2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

If I could change one of these, it would be St. Louis. Not just because I don't like it but because I think that could be unpopular to the point that red and/or asymmetry worm their way back into the look.  The pre-edge is my favorite Blues look and the current, a flawed version of that, is my #2.  I never liked the inclusion of red and I really hope it doesn't make a comeback.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I look, the more I like it. I'd say that it's about as good as I could have hoped for with such a ho-hum template. It's easily an improvement over the current home set, and feels a lot more balanced. It's safe to say I'll be getting one. While there are probably better ways to fix the current look, I could get on board with this becoming the new primary, especially as it'd be a step up from what we currently have. I also love that skull logo getting some love, on the shoulder.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

5 minutes ago, Beantown77 said:

Dallas' new RR sweater looks like what happens when you take the stunning 1999 design and suck the life out of it like they did with their 2007 set:

spacer.png

How hard would it really have been for the Stars to just fill the bottom part of the template with black or green or even silver?

A bit of an "easter egg" - the numbers and C/A style for the new Stars RR jersey is the same as what they wore in the mid-90s, pre-star templates. (Green with white & black outlines)

Chronicling the 1999 Dallas Stars: Goodbye to Maple Leaf Gardens -  Defending Big D

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think it's safe to say that the NHL's first league-wide jersey initiative with all teams buying-in is a success, on the whole. I think a fair number of us had our expectations tempered by the OITGDNHL outlook, only to be pleasantly surprised by the overall quality (myself included). 

I think only two or three teams put out truly bad sweaters, a number are middling to okay. There are some truly good looks here that I can see becoming full-time alternates. There are even a few that surpass their team's current primary and should at least be considered for promotion as the basis for a new primary look.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Isles' jersey is friggin' pathetic. Literally all that changed was they made the blue darker and swapped the places of the white and orange stripes. If the Coyotes and Ducks went crazy with the Peyote and Wild Wing, you could've done the damned Fisherman at least.

Detroit's is literally just going to look entirely white on the ice, too, and the Stars took a bonafide home run and somehow turned it into a self-triple play to lose, but most of the rest are at least decent.

Okay with alphabetical order:

Anaheim - Good remake of Wild Duck

Arizona - Wow! That is an improvment over original jersey

Boston - Whoever thought that white cuffs on Bruins is a good idea should be slap in a face, that small detail ruined whole jersey.

Buffalo - Goathead look so good in white-yellow version.

Calgary - Good one

Carolina - It's basically a throwback but in gray base instead white.

Chicago - Make it an regular alternate!

Colorado - Great

Columbus - I'm not sure if Navy yoke wouldn't be a better option

Dallas - Pretty meh, that silver on crest looks like gold with too much time on sun.

Detroit - Are you serious? Make those stripes red! Same with collar.

Edmonton - Good one

Florida - Good one

Los Angeles - I like it. Maybe it's time to go back to Purple and Yellow?

Minnesota - One of the best right here.

Montreal - Wierd to see Habs in Blue, but I like it

Nashville - Easily better alternate than Mustard jersey

New Jersey - This is how their alternate would look if Lou wasn't their GM.

New York Islanders - It's a reverse retro but to 1998 not 1972. Very safety attempt.

New York Rangers - Worse jersey from all, put some color on sleeves or collar. It look so plain and lifeless.

Ottawa - I bet they would try to keep it as an alternate.

Philadelphia - I love it, IMO best from all of them. Please go back to that design permanently!

Pittsburgh - Cowards didn't put Robo Pen on shoulders

San Jose - I guess "Shark teeth" is missing due to template limitation, anyway it's a nice jersey

St. Louis - Good one. I hope they keep blue pants for it instead of adding a red one.

Tampa Bay - Better than they current set

Toronto - Correct logo on shoulders and incorrect on front. How they could fu..ed up this? Grey isn't that bad, it look almost like white.

Vancouver - Quite nice

Vegas - Surprisingly it look very nice.

Washington - Look at Tampa Bay

Winnipeg - I'm not feeling that, maybe adding some red here and there would help?

My top 3:

1. Flyers

2. Wild

3. Blackhawks

My bottom 3:

29. Stars

30. Red Wings

31. Rangers

4r2eer.png

4 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Just realized the Preds used silver instead of white in the main parts of the jersey... make that white and use the modern logos and it's a good home jersey.Reverse_Retro_Youth_Jersey__34614.160554

Honestly, you make a few tweaks to the RR, and it'd be a good primary. Heck, just taking the current as-is would be a step up from the current look.

This is fun.  I don't particularly love some of them (sad to say I don't really like the Flyers' look, it's a little...too funky and weird).  But some are fun nostalgia trips, or cool ideas to be seen as a one-off.  And listen, I think this is a good compromise, as well, for the NHL.  They'll sell a lot and this should reset any worry of ad-patches.  Do I want to see this become a yearly thing?  I mean, if it's every team gets a one-off?  Fine.  Don't go down the NBA "City edition" slope, though.  But if it comes down to ad-patches or this?  I'll pick this.  The league needs to find some extra revenue sources after covid this year.  So I don't mind it.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Isles' jersey is friggin' pathetic. Literally all that changed was they made the blue darker and swapped the places of the white and orange stripes. If the Coyotes and Ducks went crazy with the Peyote and Wild Wing, you could've done the damned Fisherman at least.

Detroit's is literally just going to look entirely white on the ice, too, and the Stars took a bonafide home run and somehow turned it into a self-triple play to lose, but most of the rest are at least decent.

I don't understand why the Isles couldn't at the very least make the jersey orange with the exact same template. I know Lou is there but come on, you've already technically changed it. In for a penny...

Detroit could have just made those silver stripes red and it would technically mimic their home striping but be different. 

Just now, _J_ said:

Even if you made all the silver yellow, it would be a step up.

Remove the weird cut-off cuffs and replace them with something a bit more normal and it'd be real nice. At least it'd give some extra color and life to the Preds' identity besides "marigold".

IMO the winners of this are:

Minnesota (North Stars identity is probably my all-time favourite)

San Jose (Bringing back my favourite Sharks jerseys)

Florida (Beautiful striping)

LA (Purple and Yellow is an underrated colour scheme)

and the losers are:

Detroit (Looks like a practice jersey)

Dallas (Don't like how the bottom isn't filled in)

Toronto (Logo way too big, should be silver like the yoke)

Columbus (Blue shouldn't be the least used colour on a Blue Jackets jersey)

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

DISLIKE:

Dallas

Detroit (Why not go with an old Falcons or Cougars design?)

Winnipeg

I agree with this, and one of the things these three have in common either an unnecessary use or overuse of either gray or silver. 

The silver in the Stars' use of silver on white makes the letters of the wordmark imperceptible. The Red Wings' silver lines similarly feel unnecessary or unsubstantial. And the Jets seem as if they catered to design trends in leaning so heavily into anthracite/dark gray and avoiding the red accent color all together. 

All of these, even the good ones, look like they took some kid’s concepts from the concepts board and made them into a real uniform. Who among us hasn’t at one time or another taken the Canadiens red Jersey and flipped all the colors to make a blue alternate? It’s been done on this website hundreds of times dating back to the inception of the boards. 

I hate the Jackets one, but I’d hate it a lot less if they’d had the stones to put stinger on the shoulders. I may have even bought one, but now it’s unpurchasable. They totally Chickened out. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived