2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, VikWings said:

Straight Up Dislike:

PHI - The white and black swap on the sleeves/yoke just doesn't work at all.

I felt like I was the only one who didn't like this one. I feel the same exact way. There is way too much black on the sleeves. 

43 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

IMO it looks really nice on the home, but awful on the away. Burgundy would probably be their best option overall.

Gloves and pants need to be burgundy in the away to keep th balance. The Avs are a burgundy team, but a blue team. As is, they look like they don't know whether they are a blue or burgundy team.

2 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

I feel like between the Canadiens blue RR, the Sabres blue and and gold recolor for the RR, and the Avs in blue equipment, the league is turning into the last 15 years of the CCLSC Concepts board.

The only way the league could be more CCSLC Concepts is if it announced a plan to design new jerseys for all 31 teams but quit after four or five.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't mind when the Canes do Whalers night once or twice a year, just because the uniforms look so good. But I am disappointed they didn't throwback to their original uniforms with the warning flags. A black version of the original jersey would have looked nice and been very popular with fans. Even if they were determined to make the jersey primarily gray, they could have gone a few different routes - maybe even a "reverse" of their old alternate.

Aho scores 2, including 0T winner, as Hurricanes beat Bruins

T1oYViW.png

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

It's true that black is only used on only 1 of their 2 primary jerseys (excluding the crest). But it's still an official team color because the puck in the snow of their primary logo is black. It's not used everywhere, but it's in their logo.

The Blackhawks, Wild, Sens, Canucks, and Jets all have colours in their logos that aren't used anywhere on their uniforms, so it isn't unprecedented.

I'd expect that they'll be changing the numbers on the away jersey to burgundy or blue to completely take black out of the equation.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The only way the league could be more CCSLC Concepts is if it announced a plan to design new jerseys for all 31 teams but quit after four or five.

Well, the NHL is even dipping into the 'Pointless Realignment' thread for the upcoming season. Did Chris stage a coup and become commissioner or something?

I'd post what I think of every single jersey in the Reverse Retro line, but honestly I think I can sum up my thoughts on them - but especially with the Islanders & the debate about what they should've done - with one simple point: 

tacky > boring

4 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I'd post what I think of every single jersey in the Reverse Retro line, but honestly I think I can sum up my thoughts on them - but especially with the Islanders & the debate about what they should've done - with one simple point: 

tacky > boring

I agree. I'll give a fair amount of leeway to a team that went big and whiffed. The result isn't better, but I respect taking the chance. Teams that played it safe are fine, so long as they nailed it. Those who took zero chances and didn't execute flawlessly just come off looking bad. More so since these jerseys can be gone in a year; this is precisely the time to try something bold and/or crazy.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

Rangers- I get that options were limited because there were already two versions of the Lady Liberty sweaters, but this just seems lacking.

They could do this:

qkmNXCw.jpeg

It's actually a proper reverse to original Lady Liberty.

4r2eer.png

4 minutes ago, Ark said:

Oh man this is bad

They really need to do blue pants at home burgundy pants on the road

Gross, no thanks.  

They would look like the Arizona Coyotes old sand uniforms.  WAY too much burgundy.    They are blue and burgundy.

13 hours ago, Point1 said:

Very very disappointed that the Avalanche are going with blue equipment. The renders look really bad, especially the road jerseys.

Black worked because the shade of blue the Avs use is lighter than the burgundy. Lighter equipment almost never looks good.

Couldn't agree more.  This is a horrendous look. The colors blend too much together, the black was a great contrast and framed the colors.  The all cool blue look is a disaster.  They just went from top 10 look to bottom 5.  Just bad.

5 hours ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Gloves and pants need to be burgundy in the away to keep th balance. The Avs are a burgundy team, but a blue team. As is, they look like they don't know whether they are a blue or burgundy team.

Needs to be black.  Black was the correct choice.  This is hideous.

At the same time, black was never a prominent color for the Avs anyways, and it really looked like they just grabbed stock equipment, slapped a couple of decals on and called it a day. It's not exactly a huge loss; if anything,  I think just biting the bullet and completely excising the vestigial remnants is the best move overall to get a more cohesive color scheme for the uniform.

The Avs don't need black when they can just use navy or slate and be perfectly fine. People are used to it...but that doesn't mean it's good.

Archived