goofy.  Bonus points for referencing the old flag that should still be the current flag.

But "Lou City"?  Terrible.  Casual, unofficial nicknames should never take the place of the official name on the badge.

28 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sports branding just evolved differently in Europe compared to North America.

There's no such thing as sports branding evolution for European soccer.  The way soccer teams in Europe have been named has not changed since the 19th century.  On the other hand, professional sports teams in the United States have been using nicknames since its early days.  Soccer/football in the United States has an identity crisis. These clubs want to use the name football but are playing in leagues with the name "soccer."  You are either a soccer team or a football team and in the U.S. the sport is referred to as soccer and has been since the early 1900's.

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4 minutes ago, ddub53 said:

There's no such thing as sports branding evolution for European soccer.  The way soccer teams in Europe have been named has not changed since the 19th century.  On the other hand, professional sports teams in the United States have been using nicknames since its early days.

So thank you for agreeing with me aside from a quibble over semantics 😛

4 minutes ago, ddub53 said:

Soccer/football in the United States has an identity crisis. These clubs want to use the name football but are playing in leagues with the name "soccer."  You are either a soccer team or a football team and in the U.S. the sport is referred to as soccer and has been since the early 1900's.

I guess I agree, but I don't think anyone cares? It's always been called "soccer" in Canada as well but like...no one cares that it's "Toronto FC" instead of "Toronto SC." Aside from a few sticklers here and there I suppose.

4 hours ago, hawk36 said:

As has been said it's in keeping with the best soccer leagues in the world. To me it makes total sense to want to be like the best.

To put it another way, I would imagine if there was an American Football League in Europe, the fans there who love the NFL would rather their football teams to be more London Kings than London Football Club.

I can confirm that american football teams in Europe all follow american naming conventions. 

9 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I do not understand soccer teams. Why are the naming conventions so weird? Why is the format [Insert City/Region/State/School] and [Insert mascot], lost on soccer teams? Whats the point of adding FC at the end of most teams? Why do we have abstract terms like "United"? And what the hell is a "Sporting"?

I'm sorry it really bugs me and being from Louisville myself, it's frustrating that they can't come up with a real name for either the men or women's team. 

Well because it's not part of the sports culture. Even though it's an American tradition to add mascot name for us Europeans the city name is all that matters as that's who the team represent. Take the raiders insert LA Oakland now Las Vegas in front and puts focus on the mascot name which is what we find silly and childish tbh. I like it in American sports but for the worlds game keep the city name the focus!

What a downgrade. The only one was nice, could have been even better with some slight tweaking. The new one is so poorly done. Why is the star circle cut off? Why does the horizontal line not meet at the point? Why is it "LouCity"? One word? Not Louisville City? The explanations are some of the worst ever. The 5 strokes represent 5 bridges? What? So many questions....

Soccer/football in the United States has an identity crisis.

No, it really doesn’t.  

They’re taking the best traditions of the World’s Game from around the world and combining them into a one big messy melting pot.  Different conventions, different traditions, all happily co-existing side-by-side, some old and some new and every one of them American.  That’s what we do in this country, after all.

I guess the only thing more American than our heterogeneous, polyglot tradition is complaining that the new arrivals “aren’t really American”. 😉

LouCity FC Introduces New Look, New Name for 2020

December 18, 2019 - 18:47 PM

The name’s Louisville City but its best friends call it Lou. For the 2020 season, the two-time champions of the USL Championship league will have a new logo, new colours, and yes, even a new name… well, informally anyway, as […]

Read More...

On 12/16/2019 at 10:30 PM, sicknick459 said:

Well because it's not part of the sports culture. Even though it's an American tradition to add mascot name for us Europeans the city name is all that matters as that's who the team represent. Take the raiders insert LA Oakland now Las Vegas in front and puts focus on the mascot name which is what we find silly and childish tbh. I like it in American sports but for the worlds game keep the city name the focus!

That's not entirely true, is it? Many teams in the Premier League have knicknames that are effectively part of their branding. 

- Gunners (for Arsenal, a London-based team named after a facility, not a city/neighborhood/geo)

- Blues

- Spurs

etc. 

The one thing that frustrates me about European football branding conventions is not the name, however. It's the lack of control over the kits. Team cede control over the jerseys to their kit manufacturers, sponsors, and league. The most distinctive/dominant visual elements of Man U's jersey are the Adidas three stripes, their jersey sponsor logo, and the Premier-specific number font. The Premier League-wide custom font is especially galling, since it makes the clubs look odd when they're playing in other tournaments, including Champions League. The only things that's club-specific are the tiny crest and the primary kit's color. As a casual PL fan, it's really hard for me to tell who's who at a glance. 

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Interesting.  Didn’t see this coming.  

I actually think the new brand is vastly superior to the old one, but if fans prefer the old then the club should listen. 

Sounds like a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality from the Lou City FC fans in regards to the logo. 

21 hours ago, keynote said:

That's not entirely true, is it? Many teams in the Premier League have knicknames that are effectively part of their branding. 

- Gunners (for Arsenal, a London-based team named after a facility, not a city/neighborhood/geo)

- Blues

- Spurs

etc. 

The one thing that frustrates me about European football branding conventions is not the name, however. It's the lack of control over the kits. Team cede control over the jerseys to their kit manufacturers, sponsors, and league. The most distinctive/dominant visual elements of Man U's jersey are the Adidas three stripes, their jersey sponsor logo, and the Premier-specific number font. The Premier League-wide custom font is especially galling, since it makes the clubs look odd when they're playing in other tournaments, including Champions League. The only things that's club-specific are the tiny crest and the primary kit's color. As a casual PL fan, it's really hard for me to tell who's who at a glance. 

I don't know any European die hard fan who actively says 'oh we're playing the blues today or the gunner's'. Nicknames such as those are only used in songs sung at the game or to shout out like 'come on you reds' but that's not the name of the team at all no and in no way comparable to the nickname mascot naming system in the states.

It's a culture clash at the end of the day I see on here all the time people moan about the addidas stripes, but most Europeans love the 3 stripes! It's a major part of fashion especially in cities like Liverpool. It doesn't detract at all in many occasions makes a kit better. I always loved for example how on Spain's old away or Argentina's how the stripes are the flag. The prem patches and font are like the NFL shield there is a pride to wearing them as it's one of the best leagues in the world and unlike the leagues in the States you can actually get relegated from our leagues so certain teams like to boast of the top status. The club colours & crest are vizable and make most teams instantly recognizable. For example the all red of Liverpool the red white and black of Man u or the Red and Blue stripes of Barca. People know those look instantly the world over. As you say your a casual fan I'm a die hard 20 year season ticket holder from another continent. Some things don't translate over state side, however US football (soccer) would do better to follow Europe and the rest of the world than the other US sports as this global sport is a different animal.

Archived