2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

1 minute ago, Bayne said:

Am I the only one who loves San Jose's? Maybe it's just because I'm so relieved to see them wear something that isn't what they currently wear.

It's good to see gray again, which is usually a weird thing to say about sports.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

Okay, gathered my thoughts;

Western Conference

Pacific Division
ANA - Spectacular, love that they're just embracing the corniness of their history.
ARI - B-E-A-Utiful. Just absolutely gorgeous.
CGY - FINALLY...BLASTY HAS COME BACK TO CAL-GA-RY! These are nice, as well. Hope we see the '04 reds make a return now that the template's available to them.
EDM - Meh. Would've preferred a throwback to the navy and copper days just for something a bit more unique.
LAK - Make. These. The. Primary. Look. NOW.
SJS - A welcome change of pace, and fortuitously (or more likely purposefully) timed for the anniversary. Assuming they bring the OG teal back as a third, they'll have every design era covered.
VAN - Pretty slick, and I love that the West Coast Express era is finally getting a little more love; and boy, am I glad they didn't do a basic green jersey with that stupid lumberjack on the front. Now, if only we could get the main set...
VGK - Quite nice, and a good way for them to get around their young nature.

Central Division
CHI - Pretty solid, though nothing jaw-droppingly unusual.
COL - Cela aurait dû être un retour aux Rocheuses ou quelque chose du genre, car cela semble pratiquement sacrilège à voir. Ce look appartient au Québec, pas à Denver!
DAL - They took a grand slam, a bonafide home run...and completely :censored:ed it up. Way to go, Dallas, you somehow made the star jerseys boring. And you're probably going monocolor. How VERY. VERY. WONDERFUL😬
MIN - Verrrry nice, though I do wish they'd gone with the '91 design.
NSH - Better then their current home jersey because there's more than just yellow.
STL - VERY weird, but definitely not a bad look. I'm not against it because they're not named for the color, but for the genre of music.
WPG - Megh. Not terrible, but certainly not super inspiring. An Aviator Blue base would've worked a whole lot nicer.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
BOS - Gorgeous, and I'd love this to be used as an alternate again.
BUF - Good, but I wish we'd gotten the Goathead design. This jersey never really appealed to me.
DET - BAAAAAAAD. It looks like a completely featureless jersey if you're not paying attention. The Howe-era jersey would've been way better.
FLA - Purrfect. This design in red, with a tweaked version of the modernized leaping logo, would be exactly what the Cats need to get back on the right track, identity-wise. Hopefully this lets us see the red version come along afterwards and make way for properly-colored throwbacks for the team anniversary.
MTL - Very solid, and just as conservative as I expected from such a proud and storied organization.
TOR - MLEH. Grey arm yokes, anachronistic and mismatched logos and probably the least interesting Leafs jersey design.
TBL - This is pretty damn nice. Hopefully, this is leading into them bringing back the black version for their anniversary season so they can move on from the Maple Wings era of their design.

Metropolitan Division
CBJ - Interesting, but definitely Caps-esque.
NJD - Gorgeous. This should be their permanent third.
NYI - SO. FRIGGIN. BORING. You had the Fisherman at your disposal and you go with something that looks like it was made in a rush because you realized you hadn't submitted a design 5 minutes before the deadline?!
NYR - Liberty returns! I want this logo to see more use in the team's branding from now on; maybe we could see it in their current color scheme as an alternate some time down the line?
PHI - Pretty decent, but nothing out of the ordinary.
PIT - They still refuse to use the Robopen. And that makes me sad.
WSH - A welcome change from the Reebok holdovers the Caps currently use. The Screaming Eagle looks sharp as hell in the red, white and blue and I hope it transitions to a more permanent role with the team.

U forgot Carolina & Ottawa :)

thecatch.jpg

Good:

Anaheim- The jade ice is a bit weird but it will benefit from eggplant pants.

Arizona- The purple sky looks a lot more like an Arizona night than green. Better than the original.

Boston- It could use a yoke, but a solid outing. The return of meth bear is a nice touch.

Calgary- The red hems look very dated now, so this is a nice update. Love him or hate him, Blasty is a well-designed logo.

Colorado- All insult to Quebec aside, this is a sexy jersey.

Columbus- Should they have used this as an opportunity to use the prototype jerseys? Should Stinger be on it? Yes. Is it bad? No. 

Edmonton- A nice WHA throwback that fits well with the other orange heavy jerseys.

Florida- This jersey with the updated leaping panther would be incredible.

LA- This is the update they needed all along. 

Montreal- It's strange to see a pro team "borrow" from countless junior teams, but this was a long time coming.

Nashville- It's nice to see how the inaugural jerseys would have looked if they had emphasized yellow instead of navy.

New Jersey- Another one that was a long time coming. Gorgeous.

St. Louis- They're named after the music. Deal with it.

San Jose- This is a nice update of an underrated set.

Tampa- Not bad, and better than their primaries.

Vancouver- I shouldn't like this, but I do. I think it looks better than the original, which I own.

Washington- The eagle is so much better than a word mark. They should have done this a long time ago.

Vegas- Just because you're the Golden Knights doesn't mean you can't wear a different colour.

Bad: Buffalo- If they had made this a blue jersey instead of white, it would be in the "Good" category.

Carolina- The Whalers are a nice touch, but @spyboy1 made a better fauxback of the green Plymouth jerseys with the 90s Whalers logo. 

Chicago- It's boring. A white version of this jersey would have been incredible.

Minnesota- If they had made the river white, it moves up to "Good". They also could have used the M logo. 

Islanders- Is an orange or teal Fisherman too much to ask for, Lou?

