2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

personally, I believe that they should simply replace all the black in their entire look (uniform and logos both) with navy blue. I think navy effectively does the same job as black, but is more cohesive and doesn't look that out of place. Plus, they already have all navy equipment on their alternate anyways so that makes it even easier.

AvsNavy

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the blue pants to work well for the Avs I feel like they need a number of other changes, mostly in the roads. 

home: make silver white

road: make burgundy blue to match the home, and the silver to burgundy. Maybe burgundy numbers for more balance?  

to me this is the only way blue pants/gloves work with the road set. But it’s a more drastic change to the avs identity. 

3 hours ago, tp49 said:

I'll defend those fans all day.  Heck, I'm one of them.  You hit part of it with the Spano mess.  I've written extensively about it here over the years so I'll hit the lowlights, the dismantling of the '93 team and the sweep in the first round in '94 to the eventual cup champion (still makes me sick to say it) Rangers.  The Gorton's Fisherman comes in in '95 with bad ownership who's eager to sell and an equally bad GM.  Then we get Milbury and the fun that was having him run the ship.  We don't see the playoffs until the early 2000's and then it's a couple of first round exits.  It's a part of Islanders history many want to forget.

To make matters worse the crappy fisherman logo gave rise to the infamous "We Want Fishsticks" chant at Ranger games.  Bad enough when you're down but worse when your uniforms give your biggest rival more ammo.  The revolt against the fisherman by the fanbase was so great to the point that there were protests in the Coliseum parking lot (yes I was a vocal participant in them) that it forced ownership to introduce a third that substituted the classic logo for the fisherman.  That jersey became the primary the next season.

Now, I agree with those who say the Isles RR is boring.  It is.  Probably a cop out on their part.  If I had input as to what the RR would be it'd be orange with the Dynasty striping, classic logo, number font from the '93 team, and a retooled, more realistic looking lighthouse patch on both shoulders.  Isles fans also have PTSD because we'd been the doormat of the league and the butt of jokes for a long time.  We've just become respectable again and have no desire to have those aspects of our history thrown back in our faces.  Leave the Gorton's Fisherman to fan gear and history.  

Great points tp49. As a fellow Islander fan, I agree with everything your reference about the "Fishstcks" logo. The Islanders are one of many examples of teams that JUST NEED TWO JERSEYS!!!!

5 hours ago, PepMan33Conde said:

Is anyone on here bothered that the Leafs did not change the shoulder patches for the Reverse Retro sweater? Ballard's leaf is technically still there.

Theres something that bothers me about the leafs having a leaf shoulder patch in general. I understand it's their namesake and should always be on the front of the sweater, but having essentially the same logo slightly tweaked on the shoulders just feels redundant.

11 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I'm just taking a guess. But could it be that the Avs want blue pants because the reverse retros will use blue pants and they only want to use 1 pair for all jersey combos?

They still have navy pants to go with navy thirds...so...no...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Remove silver entirely and add blue stripes to the road? A few other tweaks as well. These are the original Avalanche colors from 1995-96 through 1998-99.

I'm sure this has probably been done before, so my apologies if it mirrors any other concepts.

FG3ztQN.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

13 minutes ago, Dante_X said:

"*Note: the Stadium Series logo on the pants is inaccurate."

The guy who wrote the article mixed up the alternate logo with the Stadium Series logo. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, Dante_X said:

The Avs are going to wear a blue helmet with the white jersey

I guess that makes them a Steel Blue and Burgundy team moving forward?

8yMaRoi.png

Source: TruColor National Hockey League Franchise Colors (1917-1918 Through Present)

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

One thing I just noticed about the Reverse Retros, they all have passable, alright looking collars. No toilet seat nonsense and very few clergy collars. 

It's a shame it took this long, you'd think Nike bungling the NFL collars when it took over would have been a lesson.

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

One thing I just noticed about the Reverse Retros, they all have passable, alright looking collars. No toilet seat nonsense and very few clergy collars. 

It's a shame it took this long, you'd think Nike bungling the NFL collars when it took over would have been a lesson.

agreed!  I noticed that too and I hope its one of the modifications the Avs are making...

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They still have navy pants to go with navy thirds...so...no...

6 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Remove silver entirely and add blue stripes to the road? A few other tweaks as well. These are the original Avalanche colors from 1995-96 through 1998-99.

I'm sure this has probably been done before, so my apologies if it mirrors any other concepts.

FG3ztQN.png

That would mean the Avs would need 3 different sets of pants to make everything work. 3 pairs just for the regular jersey sets is a bit much, imo.

At this point, I'd stick with black.

Regardless what the rest of the Blue Jackets' uniform looks like, I'm pretty disappointed that they used the anachronous cannon logo on the shoulder.  The neon green stick on the crest even makes more sense with a neon green Stinger patch, like was on the originals.  The sweater got more boring when they switched to the kepi logo in '03, and it gets more boring again with the cannon roundel.  Free Stinger!!

Archived