2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

15 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

The Nordiques franchise is considered to be sacred amongst those groups. Quebec wants their hockey team back, yet the Avs have a jersey done in a disrespectful way.

That's how I see it.

It’s not disrespectful at all.

The Nordiques aren’t coming back any time soon. The franchise itself has been in Colorado a lot longer than it was in Quebec (and far more successful). I highly doubt Joe Sakic’s talking to adidas and asking “How can we make a jersey that disrespects a fan base I used to play for?”

The Nordiques were never on the same level as the Browns in Cleveland or the Sonics in Seattle....both of those arguments on here are fairly ahistoric and somewhat disingenuous. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It’s not disrespectful at all.

The Nordiques aren’t coming back any time soon. The franchise itself has been in Colorado a lot longer than it was in Quebec (and far more successful). I highly doubt Joe Sakic’s talking to adidas and asking “How can we make a jersey that disrespects a fan base I used to play for?”

The Nordiques were never on the same level as the Browns in Cleveland or the Sonics in Seattle....both of those arguments on here are fairly ahistoric and somewhat disingenuous. 

That statement is on its own disrespectful.  What makes you think that the Nordiques were not as important to the people of Quebec City?  Are you saying that they are less important than the Browns or Sonics because QC has a smaller population than Cleveland or Seattle?

The Canadiens-Nordiques rivalry was as close as North America ever got to a real knock-down-drag-out European rivalry-as-proxy. There wasn't an equivalent cultural valence to the Supersonics, for better or worse (though I'm still just as upset about their relocation as I am the Nords'). 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Please don't.  I know some people would love it if the Wild somehow became the North Stars, but they are not that team.  If Dallas had changed their name when they moved to anything besides Stars, then I think it would be okay like how it is with the Jets 2.0.  

I never said the Wild should change their name. Referred the Reverse Retro jersey. If you are going to go that far, why not the North Stars "N logo" on the front.

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

No idea where this is from, but this would be a good compromise.

8499663795c50b5f7aadbe1d3aa0630a.png

That image was thrown around on social media prior to the unveiling of the Wild's Stadium Series game. I would be sort of okay with it, but it feels wrong to me.

30 minutes ago, heavybass said:

I mean i wouldn't mind that, the French Canadians though....

I don't mind them. It has more to do with Quebec City still not having their team back. Some Nordiques fans don't mind the Avs tribute. It depends.

I'm okay with it, even thought I would also love to see the Nordiques return. If the Habs face Colorado this year and wear the reverse retros, it'll bring back nostalgia of the Habs/Nordiques rivalry. I'm French Canadian, but I'm from the Montreal area and a Habs fan.

42 minutes ago, cityhockeyfever said:

I never said the Wild should change their name. Referred the Reverse Retro jersey. If you are going to go that far, why not the North Stars "N logo" on the front.

That image was thrown around on social media prior to the unveiling of the Wild's Stadium Series game. I would be sort of okay with it, but it feels wrong to me.

I know you didn't.  I said some people do.  All I'm saying is the Wild should never put the North Stars logo on any of their jerseys.

I would have rather seen the Wild throwback to their original green jersey and have a red version of it.

1 hour ago, Howie_16 said:

That statement is on its own disrespectful.  What makes you think that the Nordiques were not as important to the people of Quebec City?  Are you saying that they are less important than the Browns or Sonics because QC has a smaller population than Cleveland or Seattle?

Because being around 16 years in the NHL is not quite the same as 45 years in the NFL or 40 years in the NBA. I don’t see any Stanley Cup championships in Quebec’s history...do you?? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Because being around 16 years in the NHL is not quite the same as 45 years in the NFL or 40 years in the NBA. I don’t see any Stanley Cup championships in Quebec’s history...do you?? 

There were also 7 years (including an Avco Cup championship) in the World Hockey Association.  I would say that these 23 consecutive seasons puts them on par with the Browns & Sonics.

Unpopular opinion: The Nordiques jerseys are overated. The logo sucks. Its what? 3/4 of an ihloo weirdly shaped like an N? And then a horribly basic stick and puck? And the jerseys dont even have stipes. The only good part of the jersey is the fleur de whatever its called

10 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Unpopular opinion: The Nordiques jerseys are overated. The logo sucks. Its what? 3/4 of an ihloo weirdly shaped like an N? And then a horribly basic stick and puck? And the jerseys dont even have stipes. The only good part of the jersey is the fleur de whatever its called

I mean, there's a reason why they were moving to that wolf jersey thing if they stayed. It's beloved for nostalgia's sake.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Yeah, I’ve never been the hugest fan either of the entire Nordiques brand, outside of the name itself.

I know saying that jerseys look like “practice jerseys” gets thrown around a bit all willy nilly, but the Nordiques jerseys look like practice jerseys. They’re just so plain and boring.

32 minutes ago, kimball said:

I mean, there's a reason why they were moving to that wolf jersey thing if they stayed. It's beloved for nostalgia's sake.

If they had stayed, I see the Nordiques following a path similar to the Oilers and Flyers.

Making a minor tweak or two to the jerseys early on, a black alternate is introduced and becomes the primary dark jersey somewhere around the turn of the century, getting an absolutely terrible EDGE jersey, bringing back the old Nordiques jersey as an alternate in 2011 to a lot of fanfare, promoting that alternate to home with a matching white while the EDGE dark jersey stays around as an alternate for a season or two before being quietly retired.

IbjBaeE.png

On 11/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, the admiral said:

This wasn't Marcel Aubut cashing out on the Nordiques and the Avalanche being effectively started anew (and even that's not true -- they retained a surprisingly large number of French-Canadian front office personnel). 

Their farm team even stayed in Cornwall, ON for an extra year.

I know I keep coming back to this, but the designer of the logo had the right idea when he drew it up in (what I believe to be) powder blue and royal blue. He didn't want rouge/blanc/bleu because those were the colors of the Canadiens, who represented the old order, but team management recolored it anyway to get red in there. Red never belonged. Too English.

I don't mind the minimalism of the design: the fleur-de-lis acted as a stand-in for hem stripes, so to get too creative would draw attention from that feature and from the idiosyncrasy of the very Trudeau-era logo. But if anything made the Nords' sweaters look like practice gear, it was that they persisted with screen-printed numbers like a damn rec team well into the late '80s:

item_20028_1.jpg

"Ow do you stidge de numberse? Hi ad been hironing dem on hall dis time!"

I've experimented with Nordiques concepts where the cuff/hem stripes recreate the crenelations on the city flag, but there's a solid argument that the mere existence of a team in a small French-speaking city with a 400-year-old walled city center is so bold and attention-getting that the uniforms don't need to be conceptual to get the point across. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, cityhockeyfever said:

Who cares it’s beautiful.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Canadiens-Nordiques rivalry was as close as North America ever got to a real knock-down-drag-out European rivalry-as-proxy. There wasn't an equivalent cultural valence to the Supersonics, for better or worse (though I'm still just as upset about their relocation as I am the Nords'). 

It's somehow still the case at some point, even though a lot of people here now cheer for the Habs. But in some sports bar, i've often seen someone with Nordiques stuff messing around with a Habs fan (at one time they even started fighting). That's how big this rivalry was

Archived