Rangers- Should have taken a page from the Wolf Pack and used white hems. These look like practice jerseys, and Liberty was already on their practice jerseys.

Philadelphia- A black version of their current uniforms would have been nice. It has precedent  

Pittsburgh- Can you imagine a white version of the gradient RoboPen jerseys? I can.

Ugly:

Dallas- These were simply in the "Bad" category until the news broke about the white pants.

Detroit- With all that history, they went with silver? Just give us a red version of this or a white version of this

Ottawa- I was hoping for a white version of the sash jersey, or at least some white between the stripes

Toronto- Was a white version of this that hard?

Winnipeg- They took a classic RWB design and stripped all the life out of it. If they had made it aviator blue with red, it would have been passable.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Ok I'm not sure if this makes Detroit and Toronto wearing silver any better but remember when the Flyers and Pens leaked the rumor was going around that they were designed to be worn against each other so maybe they're designed to be worn against each other and I think I at least like the idea a little more then. Probably not right but just popped in my head. 

3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Detroit could have used yellow:

i0ZufhsoX1KTUf7V3R1PzqVw7GyikEdJ80_xvjZs

Problem is the Falcons didn't wear yellow.  It was red lettering with a black outline.

The Red Wings always showed the red/black version of that text.  The first time the idea of yellow being used on those Falcons sweaters was in 2002's History of Hockeytown by Bob Duff, published by the Red Wings organization itself.  I read that when it came out and immediately started spamming all the reference sites to tell them about it, so they all switched.  But the Red Wings continued using the red/black version.  When researching for his book, Creamer found no contemporary evidence of yellow having been used.  So it looks like Duff got it wrong and I signal boosted it, leading to a bunch of places showing red/yellow text that was never used.

Oops.

S Class:  Elevate to full-time-status now!
Arizona Coyotes:  Who knew all it took was replacing green with purple to rescue this look.  This needs to become their full-time alternate for the Kachina look.
Florida Panthers:  Great compromise between the current branding and their stunning inaugural look.
L.A. Kings:  The colours are beautiful and they actually made them work with the Gretzky logo.

Nashville Predators: Make this the new home jersey.
Tampa Bay Lightning:  Ditto.

Vancouver Canucks:  I'm biased but I don't care.  Going with blue and green fixes just about every problem I had with that jersey.  The V's on the sleeve are a nice touch.
Vegas Golden Knights:  This is how you do diagonal stripes correctly (take notes Calgary and Dallas).  Everything about this jersey is stunning.

A Class:  Great
Buffalo Sabres:  Perfectly executed re imagining of an underrated look.
Columbus Blue Jackets:  Doesn't make much sense for the team namesake but still looks pretty great.  Happy to see green back.
Edmonton Oilers: Better than any of their current jerseys.
New Jersey Devils:  The green is an interesting choice but looks great.
New York Islanders:  Why fix what isn't broken.
Philadelphia Flyers:  Glad to see this template back.  Colour treatment looks great.
San Jose Sharks:  Great to see this template back.  Just wish the jersey was teal.

Washington Capitals:  Add the metallic bronze highlights to the logos and this moves a class higher.

B Class:  Good

Boston Bruins:  Not as good as their first Winter Classic jersey but close.

Montreal Canadiens:  Looks a bit odd but I you can't beat that striping configuration. 

Ottawa Senators:  Too similar to what they just released but pretty good on its own merits

C  Class: Average

Carolina Hurricanes:  Not a fan of the silver or them using the Whalers identity again. 
Chicago Blackhawks:  Boring.

New York Rangers:  The wrecked striping sinks this once great design.
Pittsburgh Penguins:  RoboPen or GTFOH.

Toronto Maple Leafs:  Why silver?

St Louis Blues:  Looks exactly like a Starter Fashion Jersey.

D Class:  Bad

Calgary Flames:  The horribly dated logo is made worse by empty striping.
Colorado Avalanche:  You're not the Nordiques

Minnesota Wild:  You most certainly are not the Northstars, that identity belongs to Dallas.

Winnipeg JetsA Dark, depressing re-imagining of a lackluster design.

F Class:  Total Trash

Anaheim Ducks:  The worst jersey ever made gets a white version and I'm struggling to figure out why.  Wildwing contrasts horribly on this base.
Dallas Stars:  The logo wasn't super visible on white when it had Gold.  Using silver makes it even worse and the striping looks unfinished.
Detroit Red Wings:  Looks like it was designed by someone who hates the Red Wings

5 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Minnesota Wild:  You most certainly are not the Northstars, that identity belongs to Dallas.

Actually, I don't think it does. The name, at least, belongs to the league, not Dallas, and I can't find the logos under Dallas' ownership, either; I expect they're probably also under league ownership.

If that look belonged to Dallas, why did they not even come close to bothering with a North Stars jersey and let the Wild go rampant with one?

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Actually, I don't think it does. The name, at least, belongs to the league, not Dallas, and I can't find the logos under Dallas' ownership, either; I expect they're probably also under league ownership.

If that look belonged to Dallas, why did they not even come close to bothering with a North Stars jersey and let the Wild go rampant with one?

IMO those colors belong to Minnesota (since they actually wore those colors in Minnesota) much more than Dallas.

21 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Because the stars actually have a history in Dallas that they can and will throwback to. The Wild on the other hand... they'll play Minnesota dress-up. Either that or throwback to the 03 team when they got worked by J.S. Giguere in the West Finals, the pinnacle of their history?

"State of Hockey! No Wild player will ever wear #1, because it was retired for the fans during our first game!"

(In saying all that, I would have liked to see the original Wild jerseys return for this because I actually quite like those, though I don't know what they would have looked like in red given the whole "reverse" aspect of this whole exercise)

IEI5Tg1.png

Archived