2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

17 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Should have been the other way around. I’m just glad they didn’t go with those hideous storm jerseys that all the hipsters like because they’re so ugly.

If the Leafs used white, it’d just be a throwback, which isn’t the point of the program. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given their aversion to yellow/gold as a jersey base in recent years I figured the Bruins would do a black version of the Pooh bear. Good news that we're getting frazzled rabies bear and presumably the best version of the spoked B, instead. Seemingly what Providence has worn in recent years, but minus the yoke, true to the 80s/early 90s spirit.

trent-frederic.jpg?w=676

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

59 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Should have been the other way around. I’m just glad they didn’t go with those hideous storm jerseys that all the hipsters like because they’re so ugly.

The storm jerseys would have been fun, maybe next time.

However, the most important thing is that they are bringing back black.

1 minute ago, daniel75 said:

Black? It’s a blue jersey.

Just from the tweet you can see a ton of black in the jersey (which of course there would be if its a reverse of the 2004 jersey).

Lightning need to be a blue and black team and this is the first step.

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

what a wonderful program by the NHL and adidas.  

I agree, but my gut feeling is that they are still implementing the program more right now to keep fan awareness of the NHL while we are in this pandemic.

1 hour ago, daniel75 said:

So Tampa is just gonna switch the black with blue. Boring. Could have at least replaced white with grey.

I do not believe that is totally a certainty. Looks like it is blue outlining of the white shoulder yoke. They strategically kept us from seeing below that trim.

1 hour ago, philly97flyer said:

I wonder if we’re going to get each team’s full uniform revealed tomorrow or if it’ll just be the jerseys themselves

Not sure, but I would hope the NHL does a reveal similar to when all the home and away Adidas uniforms were introduced in Las Vegas in 2017.

1 hour ago, B-mer said:

I’ve gotta say I’m excited for this program. Overall most teams look great and it’ll be a fun change. Some really nice options that would make great starters for full time uniforms. 

If I'm a betting man, more than a couple of teams would consider their Reverse Retro jerseys for a future alternate. If the Florida Panthers sells big on theirs, they could do it.

1 hour ago, flyersfan said:

Honestly- this could partially be their attempt at getting teams to experiment with colors and see how the fanbase reacts to them. Like the flames wearing black. If the jerseys sell real well then I imagine we see a black alt down the line. I'm sure 1 or 2 will stick around longer than the program runs due to their popularity with the respective fanbase

I feel that is exactly what the 31 teams are doing. Too bad the Seattle Kraken are not a part of it, but the potential for a future alternate is quite intriguing.

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I would think just the jerseys right now.

The teaser pictures have just been people wearing the jerseys, so I would think we would get the full versions of the teaser photos.

I'm hoping for more than that. Something similar to 2017 when every home and away Adidas jersey was unveiled.

18 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

But have the Leafs ever had Grey in their jerseys? Honest question.

They’ve had silver in the TML years. I guess another way they could have made blue and gray work for both teams is choosing another throwback year for Leafs that focused on arm stripes. 

24 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

But have the Leafs ever had Grey in their jerseys? Honest question.

Depends if you count the time they added silver trim to the numbers and used them on the weird TML leaf shoulder logo.  

I would have gone with a white jersey or used grey as the primary colour.  This is so they can wear them against Montreal and Ottawa while they wear their retros.

20 minutes ago, cityhockeyfever said:

I agree, but my gut feeling is that they are still implementing the program more right now to keep fan awareness of the NHL while we are in this pandemic.

I do not believe that is totally a certainty. Looks like it is blue outlining of the white shoulder yoke. They strategically kept us from seeing below that trim.

The animated preview showed Tampa in a blue jersey, so I’m 99.99999% sure it will be blue. 

And I’m fairly certain they are unveiling them now to ensure jersey sales before the holidays. 

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The animated preview showed Tampa in a blue jersey, so I’m 99.99999% sure it will be blue. 

And I’m fairly certain they are unveiling them now to ensure jersey sales before the holidays. 

All about marketing strategy, I agree. I'm curious to know when they will be on sale. Immediately or sometime in December.

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

There's the Maine Nordiques of the NAHL who have the fleur-des-lis in a striping pattern and use powder blue, dark blue and red.

EGI_dlbW4AEZAzm.jpg:large

The Nordiques jerseys never bothered me for their simplicity. I was fond of the logo because it was such an odd leftover from the 70s, and was happy the purple and teal never saw the ice.

The Toronto Blue Jays and Tennessee Titans really need to look at these Maine Nordique uniforms.

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If we ever get the dear Nordiques back but Trois-Rivieres is occupied, a Lewiston-based Maine Nordiques would be a fun AHL affiliate. I like that identity.

Well, the Maine Nordiques in Lewiston were Quebec's farm team for part of their WHA days, so the history is there.

Since I've spent a lot of time in New England (minus CT and RI) over the past couple years, I've done some looking into the junior/professional hockey history of those places, specifically NH.

RIP the MAINEiacs, who I do remember existing.

IEI5Tg1.png

I kind of think the leafs dropped the ball here.

the possibility of flipping an arenas jersey, incorporating the red lettering from the crest in the 40’s. I feel like just adding grey and doing 1970 is kind of boring. 

they already have incorporated that era into their jerseys with the hem stripe. With that being said, if this is something we might see In the future I’m excited for what they may have in store if this series is run again.

really great job by adidas and the nhl to start pushing more jerseys. The NBA does it quite well.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Given their aversion to yellow/gold as a jersey base in recent years I figured the Bruins would do a black version of the Pooh bear. Good news that we're getting frazzled rabies bear and presumably the best version of the spoked B, instead. Seemingly what Providence has worn in recent years, but minus the yoke, true to the 80s/early 90s spirit.

trent-frederic.jpg?w=676

Hopefully they go with the Boston equivalent of this crest instead of the 80s home crest with black B and gold spokes.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived