2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kings could do with a refresh. Those purple jerseys look great. Not sold on the logo, I think ideally they come up with a nice white crown instead. As long as they don't wear yellow helmets I'm all for them though.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

It looks like knockoff garbage and there's no excuse for wearing it against Detroit in white, which is normally one of the best uniform matchups in the league. I hope they never wear it again. Kane hit 400 in a flea market sweater. How awful.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It looks like knockoff garbage and there's no excuse for wearing it against Detroit in white, which is normally one of the best uniform matchups in the league. I hope they never wear it again. Kane hit 400 in a flea market sweater. How awful.

I agree. As I've said a couple of times already, these RR jerseys for the most part just feel a bit cheap and slapped together quickly. I'm a fan of them being used, but I can see how each team's respective home and road is probably a better jersey for a reason. As always there are a few exceptions. But yeah Chicago don't look like the real Chicago at all, they feel like a budget movie version of a classic hockey team.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah it’s weird how Chicago wore a jersey inspired by the 1937 sweaters against another O6 team. 

Chicago plays Detroit 8 times this year (6 more games than a normal season) and you’re losing your mind about one game in February? C’mon. 

Chicago will wear it twice more, but not against Detroit.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Harsh words, but I agree with the general sentiment lol. They just look... meh

The stripes, colors, logo, everything looks good on paper. No weird gimmicks, no contrasting nameplates, gradients, chrome trim, white pants, hollow numbers, or weird color that isn't in the team's usual color scheme. So why does it look so disappointing?

15 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Harsh words, but I agree with the general sentiment lol. They just look... meh

The stripes, colors, logo, everything looks good on paper. No weird gimmicks, no contrasting nameplates, gradients, chrome trim, white pants, hollow numbers, or weird color that isn't in the team's usual color scheme. So why does it look so disappointing?

I disagree that it looks good on paper, first, but I think it's bad for the same reason I think the Capitals new navy blue thirds look bad - it's some generic looking nothing not associated with the team other than matching colors. It feels like the third jersey the New Jersey Devils would've worn in the early 2000's if Lou Lamoriello didn't hate alternate jerseys. If a hockey uniform could exist without making a single statement, those two are it. It's the hockey equivalent of the 2017 San Diego Padres. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, Sport said:

I disagree that it looks good on paper, first, but I think it's bad for the same reason I think the Capitals new navy blue thirds look bad - it's some generic looking nothing not associated with the team other than matching colors. If a hockey uniform could exist without making a single statement, those two are it. It's the hockey equivalent of the 2017 San Diego Padres. 

Yeah I think you nailed it. "Generic" is the word I was looking for. Perfectly describes those Blackhawks jerseys

By looking good on paper I meant, there is no piping or anything weird. It's a solid, classic hockey jersey with clean horizontal stripes, it just also happens to look a little generic. If I signed up for a beer league and those were my team's jerseys, I wouldn't be mad is all I'm saying lol

11 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah I think you nailed it. "Generic" is the word I was looking for. Perfectly describes those Blackhawks jerseys

By looking good on paper I meant, there is no piping or anything weird. It's a solid, classic hockey jersey with clean horizontal stripes, it just also happens to look a little generic. If I signed up for a beer league and those were my team's jerseys, I wouldn't be mad is all I'm saying lol

FWIW, in NHL '94 Rewind, the Senators' 8-bit uniforms are pretty much the Blackhawks' RR unis. It's kind of weird lol. Generic is a fair term. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, Sport said:

That uniform is the best the Washington Capitals have ever looked and should be their full-time uniform. That look is a piece of art. Is this a hot take? 

I think a lot of people agree with that opinion.

I'm not one of them. I think the Screagle is an ugly (and horrifically unbalanced) blob, Times New Roman or whatever it is is a terrible jersey font, and putting your team name on the hem is awful.

8 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I think a lot of people agree with that opinion.

I'm not one of them. I think the Screagle is an ugly (and horrifically unbalanced) blob, Times New Roman or whatever it is is a terrible jersey font, and putting your team name on the hem is awful.

I could take or leave the font, because I've always thought that it was kind of weird but it fit the branding and I appreciated that it was consistent across the logos and jerseys.

However, for whatever reason I've always had a soft spot for the name on the hem (provided it's contained by a stripe, EDGE-era LA Kings).

GettyImages55921418-4eb8c84b-1f8b-4c7e-8

1769792_display_image.jpeg

sergei-gonchar-washington-capitals-calle

KootenayIceF.png

IEI5Tg1.png

13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Hawks RR looks pretty nice on the ice.

Just posting to say how much i HATE that blue line ad.   It sticks out so much and looks so tacky.  Unlike the painted ice ads, the virtual one doesn't get covered as the period goes along and worse, it jumps around.  

The Hawks change their jersey design so infrequently and are in so many goddamned Winter Classics that they kind of had to reach into the mediocre part of the barrel to even do a unique design for their Reverse Retro. Same conundrum the Red Wings have, except the Hawks actually put a modicum of thought into not making it look :censored:ing terrible.

7 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Hawks change their jersey design so infrequently and are in so many goddamned Winter Classics that they kind of had to reach into the mediocre part of the barrel to even do a unique design for their Reverse Retro. Same conundrum the Red Wings have, except the Hawks actually put a modicum of thought into not making it look :censored:ing terrible.

That's a fair point and it might explain why I find their RR so underwhelming. Not that it's bad but it's clearly not as good as any other jersey they've worn in the past 20 years imo

Archived