2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

13 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

The Calgary Flames' full Reverse Retro set:

127238373_10158701664243704_236896591629

- Blasty on helmet

- Pedestal pants

Terrific overall, I'd argue it's better than the original. Blasty is busy as is, eliminating the excess red gives the set a cleaner look. File this one in reverse retros that need to become fulltime alternates.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

As much as I love the Kings in purple and gold, I also love them in black and silver. Their current template it quite lame though. I`d love to see a black and silver version of the reverse retro, with the full-sized crown slapped on the front. Done. 

See, that's just their 90's dark jersey with a different logo, though.

Raiders colors works on turf, where the backing is green. On ice, where the backing is white, it doesn't work nearly as well to me. You're either dominantly black against a dominantly white road team, which is the most basic matchup visually possible, or you're dominantly white against a colorful home team and left looking really, really bland in comparison. The purple and gold look gorgeous on and off the ice.

20 hours ago, Bayne said:

I disagree. The Big Foot secondary logo worked quite well in tandem with the primary logo. I didn't find it gimmicky at all. Something like the Stinger on Columbus' jersey is way more gimmicky to me. Even the skating Penguin is more gimmicky, and that's a primary. Look at how much respect that logo has. So you just can't say that.

I know they have moved away from the Sasquatch thing over the years but irrespective of that I like the Mountain/Big Foot theme better than slapping a somewhat generic/boring C logo on the shoulders. I know it's the state emblem, yada-yada, but to me it lacks character big time. And pairing it with the main logo just doesn't work - they're from two different design styles, so instantly the jersey suffers because it looks disjointed without a unified style.

If one day they come up with a nice clean simple new primary logo (the alternate jersey logos they've come up with in recent years haven't impressed me) that goes well with the C on the shoulders, fine, but until then I think those 90's early 2000's jerseys were much better. 

We'll agree to disagree, then. 

Cheers.

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

Which is why, like I keep saying, the ice should be very light blue!

Agreed.  This is a test from 15-odd years back and looks pretty good, I’d say. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, CS85 said:

Lord, that is jarring. From a players perspective, that would be an obnoxious eye sore. You would get adjusted to it over time, but I don’t think it is justified. Also, why an orange line? It could be any other contrasting color.

9 hours ago, CS85 said:

Replace orange with red and there is some kind of potential here. I don't see it'll be league-wide, but perhaps it can be applicable to minor league games.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:43 PM, tp49 said:

I'll defend those fans all day.  Heck, I'm one of them.  You hit part of it with the Spano mess.  I've written extensively about it here over the years so I'll hit the lowlights, the dismantling of the '93 team and the sweep in the first round in '94 to the eventual cup champion (still makes me sick to say it) Rangers.  The Gorton's Fisherman comes in in '95 with bad ownership who's eager to sell and an equally bad GM.  Then we get Milbury and the fun that was having him run the ship.  We don't see the playoffs until the early 2000's and then it's a couple of first round exits.  It's a part of Islanders history many want to forget.

To make matters worse the crappy fisherman logo gave rise to the infamous "We Want Fishsticks" chant at Ranger games.  Bad enough when you're down but worse when your uniforms give your biggest rival more ammo.  The revolt against the fisherman by the fanbase was so great to the point that there were protests in the Coliseum parking lot (yes I was a vocal participant in them) that it forced ownership to introduce a third that substituted the classic logo for the fisherman.  That jersey became the primary the next season.

Now, I agree with those who say the Isles RR is boring.  It is.  Probably a cop out on their part.  If I had input as to what the RR would be it'd be orange with the Dynasty striping, classic logo, number font from the '93 team, and a retooled, more realistic looking lighthouse patch on both shoulders.  Isles fans also have PTSD because we'd been the doormat of the league and the butt of jokes for a long time.  We've just become respectable again and have no desire to have those aspects of our history thrown back in our faces.  Leave the Gorton's Fisherman to fan gear and history.  

Harumpf!!

On 11/19/2020 at 11:43 AM, tp49 said:

I'll defend those fans all day.  Heck, I'm one of them.  You hit part of it with the Spano mess.  I've written extensively about it here over the years so I'll hit the lowlights, the dismantling of the '93 team and the sweep in the first round in '94 to the eventual cup champion (still makes me sick to say it) Rangers.  The Gorton's Fisherman comes in in '95 with bad ownership who's eager to sell and an equally bad GM.  Then we get Milbury and the fun that was having him run the ship.  We don't see the playoffs until the early 2000's and then it's a couple of first round exits.  It's a part of Islanders history many want to forget.

To make matters worse the crappy fisherman logo gave rise to the infamous "We Want Fishsticks" chant at Ranger games.  Bad enough when you're down but worse when your uniforms give your biggest rival more ammo.  The revolt against the fisherman by the fanbase was so great to the point that there were protests in the Coliseum parking lot (yes I was a vocal participant in them) that it forced ownership to introduce a third that substituted the classic logo for the fisherman.  That jersey became the primary the next season.

Now, I agree with those who say the Isles RR is boring.  It is.  Probably a cop out on their part.  If I had input as to what the RR would be it'd be orange with the Dynasty striping, classic logo, number font from the '93 team, and a retooled, more realistic looking lighthouse patch on both shoulders.  Isles fans also have PTSD because we'd been the doormat of the league and the butt of jokes for a long time.  We've just become respectable again and have no desire to have those aspects of our history thrown back in our faces.  Leave the Gorton's Fisherman to fan gear and history.  

Wow, that's just a long pissy novel essay equivalent of 'thou shall forget our embarrassing history'. That's like a hockey version of China denying the Tiananmen Square Massacre as it happened in history. I see why it's painful for fans to relive in, especially if they're around at the particular era.

That's said, everyone knows how boring your team's RR is. They could made a RR tribute to other teams in the NY-Long Island area. For instance, this jersey from the Eastern Hockey League's Long Island Ducks. Put them into the Isles' colour scheme and it'll be quite a looker. Orange as primary, blue as secondary and white as tertiary.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:05 AM, dont care said:

Then you risk making him look like a punk rock dork with a Mohawk 

not really, lots of ways to do a horse mane.

And even if you did make it look that way, it would still be way better than what they did.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Fanatics has this Sharks hat for sale which leads me to believe the Sharks are bringing back teal jerseys (potentially as a permanent alternate like the Kings' 90s era). Other hats of the same style include Boston's "B" on a black hat, and Pittsburgh's skating penguin on a yellow hat.  

Side note: It seems like a lot of new Fanatics NHL hats are adjustable (essentially every draft hat was snapback, and these are velcro), which sucks for fitted/flex fans. I get that adjustables are easier in terms of production and inventory costs, but still prefer the fitted feel. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Side note: It seems like a lot of new Fanatics NHL hats are adjustable (essentially every draft hat was snapback, and these are velcro), which sucks for fitted/flex fans. I get that adjustables are easier in terms of production and inventory costs, but still prefer the fitted feel. 

My huge head is an 8 in New Era 5950's, which are the only hats that I have found are big enough/have a deep enough crown to fit my head.

That hasn't impacted any of my baseball hat purchasing because those are all 5950's, but I have one Ducks New Era 5950 that I have had for years now that I am super protective of ever since Fanatics took over, because I don't know if I'll easily find a replacement.

Adjustable or "one size fits all" or "L-XL" hats? Forget about it.

IEI5Tg1.png

The line colors make no sense but the blue fatigues the eyes less than straight-up white does. Why do you think most message board skins are pale blue? like this one?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived