2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2020 at 1:32 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Here’s a better idea of how the Caps RR will look on the ice. 

I grew up with the screaming eagle, so I’m eating all of this up. Big fan of this look. By no means was this an original idea, I’m sure tons of people have tried re-coloring their 90’s look, but I still have to give them credit on the execution, it looks good. Kudos for keeping the beak and talon as gold. I always struggled as whether to color those white or blue, neither looked good 

When I checked adidas.com very early this morning, half of the sizes were already sold out, and it's now out completely.  I scored my Ovechkin jersey on shop.nhl.com a few hours later and it's also sold out.   

16 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

When I checked adidas.com very early this morning, half of the sizes were already sold out, and it's now out completely.  I scored my Ovechkin jersey on shop.nhl.com a few hours later and it's also sold out.   

I was looking for a Fanatics version; the men's sizes sold out on NHL Shop in 27 minutes. I had one in the cart but couldn't buy it because I didn't act fast enough. 

If Fanatics is smart, they'd do a restock of authentics and replicas by February. But it's Fanatics, so they probably won't. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, habsfan9 said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

They could've done an aviator blue base and this would've been an exceptional look. The grey and navy blend so much that the hints of aviator blue look less like intentional design and more like an afterthought.

5 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Every uniform the team has released since 2014 has looked cheap and tacky, including the winter classic jersey.  Their embrace of half-baked designs is as perplexing as their aversion to Gold and their own history.

They really lost something when the dropped the gold. Even the new jerseys from 2014 to me look weaker in comparison. 

The winter classic jersey wasn't fantastic or anything, but it was nice to see a simple treatment of the stars motif with some retro looking vibes. All the bells and whistles of the bevelled star and neon green lines just doesn't work, unless you're playing the 'evil' team in some sort of Disney tv movie for 7 year olds.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

They could've done an aviator blue base and this would've been an exceptional look. The grey and navy blend so much that the hints of aviator blue look less like intentional design and more like an afterthought.

Why so many people thought this was a good jersey perplexes me. It's drab looking.

Yeah, I think their current colors are phenomenal. The gold really was just a holdover from their time in Minnesota, this is exclusively Dallas and it gives them a nice and unique color scheme for their entire branding. After all, Minnesota already uses green and gold within their branding and the Stars haven't for almost a decade now.

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Yeah, I think their current colors are phenomenal. The gold really was just a holdover from their time in Minnesota, this is exclusively Dallas and it gives them a nice and unique color scheme for their entire branding. After all, Minnesota already uses green and gold within their branding and the Stars haven't for almost a decade now.

6 years

I don't understand when people say "this team uses this colour so this team can't use this colour" etc etc.... if it makes your teams identity strong, then use it. I don't care if another team in the the league has a similar colour thing going on - it's always going to be different in some way (unless you're the Lightning and Toronto). It's like there's a colour quota and if one too many teams employ the use of that colour then everyone starts to turn it into an issue which it isn't. The Stars looked strong, classic and mean with black, dark green and gold. Now they look bright, modern and pretty with their (IMO) over-the-top green with silver flair. It's not for me. Even the logo is trying too hard to be clever with a worn out bevelling effect - the original looked classic and had a stronger presence.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

They really lost something when the dropped the gold.

Yeah, about 20 years of history...  46 if you count the North Stars*.

Its funny to me that so many posters are acting as if the Stars new scheme is set in stone when its been around for only 7 seasons and not a single thing has been won in it.

*they're the same franchise, get over it

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'm ok with Minnesota being green and yellow and Dallas being green, gold, and black. 

lol exactly.

They don't need gold because gold was really just a holdover from their time in Minnesota. Hell, they were considering far more drastic rebrands then what we actually got, they clearly didn't want that scheme anymore. The victory green and silver look nice together and, more importantly, more consistent. The gold was vastly different when metallic (as was usually done for the logo) over matte (like on the jersey itself), which made things look weird.

Besides, the team's been in Dallas for enough time that they shouldn't need to cling on to those colors for the sake of it. Their current color scheme is miles ahead of the old color scheme because it's way more vibrant; and Vegas pulls the gold off better then Dallas ever did, anyways.

It was always a minor element in their jersey design and wasn't even on the main jersey design until they moved to the star cuts in 1999-2000 and even then it was just trim.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Heck, letting Minnesota have light green and yellow for the reverse retros is setting a good precedent for a “North Stars in all but name” rebrand.

Gosh I hope not... It would be a shame to lose the Wild's green, red, and cream color scheme. It's more old-time hockey than the North Stars!

29e7929ed84216b40075e64223adf169?AccessK

I wish the Wild had gone with an M or W with a star, for the reverse retro, because the bear-head logo in green and gold doesn't look great...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

99% of those retro reverse jerseys are trash, the Avs one is fantastic but the rest look like some horrible Chinese rip off jerseys. 

Like the ones you'd get if you ordered a Pens one and got "#78 Crosbie"

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Archived