2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

please no 

Lol.

I thought that joke up in August and mocked it up in January. I was planning on slowly building up to it in the past couple months, though for obvious reasons lost track of time and realized today I hadn't posted on the account since mid-February. Glad I got at least one guy, though!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Well, let's begin with a generic MTL replacing the Canadiens' iconic logo, sandwiched in between two thick stripes.  How in the world is that okay?  There are way too many stripes on Chicago's jersey and it was completely unnecessary to try and shoehorn all of the logo colours into the design.  They were bad.  Bad for a video game.  Bad if they were to see the light of day in real life.  

On 4/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, pepis21 said:

Why not use Digital Six uniforms for Habs, Red Wings and Blackhawks? They fit very well to Fourth Jersey conception.

7 minutes ago, M4One said:

Well, let's begin with a generic MTL replacing the Canadiens' iconic logo, sandwiched in between two thick stripes.  How in the world is that okay?  There are way too many stripes on Chicago's jersey and it was completely unnecessary to try and shoehorn all of the logo colours into the design.  They were bad.  Bad for a video game.  Bad if they were to see the light of day in real life.  

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about here. And yes, only the Detroit set is decent (not good, but decent). The rest range from bad to terrible.

jpeg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

... I kind of like them except New York and Boston. I think if you replace the MTL with the logo that makes a fine alt for Montreal. Chicago and Toronto are a little out there but I'm not against it if they're used sparingly. Detroit makes a great alternate. 

12 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about here. And yes, only the Detroit set is decent (not good, but decent). The rest range from bad to terrible.

jpeg

Honestly, the Rangers and Leafs ones aren't terrible, they'd be insanely logical for the 90's...but the rest are pretty not good. Detroit's is the least bad of the rest, but that's because it's also basically Florida's jersey but in Red Wings colors. It's not good because it's well-made, it's good because it's not offensive to the eye.

The Bruins' jersey looks more like a Pens alternate then a Bruins jersey, and the Habs and Hawks are both horrible.

Actually Detroit is the laziest one from all of them. They took 1926/27 (or 2009 Winter Classic) jersey, replaced "D" logo with Red Wings and called it a day. Very safe move.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

These stripes on Chicago are for purpose, they emulates colorful of Native Americans style. I wouldn't say it's bad.

MTL can be easily replace by Habs logo (which appear on right shoulder) and even should be. Same with stripes thickness. Overall stripes design is a Canadiens design, so how this couldn't be ok?

4r2eer.png

51 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Actually Detroit is the laziest one from all of them. They took 1926/27 (or 2009 Winter Classic) jersey, replaced "D" logo with Red Wings and called it a day. Very safe move.

These stripes on Chicago are for purpose, they emulates colorful of Native Americans style. I wouldn't say it's bad.

MTL can be easily replace by Habs logo (which appear on right shoulder) and even should be. Same with stripes thickness. Overall stripes design is a Canadiens design, so how this couldn't be ok?

Purpose behind them or not, it's still too many and doesn't look particularly good.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  Not every design needs a story behind it.  It's okay if 3 stripes were just 3 stripes because it looked good and not 3 stripes because the top one represents the forest, the middle represents the highway, and the bottom represents the Earth.

I think all of them just need tweaks and they could be great alternates. 

Detroit- Honestly could use a different logo... The Stadium Series logo would be great here. I love the stripy socks, but if they’re going for modern, then they need to do a little more here. Maybe some angle stripes, a new font, etc. I mean the Stadium Series was a really nice look, except for those awful white gloves. 

Boston- There’s some good ideas here, but the bumblebee stripes on the bottom are really out of place. Boston also really should have more yellow. Someone said it looks too much like the Penguins and they would be right... 

Toronto- This one is one of the better ones of the bunch. If they added a Toronto wordmark or even Maple Leafs wordmark somewhere, this would be really good, and a nice tribute. 

New York- Bold, risky, and definitely awesome. I don’t think I’d wanna see it more than once or twice a year, or maybe even only for a preseason game, but this is one of the best, and one of the most creative. I hate it, but I love it. A little less red, and maybe the royal blue rather than Navy, and this would be better. But still I love the look. 

Chicago- I love the idea here, but not the execution. I think the American Indian-inspired pattern is a great idea, but needs a little work. I have no idea if it is an actual pattern based on traditional designs. There’s a little too much red, and has very bottom heavy. The striping is also razor thin. All of the colors is neat though. 

Montreal- This is a great, simple design that reflects the Habs historic branding. However it really falls apart with the MTL logo. It really needs a traditional, wonderful Habs logo. Even an older iteration would suffice here...  

And I know these have all been discussed before, but what else is there to talk about besides the Seattle branding (and of course Vancouver)?

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On April 1, 2020 at 9:36 PM, ldconcepts said:

Also, as a Habs fan, this is what I think they should do for the blue alternate. Keep pretty much everything the same besides the blue base, so the colours contrast just as well as on their classic reds.

This is the best example I've seen of a Habs blue jersey. 

OJ1718-G569-P42-00055.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 4/2/2020 at 4:28 PM, Ridleylash said:

Honestly, the Rangers and Leafs ones aren't terrible...

I disagree. That Leafs sweater is lazy. It's the go-to design for everyone's first "let's modernize the Maple Leafs" concept. The Concepts subforum is full of pretty much that exact design. 

Archived