2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Yeah advertisers would never buy space for logos you can only discern from up close

ISV_NASCARNEXT_Alumni.png

Racing also has cars with loads more room for ad space and has always had more of an advertising-heavy culture than hockey. Plus you have stuff like RaceCam that puts closeups of drivers and their suits (who are usually sitting and stationary) during races; you don't generally see that in hockey, because the only way that'd work is a helmet cam, and good luck discerning ads when players are moving at high speeds and constantly moving their heads around.

Plus there's a lot more focus on individual drivers and liveries in auto racing, whereas hockey is much more about the team aspect. If there's any comparison to the club-oriented mentality of hockey, it'd be soccer, and soccer jerseys generally only have like one or two ads on them (even MLS, the notorious butt monkey of pro soccer leagues that it has been, only has that small amount).

Hell, the NBA, a league that thrives on the individualist mentality and is also practically infamous for whoring jerseys out every year at this point, still hasn't become flooded by ads and it's a hell of a lot more similar to hockey than auto racing is; if they were so monetarily beneficial even in a limited exposure, why is the NBA not flooded with them already? It's not like the league seems to have that much of a care for aesthetics just normally.

At worst, I think it'd end up as a small corner patch like we've been seeing in the AHL for a while. I'm not saying it's some great thing for it to be a possibility... but comparing auto racing and hockey is like comparing apples to beef jerky.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Racing also has cars with loads more room for ad space and has always had more of an advertising-heavy culture than hockey. Plus you have stuff like RaceCam that puts closeups of drivers and their suits (who are usually sitting and stationary) during races; you don't generally see that in hockey, because the only way that'd work is a helmet cam, and good luck discerning ads when players are moving at high speeds and constantly moving their heads around.

Plus there's a lot more focus on individual drivers and liveries in auto racing, whereas hockey is much more about the team aspect. If there's any comparison to the club-oriented mentality of hockey, it'd be soccer, and soccer jerseys generally only have like one or two ads on them (even MLS, the notorious butt monkey of pro soccer leagues that it has been, only has that small amount).

Hell, the NBA, a league that thrives on the individualist mentality and is also practically infamous for whoring jerseys out every year at this point, still hasn't become flooded by ads and it's a hell of a lot more similar to hockey than auto racing is; if they were so monetarily beneficial even in a limited exposure, why is the NBA not flooded with them already? It's not like the league seems to have that much of a care for aesthetics just normally.

At worst, I think it'd end up as a small corner patch like we've been seeing in the AHL for a while. I'm not saying it's some great thing for it to be a possibility... but comparing auto racing and hockey is like comparing apples to beef jerky.

Hope you are prepared for the onslaught of people that will say you are "making excuses" for the NHL 😂

I absolutely hate the idea of an ad on a hockey jersey.  But you are right. To say they will ever be NASCAR or KHL jerseys is a massive improbable leap. 

Even the NBA ads came and now a lot have left... probably because its not really that great of a deal for both the advertiser or the league. You can barely read the ad during game action so its probably not that great for the advertiser. And that ad money is just a small amount for a league the size of the NBA, or NHL for that matter. 

But let me reiterate for everyone: I absolutely hate the idea of an ad on a hockey jersey. 

The new US tv deal that the NHL has officially signed is more than double what they were getting from NBC. I'm not naïve enough to think this eliminates the possibility of uniform ads, but hopefully this, combined with the Seattle expansion money, slows the tides for a little while.

44 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The new US tv deal that the NHL has officially signed is more than double what they were getting from NBC. I'm not naïve enough to think this eliminates the possibility of uniform ads, but hopefully this, combined with the Seattle expansion money, slows the tides for a little while.

Hopefully it helps with cap issues. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

3 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Hopefully it helps with cap issues. 

I imagine the cap stays flat for a few years, honestly. I wonder if the NHL might end up re-opening expansion at some point this decade due to the ramifications this whole pandemic situation has brought upon them; both Vegas and Seattle were decided on before the pandemic, after all.

Weird thing with the Ducks Reverse Retros. 

When they were revealed, they were shown with the NOB being straight across on a namebar and that's how the NOB appeared on retail jerseys. However, during the first game they wore them, they had arched, no-namebar names, which is what the original Wild Wing jersey had. Then the Ducks had an online auction for the gameworn RR's from the first game and came out in the second RR game with the NOB being straight across on a namebar like in the reveal.

This image is from somebody who won one of the first set's of RR's and posted the certificate of authentication on a jersey Facebook group, where the Ducks acknowledge the NOB change and blame it on NHL jersey guidelines.

rW96oE2.png

I've never heard of that guideline before. What about the Rangers and the Red Wings? And it's not just a RR thing either because the Rangers still have the arched namebar and the Red Wings still have the arched letters for those.

IEI5Tg1.png

9 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Weird thing with the Ducks Reverse Retros. 

When they were revealed, they were shown with the NOB being straight across on a namebar and that's how the NOB appeared on retail jerseys. However, during the first game they wore them, they had arched, no-namebar names, which is what the original Wild Wing jersey had. Then the Ducks had an online auction for the game-worn RR's from the first game and came out in the second RR game with the NOB being straight across on a namebar like in the reveal.

This image is from somebody who won one of the first set's of RR's and posted the certificate of authentication on a jersey Facebook group, where the Ducks acknowledge the NOB change and blame it on NHL jersey guidelines.

I've never heard of that guideline before. What about the Rangers and the Red Wings?

I think that certificate is saying everything in the style guide had a straight nameplate; thus the mistake was on the Ducks. 

Like you note...the Red Wings, Rangers, and Avalanche have arched names, but they're also in the style guide that way. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The amount of exposure the Oilers are giving these navy alt. sweaters in Battle of Alberta games scares me...

1. That they think it's their best sweater?

2. That they're going to make this their main home sweater in the years to come...?

3. They feel going orange vs. red and yellow wouldn't look good?

Oilers need to go back to the drawing board, for my money. Maybe make a set based on the RR...

Archived