BigB859

2020 Lower League US Soccer - USL Championship, League 1, League 2, NPSL, etc

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I assume you're not counting Sky Blue as a NY club then yes. Gotham City can join but only after we get Queen City in Cincinnati. Charlotte

FTFY :P

18 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I assume you're not counting Sky Blue as a NY club then

Sky Blue isn’t a NY club.  Just ask them. 

3KTRLv2.jpg

In NISA news, the Milwaukee Torrent have decided to ditch one of the worst names and logos in the sport.  The name change is a step in the right direction but way too small a step - FC Milwaukee Torrent - and the logo is good but not great.

Love the maritime influence, but I'm really having a hard time seeing either a T or an M in that anchor.  And leaning into the lake makes the name even sillier.

They're probably going to need a new hashtag, too.

iHbw1iJuvk7OJw37Y0HjAMWAd9h5NxtdFtyoLeUw

The primary jersey is the same, just with the new logo.  And a new name/number font referencing the city's German history.

Em1BhIIXYAA5voz?format=jpg&name=large

I like the new black away shirt.

Em1Bt6CXcAINbsH?format=jpg&name=large

The real treat, though, is the third shirt.  Obviously inspired by the Chicago Red Stars from a couple years ago, this is simply beautiful.

Em1B0_tXEAIlT_1?format=jpg&name=large

Don't know why it's not on their official graphics, but unfortunately, the actual shirts will now have an ad.

bcpZPaFbYJH7-GikvsvhpUpzm1WfJm-qj25wyncoghNIwSkxSnN5cxVxMd0VveQoQiwgS4q6KBqJGd0CrSkyFIIhQ-uyOOM1gc6voa91YJI9YYQDgLr4csoy

First case of a men's club taking design inspo from its associated women's club, at least among the US soccer partnerships? Even if all this only happened because of how badly "Proof" flopped, it's a nice upgrade.

Matt Wolff scores again.

Edit: he also designed the women's club crest.  What was the last wrong step he's taken? 

1 hour ago, Digby said:

First case of a men's club taking design inspo from its associated women's club, at least among the US soccer partnerships? Even if all this only happened because of how badly "Proof" flopped, it's a nice upgrade.

Different sport, but the post Webber/Bibby/Vlade Kings uniforms were taken almost straight from the Sacramento Monarchs’ set. At least the Sacramento wordmark was. 

I'm not a fan. If both were designed together and meant to be a pair then the synergy should go further. This is like wearing a grey suit with slightly darker grey pants. Both are safe, riskless designs that succeeded only in not being bad. Using the same fleur de lis would have paired them better while the other elements (or lack thereof) still separate them.

The new LC crest, and their last attempt, do away with all elements of the previous design that made it unique, the barrel and the skyline. I'm not a fan of skylines in logos, but the barrel was a great jumping off point. You could replace 'LOUISVILLE" with Quebec, St. Louis, or New Orleans and nobody would bat an eye. 

IMO, these two are both rare misses from Wolff, but I suspect that he's not at fault for the risk-less decisions.  

EnCNLAeXUAI73PH?format=jpg&name=medium

Chicago's expansion entry in the National Independent Soccer Association - expected to take the pitch in August of 2021 - has been conducting a "Moniker Madness" bracket to select a team identity. From a pool of 68 initial candidates, voting has narrowed potential team names down to the "Elite Eight". The names - along with pairings in this round of the bracket - are:

Chicago Athletic Club
Second City FC

Point Chicago
Chicago Bricklayers

Chicago Sting
Chicago Railmen

Chicago House
Elevated Chicago

Chicago NISA "Moniker Madness"

Best case scenario given these candidates? I'd name the team either Chicago Athletic Club or Second City FC, adopt team colors of Black and Yellow, then utilize "The Sting" as team nickname. Perhaps a subtle image of a bee could be worked into the team's badge. 

I love the idea of "Second City FC." I've said it before, but I wish more teams would adopt city nickname-derived brands. (I would've embraced Gateway City FC in St. Louis, for example.) 

I understand why they don't, of course. But I still like the idea. 

17 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I love the idea of "Second City FC." I've said it before, but I wish more teams would adopt city nickname-derived brands. (I would've embraced Gateway City FC in St. Louis, for example.)

"The Second City" is well-known enough a nickname for Chicago to warrant a professional sports franchise using it in its branding.

Gateway City FC would have been my choice for the MLS club in St. Louis. In order to eliminate confusion for those unfamiliar with the nickname, an StL ligature could have been worked into the badge somewhere.

I was hoping San Diego's USL Championship club would adopt either AFC San Diego or San Diego AFC as its name. The AFC would have stood for both Association Football Club and the municipal nickname "America's Finest City". 

12 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

"The Second City" is well-known enough a nickname for Chicago to warrant a professional sports franchise using it in its branding.

Gateway City FC would have been my choice for the MLS club in St. Louis. In order to eliminate confusion for those unfamiliar with the nickname, an StL ligature could have been worked into the badge somewhere.

I was hoping San Diego's USL Championship club would adopt either AFC San Diego or San Diego AFC as its name. The AFC would have stood for both Association Football Club and the municipal nickname "America's Finest City". 

I 100% agree on the STL ligature. It would've been unmistakably St. Louis. Team owners seem to really struggle pulling the trigger on a name that doesn't include the actual city name. 

I also like the thought on San Diego. AFC is one of those European-inspired names that hasn't taken hold here just yet. 

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

ASC San Diego plays in the NPSL which probably complicates things.

12 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Best case scenario given these candidates? I'd name the team either Chicago Athletic Club or Second City FC, adopt team colors of Black and Yellow, then utilize "The Sting" as team nickname. Perhaps a subtle image of a bee could be worked into the team's badge. 

Couldn’t agree more with this idea. Chicago A.C. sounds great too.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, Brian in Boston said:

Chicago House

Potential to be either awesome or infuriatingly bad.