2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

11 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Yeah I'm kind of torn because everything about their identity, besides the name, is first rate.

I’d say do the Kelly/yellow as a third. It beats the heck out of reviving the “Iron Range Red” set (not that it was bad, but it’s just not as good as the Kelly/yellow).

They’re spoiled for choice, if they want to keep the “Wild” brand around. An “as close to ‘North Stars’ as you can get” rebrand/rename would be a welcome change, but I can’t help but think we’re losing something fantastic if the “Wild” brand goes away.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GFB said:

The Wild's logo looks great in the North Stars colors, but the outline and the sky inside of the animal both being yellow dilutes the clarity of the logo (too much yellow and green and not enough contrast).  If you change the outline from yellow to white, then the logo is easier to discern and the crest then compliments the numbers.

It's a subtle change, but it makes a big difference (IMO)

spacer.png

spacer.png

If they were to do this full time, that’s where I’d start. I kept the outline on the logo because the numbers were originally the classic green/gold trim (also a nod to how the N logo was colored on the North Stars’ Jersey). The team must have requested the number flip, which kinda throws it off. Win some/lose some. 🤷‍♂️🙂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The more I look at Washington's retro jersey, the more I'm convinced that they should switch to them full time with a couple of mods.  Switch out the logo for the Weagle, drop the script on the stripes, and use a different number font.

27 minutes ago, M4One said:

The more I look at Washington's retro jersey, the more I'm convinced that they should switch to them full time with a couple of mods.  Switch out the logo for the Weagle, drop the script on the stripes, and use a different number font.

Eeeeeeeh...I disagree on that front. I think you have to keep the Weagle as a secondary, not a primary, just because of the nature of the logo. Not a single concept with the Weagle as the primary has sold me on it, no matter how hard I've looked; it feels too...light. Like, I love the use of negative space, but "uses negative space well" =/= "perfect primary logo".

I think Screaming Eagle as the primary + Weagle as the secondary is the route the Caps should go down. Keeps the Weagle in it's rightful place and gives them a proper logo to use in place of the wordmark logo, which can finally have a home that makes sense as the team's wordmark.

The Caps’ Retro is the best jersey they’ve ever worn, IMO. The blue eagle wings look great on a red jersey, and the gold talons and beak just accentuate it perfectly. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Eeeeeeeh...I disagree on that front. I think you have to keep the Weagle as a secondary, not a primary, just because of the nature of the logo. Not a single concept with the Weagle as the primary has sold me on it, no matter how hard I've looked; it feels too...light. Like, I love the use of negative space, but "uses negative space well" =/= "perfect primary logo".

I think Screaming Eagle as the primary + Weagle as the secondary is the route the Caps should go down. Keeps the Weagle in it's rightful place and gives them a proper logo to use in place of the wordmark logo, which can finally have a home that makes sense as the team's wordmark.

100% - I've always felt that the Weagle shoulder patch logo just doesn't hold enough weight as a primary. It's a fine concept and I don't dislike the logo, but it doesn't hold it's own as a main logo - the negative space eats into the shape and creates a mark that to me just looks a bit unbalanced.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

“Supplies of the jerseys were very limited and sold out quickly,” RMNB’s contact at Fanatics said. “The Washington Capitals’ Screaming Eagle design, in particular, sold very well. The Capitals sold through their inventory much quicker than any other team.”

While many assumed the NHL Shop would restock its jersey supply at some point later, RMNB is told there’s “little chance of any additional inventory created for the Adidas jerseys.”

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/12/02/capitals-reverse-retro-jerseys-sold-out-online-in-record-time-on-tuesday-here-are-the-best-places-to-buy-moving-forward/

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

You're the best, mocked-up Bellows!

All credit goes to The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database. Although I was a big fan when he was with the Lightning!

I also used the 1981-88 pants and took the North Stars logos off of the the home jersey and helmets.

15 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Because it's the night sky, I'd replace the yellow sun with a white moon.

TFIP8aq.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

The angle of the logo is also off from what the Wild use on the jerseys. The Wild use an angle that is slightly more tilted down to the left. 

And those look pretty decent for an alternate jersey. I definitely don’t want it to replace the current look, but that would be nice to see against the Hawks in red, or some other classic teams in their home sweaters at the X...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

18 hours ago, M4One said:

"They should switch to these, but change everything about them"

17 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Not to mention the fact that the jersey was clearly designed around the asymmetrical screaming eagle logo. A symmetrical logo would probably look pretty clunky on that jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

NHL 21 recently updated and the reverse retros are available to select, so it's possible to see them "in action." Call me crazy but I don't hate Edmonton's orange pants!

edit: somehow I missed all of the posts mentioning this, ha

1 hour ago, ebod39 said:

Huh?  What image are you referring to?

The one right above my first post. The angle of the bear head logo on the North Stars jerseys are off. The mothership has the angle wrong for some reason. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived