2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

27 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Actually, I don't think it does. The name, at least, belongs to the league, not Dallas, and I can't find the logos under Dallas' ownership, either; I expect they're probably also under league ownership.

The team brought over the name, logo, colours, record books and even identical uniforms (save the addition of a shoulder patch) when they moved to Dallas.  I know a lot of people don't like that fact but that's the way it happened.  The Northstars are the Stars.  The Wild playing North Stars dress-up is revisionist history.

If that look belonged to Dallas, why did they not even come close to bothering with a North Stars jersey and let the Wild go rampant with one?

No clue but I'm sure they would have ended up with a vastly superior RR jersey had they did.

18 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

IMO those colors belong to Minnesota (since they actually wore those colors in Minnesota) much more than Dallas.

The Stars have only been a Green, Black and Silver team for 7 years.  For the rest of their existence they've used Northstars colours, even lifting the cup in them.  They may have switched to Metallic Gold (while still Minnesota) and darkened the green but it's still the same basic scheme.  Green, Black and Gold.  The Stars are the Northstars.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

The team brought over the name, logo, colours, record books and even identical uniforms (save the addition of a shoulder patch) when they moved to Dallas.  I know a lot of people don't like that fact but that's the way it happened.  The Northstars are the Stars.  The Wild playing North Stars dress-up is revisionist history.

No clue but I'm sure they would have ended up with a vastly superior RR jersey had they did.

The Stars have only been a Green, Black and Silver team for 7 years.  For the rest of their existence they've used Northstars colours, even lifting the cup in them.  They may have switched to Metallic Gold (while still Minnesota) and darkened the green but it's still the same basic scheme.  Green, Black and Gold.  The Stars are the Northstars.

Na they feel and look completely different. Yellow isn’t gold and the green was as you mentioned darker. Those are Minnesota Northstars colors.

In todays article by Michael Russo on the Athletic:

One of the most common questions among Minnesota hockey fans is who owns the rights to the North Stars — the Dallas Stars or the NHL?

Naturally, it’s complicated, but let’s try to answer it once and for all. Each team owns its logo and indicia, so technically, the Stars not only own their current logo, they brought the North Stars marks with them to Dallas when the club moved to Texas in 1993. But all NHL marks are subject to the league’s general licensing agreement, which the NHL dictates. So, in the case of the North Stars, the league has a substantial voice and, frankly, the final say in distributing the North Stars mark and colors to NHL licensees, like Adidas. Adidas and the NHL were instrumental in the design of all 31 reverse retro jerseys, and even though using the North Stars’ green, white and gold colors was something the Wild wanted for their fans from the very beginning, the NHL was also on board with the idea from the outset. But the Wild cannot, on their own, ever use the North Stars logo or color schemes without special approval.

Why do people in Minnesota care so much about a team that abandon them 27 years ago, that quite frankly, outside of a couple of appearances in the Stanley Cup Final, didn't accomplish much when they were there.  The Wild, who have accomplished less, but at least exist in Minnesota, will eventually surpass them for years played in the state.  It's one thing for people in Quebec to be missing the Nordiques, but Minnesota got a team back.  If the Wild were ever to win the Stanley Cup, are people in Minnesota going to still talk about how the Northstars?  Great they won, too bad they didn't do it with a N logo on their jerseys.

Let the team in Minnesota wear the North Stars colors for the weird fake throwback program. The Stars in all likelihood aren't going to wear a North Stars throwback in an actual game, and even if they did, most Dallas fans wouldn't care that much. This isn't a "rewriting of history" Cleveland situation. 

I freakin love looking at all these jerseys, this is like the coolest day in NHL Jersey history people. So much eye candy.

Biggest disappointments are Detroit, Pittsburgh and the obvious Islanders (although I have nothing bad to say about it). Dallas are a let down too, considering how good that could have looked 

San Joses retro logo is miles better than their current. This looks so strong and so classy. Not edgy and tacky like the updated version.

Ottawa are great, Arizona is fun. Anaheim is not for me but that's ok. Buffalo I wish they had used the head on the front. Not a big fan of the illustrative swords tbh. Philadelphia looks fantastic, love that black. Love it. Washington works.. it's weird but I think the elements work well together, even the hem wordmark (more so than buffalo I think). 

New Jersey... too much thickness in the hem. The balance is too bottom heavy IMO. But overall, nice. Kings, great. Avs - not a huge fan but still a nice look. Minnesota is good (I still prefer the logo in the original colours so I'm not going to want to see it continue though), Calgary is fine if you're a Flames fan. I think it's a dumb logo - kind of like Vegas'. It's meant as a shoulder patch, I think those logos look weird when you blow them up and stick them on the front of a jersey. 

Hartford, I mean Carolina... solid. I just hate that they don't embrace their own identity. But it's a nice jersey, it's just not them. Rangers, great. Tampa is awesome. It's such a surprise that those jerseys work so well. An ugly logo with a thick white hem and yoke.... but it looks great. Winnipeg, fine I guess. Columbus, good. I like that they went with red and didn't let the fact that their name is the Blue Jackets prevent them from trying that. St. Louis, I personally don't like. Florida is one of my favourites, the gold instead of the yellow works really well and that logo, like the Sharks, is miles better than what they have now.

Toronto, don't like. Edmonton yeah, fine, whatever. Same with Chicago, Boston and Montreal - they're fine. Not that interested. Vancouver - I like it more than I expected. Nashville, not bad, better than their current jerseys obviously. 

Overall, great stuff.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Why do people in Minnesota care so much about a team that abandon them 27 years ago, that quite frankly, outside of a couple of appearances in the Stanley Cup Final, didn't accomplish much when they were there.  The Wild, who have accomplished less, but at least exist in Minnesota, will eventually surpass them for years played in the state.  It's one thing for people in Quebec to be missing the Nordiques, but Minnesota got a team back.  If the Wild were ever to win the Stanley Cup, are people in Minnesota going to still talk about how the Northstars?  Great they won, too bad they didn't do it with a N logo on their jerseys.

I’m not old enough to remember the North Stars, but they had a nice color scheme and a much better name than the Wild. If the Wild picked a different name, the whole subject may not exist. I have yet to meet a Wild fan that actually likes the name and there is still a ton of North Stars gear being worn in Minnesota. If it were up to me the Wild would change their name to the North Stars. Put the N on the chest and move the recolored Wild logo to the shoulder. Stars and North Stars should be different enough to avoid confusion. The MLB has the Reds, Red Sox, and White Sox and no one complains. The MLS has many teams named the United. Heck, the NHL already has the Blues and Blue Jackets along with the Canadiens and the Canucks.

I like Wild honoring the North Stars. Sure the same team now plays in Dallas, but the jersey is a throwback to the Minnesota days anyways. 

My only problem with it, is the specific jersey they chose. They should have picked the jersey from 1980, with the yellow bar under the yoke. (I also wish that the numbers were green, but it makes sense, considering it’s reverse retro...) I also understand that the Wild wouldn’t be able to use the N star logo without permission, but I guess I would think this would be a special case. 

I’m disappointed that they didn’t try to create an “M-star” logo though. That would have been fantastic. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

16 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

This looks so much better than I anticipated it would from the teaser, but I mostly want to riot because they replaced Stinger with that damn cannon logo that looks extremely out of place.

IMO, the original Blue Jackets white jerseys are kind of underrated and I prefer this striping template to what they're in now; it's nice to see real color blocks back on a Jackets jersey — and at least they kept the neon green in the original logo and the only use of Copperplate font I've ever liked.

Whenever I see that C.B. logo, I can't help but also see this

3114.jpg

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

FWIW, I believe the teams had very little say in these. There's an article or two from previous leaks about how this was primarily an adidas project, and at least one adidas employee on here confirmed as much. 

Sure, but acting like the league can tell the teams what to wear is just plain wrong. Bare minimums, the team Presidents have veto power. More realistically, they had at least some input on choosing from a lineup of mock-ups on a final direction.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

We're not even talking about a true North Stars throwback though. The concept of this jersey is very much the Wild but in a retro color scheme that means something locally. Dallas may own the franchise history in the records, but I don't think they can own a color scheme (especially one they don't even use). If anything the Nordqiues and Whalers fauxbacks we're seeing here are much more egregious, imho.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 hours ago, M4One said:

Why do people in Minnesota care so much about a team that abandon them 27 years ago, that quite frankly, outside of a couple of appearances in the Stanley Cup Final, didn't accomplish much when they were there.  The Wild, who have accomplished less, but at least exist in Minnesota, will eventually surpass them for years played in the state.

Because they'd still be in Minnesota right now, and the Wild would never have needed to exist, if it weren't for Norman Green wanting out of town ASAP because of the fact he kept sexually harassing his own employees. Those allegations surfaced in November of 1992, and "coincidentally" the North Stars were moving to Dallas by the summer of 1993, after his wife threatened to leave him unless he moved the Stars to a new market to avoid the media pressure. The reason the Wild even exist is because the league realized how massively they'd :censored:ed up with letting Norm move the North Stars.

Plus...The Wild have never made a Cup Finals run. They've only ever made the Conference Finals once, a few years into their existence, and got absolutely obliterated by the Ducks in that sole appearance. The North Stars made two Cup Finals runs and made the Semifinals/Conference Finals 6 times. I wonder why people still fondly remember the Minnesota North Stars? 🤔

Here's a pretty bad look at what the Predators' full set will look like with helmets, pants, etc. I grabbed it from a promo video so the colors wonky with much of the silver looking like olive green, but still it gives you the right idea.

spacer.png

I really like it overall, I just wish that the newer logo was on the chest-

orNu0Yb.png

I think that a lot of the other reverse retros would have more longevity if they did something like this too.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Sure, but acting like the league can tell the teams what to wear is just plain wrong. Bare minimums, the team Presidents have veto power. More realistically, they had at least some input on choosing from a lineup of mock-ups on a final direction.

Yes. We pitched the idea to do something like this to the league and we built out initial suggestions for each team, but ultimately, the decision was theirs.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived