2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

Also, like, the Flying V was REVILED at the time. Like, not even in a "so bad, it's kinda good" way, it was flat out despised. Players hated 'em, fans hated 'em, pretty much everyone but management hated 'em. People considered the Kachinas ugly, but the Flying V's are a whole 'nother level of ugly from any other ugly jersey in the league's history.

Suggesting that should come back as an alternate over something like the WCE-era jersey is insanity. At least that look isn't considered one of the most embarrassingly stupid design gaffes of all time like the V is.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Dunno if it's that one specifically. My hunch is that it's a blue and green WCE-era jersey, but of the standard design rather than the alt;

spacer.png

spacer.png

So one of these in the modern colors.

Each year in that video is a date a jersey came out. The Canucks black/red 3rd jersey was released in 2001

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

Also, like, the Flying V was REVILED at the time. Like, not even in a "so bad, it's kinda good" way, it was flat out despised. Players hated 'em, fans hated 'em, pretty much everyone but management hated 'em.

Suggesting that should come back as an alternate over something like the WCE-era jersey is insanity. At least that look isn't considered one of the most embarrassingly stupid design gaffes of all time.

Right but in all my time discussing the Canucks identity in various places I have never once heard someone genuinely advocate for the Flying Vs to return as the full time primaries.

However, we're not talking about a full time switch. We're talking about an altered one-off in a gimmicky jersey series. I don't see why the Flying V is so horrible in that circumstance.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Blues going red confirmed.

Cats were one of the navy 96s, as well.

Rags were the navy and red 96 with silver.

Almost all these numbers correspond when a particular jersey was released. I don't know why this is so hard for people

NYR's Lady liberty debuted in 1996

Blues 90's jersey debuted in 1995

25 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Right but in all my time discussing the Canucks identity in various places I have never once heard someone genuinely advocate for the Flying Vs to return as the full time primaries.

However, we're not talking about a full time switch. We're talking about an altered one-off in a gimmicky jersey series. I don't see why the Flying V is so horrible in that circumstance.

Because whether it's a one off or full time alternate, you still want it to look good.  The Flying V in any colours, does not.  

27 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Disclosure: This is a concept, and not mine.

I like how that dude is doing a mock up of a jersey and questioning the red and couldn't even google the damn history of their jerseys. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

1 minute ago, M4One said:

Because whether it's a one off or full time alternate, you still want it to look good.  The Flying V in any colours, does not.  

Besides, they did just throw back to the Flying V for the 50th, why would they just reuse that in different colors instead of doing a new design?

3 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

I may be in the minority here, and while a white Hartford jersey may look cool, I hope it's a more Carolina-focused throwback, even if it is in a white and green colorway. As a Canes fan I'm cool with the Heritage night jersey 1-2x each season, but otherwise, leave Hartford in the past...

If all they're doing is catering to the fanbase, that's one thing. I personally think that the reduced revenues due to Covid are why this whole initiative is happening, as sales for new jerseys should help soften that blow. If you take that view, what focus is likely to sell more: Carolina or Hartford?

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Also, like, the Flying V was REVILED at the time. Like, not even in a "so bad, it's kinda good" way, it was flat out despised. Players hated 'em, fans hated 'em, pretty much everyone but management hated 'em. People considered the Kachinas ugly, but the Flying V's are a whole 'nother level of ugly from any other ugly jersey in the league's history.

Suggesting that should come back as an alternate over something like the WCE-era jersey is insanity. At least that look isn't considered one of the most embarrassingly stupid design gaffes of all time like the V is.

Look, people can argue until they're blue in the face if the worst was the Flying V, Buffaslug, or Peyote Head, but I will forever hold that it is Nashville's Mustards for one reason: not only were the aesthetics hideous, but the jersey was flawed functionally, as well. The chest wording peeled, and the double layering makes them heavy, hot, and uncomfortable to wear. They are misery incarnate.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

26 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I personally think that the reduced revenues due to Covid are why this whole initiative is happening, as sales for new jerseys should help soften that blow.

I can't be sure (@andrewharrington could tell more about this) but I guess Reverse Retro was designed and approved much before covid so pandemic has nothing to do that Hurricanes chosen Whalers scheme uniforms and with whole concept by general. Money? That's a different talking.

4r2eer.png

8 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I can't be sure (@andrewharrington could tell more about this) but I guess this whole Reverse Retro idea was designed and approved much before covid so pandemic has nothing to do that they choose Whalers scheme uniforms.

The revenue point would stand on its own, even without Covid.

We're nearing the eight month mark since Covid hit the sports world like a...well, plague. That is plenty of time to put together something like RR, especially since the premise is primarily color-swapping old templates (a bit of an oversimplification, yes, but only a bit)

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived