2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

Here’s a better idea of how the Caps RR will look on the ice. 

I grew up with the screaming eagle, so I’m eating all of this up. Big fan of this look. By no means was this an original idea, I’m sure tons of people have tried re-coloring their 90’s look, but I still have to give them credit on the execution, it looks good. Kudos for keeping the beak and talon as gold. I always struggled as whether to color those white or blue, neither looked good 

90758391980.gif

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

There’s a lot of love for the Kings jersey but I’m not super impressed with it. It’s fine by RR standards but they did already do a perfect throwback to purple and gold a few years back. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think we have enough of the Red Wing template.

2 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:
Kudos for keeping the beak and talon as gold. I always struggled as whether to color those white or blue, neither looked good 

I always had them and the eyes as red, personally, like so;

spacer.png

I think this could've been pretty sharp.

I guess count me in the minority/unpopular opinions but I don't like the idea of the Avs with blue pants/gloves.  Never really got on that train unless the blue turned navy, then it looked good.  But the color blue they use now it just doesn't gel for me.  I understand the change and all, especially with how they updated the mountain look with Adidas, but I don't know if I'll like it.  

I wonder if they'll trickle those changes down to the Eagles though.  Given their new uniforms it would probably look pretty good.

2 hours ago, PepMan33Conde said:

Re: Islanders -> I think the lack of effort on the reverse retro sweater has to do with the organization having to embrace Lou Lamoriello's 'old-school' principles.

If he wasn't around, I bet we're talking about how fancy the teal Fisherman sticks are or how classy the orange jerseys (in classic template of course) are.

I keep seeing Lou brought into the reasoning, but he's GM. Unless I need to go relearn hockey, GM has very little to do with any decision-making that isn't directly related to getting the right pieces in place to win the Cup. They're pretty much limited to contracts, call-ups, trades, and usually high-level coaching moves. Things like uniform changes would be handled by the business/operations side of the house, once you get below the ownership/team president level.

So serious question, am I missing something here? Or are the people bringing Lamoriello into it mistaken?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 minute ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I keep seeing Lou brought into the reasoning, but he's GM. Unless I need to go relearn hockey, GM has very little to do with any decision-making that isn't directly related to getting the right pieces in place to win the Cup. They're pretty much limited to contracts, call-ups, trades, and usually high-level coaching moves. Things like uniform changes would be handled by the business/operations side of the house, once you get below the ownership/team president level.

So serious question, am I missing something here? Or are the people bringing Lamoriello into it mistaken?

Lou's President of Hockey Ops for the Isles as well as the GM.

2 hours ago, PepMan33Conde said:

Re: Islanders -> I think the lack of effort on the reverse retro sweater has to do with the organization having to embrace Lou Lamoriello's 'old-school' principles.

If he wasn't around, I bet we're talking about how fancy the teal Fisherman sticks are or how classy the orange jerseys (in classic template of course) are.

Major fail for the Islanders.  This was easy.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Lou's President of Hockey Ops for the Isles as well as GM.

Okay, that actually explains a lot. I wasn't aware he was pulling double duty. Thanks!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, Prince Harry said:

There’s a lot of love for the Kings jersey but I’m not super impressed with it. It’s fine by RR standards but they did already do a perfect throwback to purple and gold a few years back. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Calling this "Forum Blue" is a stretch.  It's purple.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

11 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Calling this "Forum Blue" is a stretch.  It's purple.

Former Laker owner and OG Kings owner, Jack Kent Cooke loved the color purple but, for whatever reason, refused to say that was the color he liked. He called it blue. So, to deal with the problem that the uniforms were clearly purple but the owner didn’t want it called that, Chick Hearn (or maybe Cooke himself) came up with calling the Laker purple “Forum blue.” And it stuck.

I find the fact that a millionaire owner couldn't bring himself to admit he loved purple out loud, which then forced others to bend to his whim and call it "blue" utterly bizarre. It's like a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.  He had zero issue with the term "R-Skins" though, SMH

1 minute ago, ManillaToad said:

embarrassing

I mean, their actual Reverse Retro is that, yeah. 😜

When you have teams bringing back stuff like Blasty, Wild Wing and the Peyote jersey, just darkening the blue and flipping the order of the stripes seems so goddamn disappointing. The actual RR is literally just their 2000 dark jersey. Like, exactly. This would at least be fun and interesting.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, their actual Reverse Retro is that, yeah. 😜

When you have teams bringing back stuff like Blasty, Wild Wing and the Peyote jersey, just darkening the blue and flipping the order of the stripes seems so lazy.

there is no excuse for making a bad jersey on purpose

I get that they're a legacy team, but for Christ's sake, they could've done something more interesting than hue shifting their home jersey and flipping the stripes around. At least a teal Fisherman or something along that line would've been appealing on the same merit a white Wild Wing or purple Peyote are. It's not like the damn thing'll be around for more than a year, anyways, it's a chance to do something off-the-wall.

Instead, it's a jersey most people won't even realize is any different unless pointed out, because all that's changed is the color and the order of the stripes. If other people are bringing back the gaudiest of the gaudy for this, you may as friggin' well do it, even just to satisfy the people calling for a Fisherman revival.

Though at least it isn't butt-ugly like Detroit and Toronto or a complete cocktease like Dallas, to give it some credit.

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Stop trying to make the Islanders into something they're not. Did the Brooklyn misadventure teach anyone anything?

I think it'd be ok for five games.  We're not talking full-time Fisherman.  The orange concept looks fantastic for a fairly whimsical Retro Reverse program. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived