2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

On 3/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Corvus said:

Marleau playing in a reverse retro based on a jersey that came out when he was already in the league is always hilarious to me. 

Ovechkin, Rinne, and Giordano were also playing for their teams while they wore their RR inspirations. Gio only played 7 games in Blasty's last season though, so I'm not sure if he actually got to wear it.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/12/2021 at 11:40 AM, ManillaToad said:

Defending corporations shoving ads down your throat in any capacity is absolutely something to be embarrassed about

I honestly don't get your point. The corporations that bought the ads did nothing wrong. They saw an opportunity and paid for that ad space. There isn't anything morally wrong with advertising your company. 

I'll say it again, the ads on the helmets have not changed my love for watching hockey in the slightest. I barely even notice them especially when they are in team colors.

Just now, PlayGloria said:

I honestly don't get your point. The corporations that bought the ads did nothing wrong. They saw an opportunity and paid for that ad space. There isn't anything morally wrong with advertising your company. 

I'll say it again, the ads on the helmets have not changed my love for watching hockey in the slightest. I barely even notice them especially when they are in team colors.

Greed is morally wrong lol. These mega corps are not fighting for survival and neither is the NHL. The ads were put there to slightly raise the bottom line of the mega rich at the expense of the aesthetics of the sport (crazy someone on a sports aesthetic forum would hate that!). And they knew they could do it without a problem because most viewers - you included - will scoff at the idea of caring, or will outright defend their actions. They know that every step of the way people will be making excuses for them. It's just the boards, the NHL needs money. It's just the ice, at least it's not the uniforms. It's just the helmets, you won't even see them. It's just a couple patches, it doesn't affect play.

Yeah, but once that AD door is open, who know what the corporations will try to get away with. We are a uniform forum, so that being said, we probably care more than any hockey fans about the way the team's uniforms look, If I have to watch games with uniforms like this:European hockey fans, how did jerseys become massive billboards? : hockey.....it would bother me.

2 minutes ago, joekono said:

Yeah, but once that AD door is open, who know what the corporations will try to get away with. We are a uniform forum, so that being said, we probably care more than any hockey fans about the way the team's uniforms look, If I have to watch games with uniforms like this:European hockey fans, how did jerseys become massive billboards? : hockey.....it would bother me.

wow. ya  need to calm down. just having one helmet ad does not make it euorpean hockey. we need to relax a bit. i dont think they will ever get that bad. dude, you're chicken littleing a bit here

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

19 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Greed is morally wrong lol. These mega corps are not fighting for survival and neither is the NHL. The ads were put there to slightly raise the bottom line of the mega rich at the expense of the aesthetics of the sport (crazy someone on a sports aesthetic forum would hate that!). And they knew they could do it without a problem because most viewers - you included - will scoff at the idea of caring, or will outright defend their actions. They know that every step of the way people will be making excuses for them. It's just the boards, the NHL needs money. It's just the ice, at least it's not the uniforms. It's just the helmets, you won't even see them. It's just a couple patches, it doesn't affect play.

What you call "greed" I call capitalism. 

Also, I said that i don't like the ads, but I don't notice them during game action whatsoever. Aesthetically, yes I would love for them to not be there. But I won't get "embarrassed" or fired up about something beyond my control as you state I should be. Especially when it doesn't actually bother me when I watch a game.

1 hour ago, joekono said:

Euro leagues cover the jersey in ads primarily as a way to keep things profitable and cover travel expenses, since they have smaller audiences and thusly lower merchandise sales than hockey in the US and Canada tends to have. Combine that with hockey naturally being a pretty expensive sport and...well, this is what you get.

Unless the NHL has an enormous financial collapse that would give far more pressing issues than just jersey ads for them to deal with, I doubt it has anywhere near the losses that would require them to do this. It's just fearmongering at this point, a boogeyman to point to and decry "SEE THIS IS WHAT THEY'LL DO", completely missing the context of those jerseys.

If a league as notoriously careless and slapdash about their jerseys as the NBA hasn't become :censored:ing flooded by jersey ads, I doubt the NHL will.

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Ovechkin, Rinne, and Giordano were also playing for their teams while they wore their RR inspirations. Gio only played 7 games in Blasty's last season though, so I'm not sure if he actually got to wear it.

spacer.png

He did.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Euro leagues cover the jersey in ads primarily as a way to keep things profitable and cover travel expenses, since they have smaller audiences and thusly lower merchandise sales than hockey in the US and Canada tends to have. Combine that with hockey naturally being a pretty expensive sport and...well, this is what you get.

Unless the NHL has an enormous financial collapse that would give far more pressing issues than just jersey ads for them to deal with, I doubt it has anywhere near the losses that would require them to do this. It's just fearmongering at this point, a boogeyman to point to and decry "SEE THIS IS WHAT THEY'LL DO", completely missing the context of those jerseys.

If a league as notoriously careless and slapdash about their jerseys as the NBA hasn't become :censored:ing flooded by jersey ads, I doubt the NHL will.

Then why is the NHL keeping the helmet ads after this season? Do they need those ads in order to keep things profitable and cover travel expenses? Do you remember when the "fearmongering" was saying ads would be placed on the uniforms one by one over time? Guess what, the one by one has started, and you are defending it.

29 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Then why is the NHL keeping the helmet ads after this season? Do they need those ads in order to keep things profitable and cover travel expenses? Do you remember when the "fearmongering" was saying ads would be placed on the uniforms one by one over time? Guess what, the one by one has started, and you are defending it.

There's not much importance put on the helmet design in hockey like there is in a sport like football. Like, what did any team in the NHL even do with the helmets besides slap a logo on and make the shell a team color? Nobody looks at a Leafs helmet as an iconic part of their overall identity like they do the logos and colors. As long as it doesn't stand out in the uniform, nobody cares about a single decal you'll barely ever notice during play.

That's all this is; a decal swap. You're getting angry they decided to change out a decal that was entirely redundant considering 99% of teams just slapped their primary or secondary logos on the helmet anyways. And again, if a league as notorious for giving zero :censored:s about their jerseys as the NBA isn't flooding the league with jersey ads, I severely doubt one in a sport with such an emphasis on the uniform as the NHL would do it. Seems there's a severe law of diminishing returns for it at the pro level that renders that kind of thing unappealing to these leagues.

And again, Euro leagues cover their jerseys in ads to cover the costs of running the league. I dunno about you, but I don't think the NHL is anywhere near that point, what with how they just got a big 'ol $650 million expansion fee from Seattle, and a nice fat chunk of money from the new $2.8 billion ESPN deal. They're pretty fat and happy right now with those two infusions, so I fail to see that they'd be so desperate for money at this point that they'd resort to that kind of thing.

People say "IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!!!", but how long has it been since the NBA introduced jersey ads and they still haven't progressed past a tiny patch? And considering how lax they are with jerseys, you'd think they'd be all over the ads if they were working on the major-league level. Hell, some NBA teams don't even have jersey ads anymore.

I don't get how you can see it as morally wrong to put ads on helmets or anywhere. Sure, it could be bad for branding. I think in some cases advertising is, but this isn't one of those cases. Other than that, what's the harm? Who cares if they don't "need" the money? This is not what greed is. Greed has to be at the expense of someone else. This is at the expense of no one. If anything, it's helping a lot of businesses gain exposure, which will allow them to expand their investments into jobs and spend money at other businesses and so on. I just don't understand the harm in that.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

We have not yet reached

NASCAR

Hockey

League 

As much as it pains for me to say it, well not all that painful, I do think we will get to the point where there will be an ad patch on the jerseys. 

When watching a game, the ads on the uniforms don't bother me as much as the ads (real or computer generated) on the playing area. ...and if we're going on about European hockey, the ads on the faceoff circles are just way too distracting. Good God, if the NHL decides to put ads there, how much white ice will there be left? 

I saw, I came, I left.

I think the argument against ads on sports uniforms is less of a logical or practical one (though there are valid points to be made) and more about the larger concept of losing an era in which sports were fun and enjoyable instead of all about the money. That era ended years ago, but the sacred space of the sports uniform was sort of the last holdout.

12 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

wow. ya  need to calm down. just having one helmet ad does not make it euorpean hockey. we need to relax a bit. i dont think they will ever get that bad. dude, you're chicken littleing a bit here

Well, I guess you took that picture seriously, so I'll just explain that I don't want the NHL putting ads on jerseys like the NBA. So, I'll leave it at that.

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Exactly, I don't want the NHL becoming the joke that the NBA uniforms have become.

8 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And again, Euro leagues cover their jerseys in ads to cover the costs of running the league. I dunno about you, but I don't think the NHL is anywhere near that point, what with how they just got a big 'ol $650 million expansion fee from Seattle, and a nice fat chunk of money from the new $2.8 billion ESPN deal. They're pretty fat and happy right now with those two infusions,

Lol if they're doing perfectly fine then why are they keeping the helmet ads?? Do you not see the contradiction in what you're saying? The excuse for this season was they needed extra cash because of the lack of fans. What's the excuse for next season and beyond if they're getting such a huge influx of money?

People say "IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!!!", but how long has it been since the NBA introduced jersey ads and they still haven't progressed past a tiny patch?

Back in the day people said it was only a matter of time before a big four league put ads on the jerseys. Now that it's happened the goalposts got moved and it's "They won't put more on the uniforms!" lmao. It is absolutely hilarious that you think the idea of more uniform advertisements being introduced is fearmongering when it literally just happened

The people who defended the helmet ads as "iTs onLy OnE sEaSOn" now trying to justify their bad takes when that's now not the case (like we all knew it wouldn't be) is kind of a hoot. 

I'm going to echo @Sport on this one- I'm not sure how you can be a fan of sports aesthetics and be ok with any of this. 

15 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I don't get how you can see it as morally wrong to put ads on helmets or anywhere. Sure, it could be bad for branding. I think in some cases advertising is, but this isn't one of those cases. Other than that, what's the harm? Who cares if they don't "need" the money? This is not what greed is. Greed has to be at the expense of someone else. This is at the expense of no one. If anything, it's helping a lot of businesses gain exposure, which will allow them to expand their investments into jobs and spend money at other businesses and so on. I just don't understand the harm in that.

It's at the expense of uniform aesthetic enthusiasts, which is what this is a forum for. All this arguing about morality or whatever is silly. Ads make things look worse and no one wants them, there's no need to explain capitalism. Everyone understands it.

I do not like these ads on uniforms ... but unfortunately, I supposed I am in the "ok with this" team.

I am no longer have this nostalgic/utopic/sentimental view of professional sport.  Sure, many of you will mock me for my position, but really, what are we, fans, really going to do anything constructive/tangible from preventing these ads on uniforms from happening?  Boycott games? Not pay for apparel? We sure as hell can't afford to buy a team (except for the Packers I guess) and have a say on this matter. 

I saw, I came, I left.

19 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

What you call "greed" I call capitalism. 

Yeah. I mean, not to get too political, but that's because they're the same thing.

Archived