2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's a strong primary. It's a W. It's got an eagle. It's got the Capitol dome. It says "Washington Capitals" without literally spelling it out like they usually have. I don't know what more you can ask of it.

See, I like it as a logo, but no jersey concept I've ever seen with it has really sold me on it being a primary logo on the front of a jersey. It feels...don't want to say "weak", but it's not quite got the oomph I think a primary logo should have. As a compliment to the brand, it's irreplaceable, but I dunno if I think it's quite suited for being a main logo.

The Screagle has the necessary oomph for me and compliments the Weagle perfectly. Bringing both together as the two main Capitals logos (on a non-terrible jersey template) would be the perfect choice, really.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's a strong primary. It's a W. It's got an eagle. It's got the Capitol dome. It says "Washington Capitals" without literally spelling it out like they usually have. I don't know what more you can ask of it.

All valid points, but I still prefer Screagle, for whatever reason. Logically, I realize I should prefer Weagle, I just don't. Which is strange because I prefer the GoGo's music note logo over their primary, for similar notions.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

8 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:
I feel like we would have heard about this sooner? 

My thinking is they might just be changing the striping a bit and that's mostly it; maybe bring the second stripe back, but have it be slate and navy on the road and silver and navy on the home jersey.

That kind of minor tweak likely wouldn't be seen as major enough to report on.

Made a few mocks with my hopefully proposed modifications of adding a blue strip to the away sweater and changing the numbers/letters from black to blue:

je7LGkE.png

rxAONQB.png

Think it finally presents the Avs as a burgundy and blue team instead of burgundy, black, and a tad bit of blue team.

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

My thinking is they might just be changing the striping a bit and that's mostly it; maybe bring the second stripe back, but have it be slate and navy on the road and silver and navy on the home jersey.

That kind of minor tweak likely wouldn't be seen as major enough to report on.

I think if they were changing striping they would announce that. I think they are changing the tone of blue so it matched the equipment better and maybe changing the road numbers.

5 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I think if they were changing striping they would announce that. I think they are changing the tone of blue so it matched the equipment better and maybe changing the road numbers.

See, that's modifying colors. Modifying uniforms implies an actual design modification, at least to me, even a minor one.

My thoughts on the reverse retros. These crap on the NBA city program.

LOVE TIER:

ANA - The originals sucked, but as a couple times per year throwback these a great. And it works better on white than the original teal.

ARZ - Another former 90s monstrosity that works better in the new colors and is fun.

BOS - This needs to become a full time alternate.

CAR - It's hard to mess up anything Whalers.

COL - gorgeous.

LA - 'Gretzky logo' check. Purple/Gold. Check. Need to be the primaries or at worst permanent 3rds ASAP.

MIN😻

MTL - beautiful. Would work as a 3rd.

NJ - I don't care that it will be even more compared to Christmas.

NYR - one of my favorite jerseys/logos ever. The original with the red sleeves worked better, but I'm just glad to see lady liberty back at all.

NEXT TIER:

BUF - Had they went to these back then (minus the 'Buffalo' on the hem) they might still be wearing them to this day.

CHI - These should be their alts.

EDM - Better than their current roads.

FLA - make this the permanent 3rd ASAP.

TB - If they must be a blue team, wear this full time.

WSH - prefer the original colors, but like these too. Nice to see the screaming Eagle back.

MEH TIER:

CGY - Liked the original Blasty but doesn't work as well without the red bottom.

CBJ - where's Stinger?

NSH - this just shows me their current jerseys desperately need a yoke.

NYI - it's a nice uniform, but a big missed opportunity to go Fisherman.

OTT - Not bad, not awful.

PIT - Not bad, but robo-penguin should be on the shoulders.

SJ - Not sure how I feel about this.

STL - This works, but not among my favorites.

VAN - works better in these colors than the original.

VGK - I like it, could work as a full time alt if need be.

WPG - Dark Gray was a weird choice, why not light blue?

Straight Up Dislike:

DAL - Doesn't work for me with the phantom hem/sleeve filled in. Just looks like pointless piping.

DET - Did they even try?

PHI - The white and black swap on the sleeves/yoke just doesn't work at all.

TOR - Like the Red Wings, GFGS, and What's going on with the numbers?

21 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:
Also saw that Arizona’s Kachina jersey will have its numbers outlined in silver this year, so there’s a bit of precedent for small changes this year.

This sounds really unneeded. Should have just stuck with a patch instead going over board about 25 years of near insolvency. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's an incredibly minor detail, it hardly counts as going overboard to me.

Degrades the whole uniform. sand numbers outlined in silver will look awful. 

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

This sounds really unneeded. Should have just stuck with a patch instead going over board about 25 years of near insolvency. 

Dating a 'Yotes fan. As an observer of the fanbase, it feels more like a "See, we somehow beat the odds and survived!" That said, it's striping on the numbers of an already in-use uniform, it's not like they're going full Flyers.

If they don't get some stuff worked out soon, there won't be a golden anniversary. There's a good chance Houston is going to come a'knocking, at some point, and whichever team is in the most dire straits at that point is going to be the prime relocation candidate, especially if they already happen to be in the central division.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Degrades the whole uniform. 

Those are some awfully strong feelings for a small silver number outline as a fun little way to celebrate the silver anniversary. Especially from someone who was just advocating for Fishsticks because "The Fisherman is fun."

9 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Those are some awfully strong feelings for a small silver number outline as a fun little way to celebrate the silver anniversary. Especially from someone who was just advocating for Fishsticks because "The Fisherman is fun."

Kind of a false equivalency.  

Adding silver to sand numbers on a black jersey will look worse than you think. The jersey was fine with just a patch. 

Not really the same as a retro jersey without added colors. If the Islanders added Vegas gold to the Fisherman numbers, that jersey, too, would look terrible. 

Ducks- This is the sort of thing something like this is for. Not my cup of tea but it's fun.

Coyotes- This design was always hot garbage, but the purple base will look better than the dark green

Bruins- Love it. Good to see they resisted the urge to replace black with brown.

Sabres- I love it and I'm ashamed I love it.

Flames- First real miss. They took a mostly black jersey and made it...even more black? Switching the logos and making it a black jersey of the Cup run sweaters would have been better.

Hurricanes- Eh....I would have preferred a blue version of the pre-navy and silver Whalers look.

Blackhawks- It's fine. The 'Hawks have had so many alternates that play with the same themes that this one just seems like white noise.

Avalanche- Super shocked to see them embracing their Quebec City heritage, and it's weird to see the fdl in federal red as opposed to sepratist blue. Looks nice, but come on you cowards. Give us a version of the wolf jerseys :P

Blue Jackets- Another one where you need to commit. No stinger on the jersey? Should have played up lime green instead of red.

Stars- The ASG template is overrated and the star in the logo not lining up with the striping bothers me.

Red Wings- What is this? Is this finished? Did someone make a jersey out of a 1/3 completed image file? You know, before they changed the default stripes on the template?

Oilers- They look nice, but it's not that distinct. Another case where they should have committed. Bring back the robo sperm alternates! They're perfect for something like this.

Panthers- These are wonderful. I might actually get one.

Kings- I'm not a fan of the Kings in purple and gold, but MAN does that Gretzky-era logo look nice in those colours. This is the first one where I'm like "yeah that can be a a full-time look."

Wild- They look nice, but they aren't the North Stars. Would have preferred a red version of their inaugural set.

Canadiens- The Canadiens should not be wearing a blue sweater with white stripes. Sorry.

Predators- I like this better than their normal yellow look.

Devils- Bring back the Christmas colours full time and use this as an alternate. Wonderful

Islanders- The most blatant case of COMMIT YOU COWARDS! The Fisherman is RIGHT THERE!

Rangers- I get that options were limited because there were already two versions of the Lady Liberty sweaters, but this just seems lacking.

Senators- I like it. It feels like the sane alternate the Senators should have given us back in 1997.

Flyers- They're fine, but I prefer the originals they're based on.

Penguins- I've always liked the diagonal PITTSBURGH text for them, so I love these.

Sharks- These are alright, but I miss the original's Denver Broncos side panels.

Blues- No thanks. The originals these are based off of was the apex of how much red you could make work in a Blues uniform. This is just too much. Why not this set in throwback colours? I donno. Red just doesn't do it for me.

Lightning- This should have been their primary from day one, what they won their first Cup in, and should have remained what their look is today. Make this the primary ASAP.

Maple Leafs- No...just no. Mixing two different eras of leaves? Blue logo on a blue sweater? Blue numbers on a blue sweater? Nah....if you wanted to just mix the '67 and '70 unis that's cool, but there were less slapdash ways of doing it than this.

Canucks- I would have preferred a blue, white, and green version of the Flying V, but this is neat.

Golden Knights- MUCH better than the gold alternates. Make this the new alt next year, please.

Capitals- This is nice, and a good alternate going forward.

Jets- I would have preferred a red version of the 1990-1996 look.

8 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Kings- I'm not a fan of the Kings in purple and gold, but MAN does that Gretzky-era logo look nice in those colours. This is the first one where I'm like "yeah that can be a a full-time look."

Honestly, those Reverse Retros with either that logo or a crown on the front...holy :censored:, those'd be gorgeous primary unis for the Kings moving forward. I'm absolutely in love.

The Rangers released what they will supposedly wear for the full set, with navy helmets and gloves. I also noticed on the original video, as well as this one, that the back of the collar is red... The model just has long hair, and covered it up upon release.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Just now, Ridleylash said:

Honestly, those Reverse Retros with either that logo or a crown on the front...those'd be gorgeous primary unis for the Kings moving forward. I'm absolutely in love with that jersey.

I think it has to be the Gretzky-era logo. Everything about it from the generic "Los Angeles" to the Lakers-esque KINGS to the weird shield and banner that looks both like a car company logo and a beer bottle label....to the crown that's not overly-simplistic but not overly detailed...it's a mess of elements but I love it. I love it in the Gretzky-era black and silver and I love it in the purple and gold.

Archived