2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

Yes, but in those 8 months adidas with NHL and teams probably designed and approved things for 21/22 or 22/23 season. Don't forget that Canes used Whalers retro for last two seasons so is not like they came up with that idea in this year.

4r2eer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

If all they're doing is catering to the fanbase, that's one thing. I personally think that the reduced revenues due to Covid are why this whole initiative is happening, as sales for new jerseys should help soften that blow. If you take that view, what focus is likely to sell more: Carolina or Hartford?

Look, people can argue until they're blue in the face if the worst was the Flying V, Buffaslug, or Peyote Head, but I will forever hold that it is Nashville's Mustards for one reason: not only were the aesthetics hideous, but the jersey was flawed functionally, as well. The chest wording peeled, and the double layering makes them heavy, hot, and uncomfortable to wear. They are misery incarnate.

Maybe on the covid part.  But you would have to think they were already in the works before covid hit.  If anything, the NHL/Adidas looked at what the NBA/Nike is doing with all the jerseys they have each year, and went 'why aren't we doing that?'

Also, I'd take Preds mustard over flying v and I'm a Canucks fan.  The design is much more pleasing than the flying v.  As for the fit and finish, well, in that case, they would be the worst ever.

21 minutes ago, M4One said:

Maybe on the covid part.  But you would have to think they were already in the works before covid hit.  If anything, the NHL/Adidas looked at what the NBA/Nike is doing with all the jerseys they have each year, and went 'why aren't we doing that?'

That's certainly a possibility, but I'm inclined to think it was more of a "toying with" than fully "in the works" under that scenario. That's primarily due to timing, as the league hasn't had a unified initiative like this ever, and I have a hard time believing Covid wasn't at the heart of said timing.

Maybe the fact I think the NBA's deluge of jerseys has had as many (if not more) misses than hits is coloring my thinking here. Maybe it's that I work in healthcare, and that's causing me to overestimate how much of a factor the virus has played in people's decision-making. Probably some combination of the two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited they're doing this, even if I have low expectations from my team. Based on the commentary video the mothership did, I'm really looking forward to what the Kings, Bolts, Avs, Rangers, and Canes are going to do. I'm also cautiously optimistic about the Devils, Yotes, Wild, Stars, Panthers, and Caps.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 minutes ago, Bmac said:

The news of the fourth jersey program broke January 1, 2020. 

Whether or not the plans were finalized at the point, I'd say things were happening with or without the pandemic.

Words like "depending...potential...considering...coming" really seems to put it in the realm of "toying with," as I said earlier. That said, weren't there similar league-wide throwback rumblings ahead of the centennial season? What is the most significant difference in before and now? Teams have lost money, due to Covid. Those losses are also enough to win over teams that could have been hold-outs, as they appear to be at least somewhat reluctant to alternate jerseys, in general (like TOR, NJ, MTL, and DET)

Finally pulling the trigger on something that had been kicked around for at least a few years seems like a great way to help. Especially when you consider the money nostalgia has historically brought in for teams. Recoloring them is particularly brilliant, since people who would normally be content with their original version of the sweater are going to be forking out dough for the new version.

I'm not being critical of the league. It's actually a really good business move, and comes at a time when the money is much needed from a business vantage. Am I reading too much into it? Possibly, maybe probably. It's just where my thinking goes, as it's a nice distraction from election and pandemic headlines here in the US.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

7 minutes ago, Brass said:

I feel like most of these jerseys are going to 100% gaudy and I 100% want each and every one of them.

I dunno, Avs, Rangers, and Canes have a shot at something truly great, based on the guesses from the mothership. Kings and Bolts...is there such a thing as tastefully gaudy?

The only three I'm expecting to lay an egg are the Preds, Isles, and Sabres. I'm probably just setting expectations for Nashville low. No room to disappoint, only to exceed. Their WCs were decent, but I only tolerate the current roads and hate the homes.

I have a feeling that these reverse retro jerseys are going to be very polarizing. You'll either like them or your won't. There is no way that the jerseys will please everyone, its in the very nature of the design plan. It either takes a beloved design and ruins it, or it takes a hated design and makes it worse. Is there any way it can turn out any other way? I mean yeah, there could be a gem or two, but I don't know if it'll be that common.

I know there's only so much you can do with Toronto, but they should had gone with a white jersey with Montreal going with blue.

It would be really disappointing if the Rangers and Panthers simply brought back their old alternates with little to no change.

Curious about

Carolina - The color actually looks grey (not white - compare to the other photos). Could it be these jerseys with grey as the main color?

spacer.png

Colorado - Nordiques year (79) but tease is in current colors. Maybe these (with Avalanche log) but the red is their current maroon? 

spacer.png

Islanders - Will it really just be their 1980s jerseys in navy? That seems weird. But....Lou

Florida - They cant just do their navy jersey from 1996 right? Will it be their current look in navy? Hopefully they use the jumping cat.

Rangers - Will they just do the regular Liberty jerseys? I feel like they will :censored: it up. Maybe they will but the diagonal RNAGERS as the logo or the alternate 2000's Ranger shield as the front logo. And put Liberty on the shoulders. 

spacer.png

CGY - Blasty jersey with with the main C logo?

SJ - a grey version of these has potential to look good.

spacer.png

Tampa Bay - A blue version of this just has potential to look good.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Florida - They cant just do their navy jersey from 1996 right? Will it be their current look in navy? Hopefully they use the jumping cat.

Probably the red jersey with navy and red swapped, like so;

spacer.png

EDIT: I just realized; the Rockies were around in 1979...could that be the Avs' jersey instead of the Nordiques' design?

41 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

EDIT: I just realized; the Rockies were around in 1979...could that be the Avs' jersey instead of the Nordiques' design?

Wow that looks great.

And yes. You may be on to something. Maybe this in Avs colors?

The reverse retro is a horrible idea, I mean I think it would have been more fun just doing a revisit of the retros in the teams history that they still have rights to. 

Canucks and the moronic whale, I will never like seeing that eye sore here and yeah, being a Vancouverite and not being a Canucks fan is odd, but I just can't stand that logo, it's hideous. 

The best logo I ever saw that was Vancouver sports related, was the Grizzlies. The Penguins diagonal black jersey in white is vomit inducing. Adidas can go suck it. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

I would say considering Edmonton, Winnipeg, Carolina, and Colorado all picked 1979 as the year to throwback to and Carolina is going to be in Whalers' colours, I would bet money that Colorado's will be based on the Nordiques as that is when those teams joined the NHL.  And, yes, I know it's not the original Jets.  So, unless 1979 was a significant year in the Rockies' history, it will likely be based on the Nordiques.  The team even suggested the possibility of wearing Nordiques jerseys for their 25th anniversary.  This could be how they go about doing it.

3 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Is adidas unable to replicate jade properly? 

The Ducks’ alternate in 2018-19 used jade just fine, plus adidas made all the historical warm up jerseys that year with no issues. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived