2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

7 minutes ago, henburg said:

Unfortunately I wouldn't put a ton of stock into that, all of the photoshoots of the new set feature the usual yellow helmets-

Fvub5Q6.png

2 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

Ah, that's a shame. While I did like the initial move to yellow helmets years back, the navy provides such better balance for this set. 

Man, they've leaned in so hard to "owning" the yellow.

Yeah, the navy looks good, but I think the yellow is Nashville's thing and that they can totally rock it. No one complains about the Rangers always using wordmarks on their jersey's cause its New York's thing. Let Nashville have their yellow as their thing. Also, does no one remember the Pens wearing yellow buckets in Lemiuex's rookie year? Or the Kings doing that in the Lakers era. Pretty sure Nashville isn't the first team to don yellow buckets in the NHL. I think with Nashville and Pittsburgh it works. With the Kings, not so much cause the socks are mostly yellow. Nashville's socks have enough striping to balance the yellow helms.

Call me crazy, I know.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NYRFan said:

When you see the hem striping on the red jersey, you wonder why they didn't do the same treatment on the black and whites... I find the red looks strongest, as it creates less distance between the crest and the striping. 

Also, just wondering...with the NYR and CALG RRs and the Sens white, is Adidas trying to steer teams away from long, colored forearms? The originals of all 3 had big blocks of color there.

Maybe @andrewharrington would know. He seems quite knowledgeable. 

As part of the Reverse Retro program, the red one follows the 90s look more closely, so that’s why it has the original hem stripe and the original logo. I’m not sure why they wanted to tweak the home and road hem striping or the old logo.

There’s definitely no internal strategy to stay away from colored sleeves 🙂 (see Seattle). The dipped forearm look is classic hockey and we love it. I think Calgary and New York didn’t want to do red jerseys, and that kinda painted them into a corner with how to “reverse” those jerseys (Toronto and Detroit found themselves in similar predicaments).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

16 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

As part of the Reverse Retro program, the red one follows the 90s look more closely, so that’s why it has the original hem stripe and the original logo. I’m not sure why they wanted to tweak the home and road hem striping or the old logo.

There’s definitely no internal strategy to stay away from colored sleeves 🙂 (see Seattle). The dipped forearm look is classic hockey and we love it. I think Calgary and New York didn’t want to do red jerseys, and that kinda painted them into a corner with how to “reverse” those jerseys (Toronto and Detroit found themselves in similar predicaments).

Thanks man!  Always appreciate your insight, its cool to see!

20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

(Toronto and Detroit found themselves in similar predicaments).

I would've found those easy, personally; a old Leafs jersey in St. Pats green and just inverting the home jersey for Detroit and putting the old wheel logo on the front, maybe with the diamond captaincy patch.

25 minutes ago, _J_ said:

RDS is saying ads on helmets are likely to be approved today for this season.

Just hope it doesn't take the place of team logos on the helmets. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

Just hope it doesn't take the place of team logos on the helmets. 

Honestly, i'd prefer it. Seeing old pictures(Mario Lemieux, for one) the manufacturer logo was on the side with no team logo on sight. Would much rather see that, as they do in the AHL, than have it plastered on front and way more visible. 

Which means, of course, that's exactly what'll happen.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Honestly, i'd prefer it. Seeing old pictures(Mario Lemieux, for one) the manufacturer logo was on the side with no team logo on sight. Would much rather see that, as they do in the AHL, than have it plastered on front and way more visible. 

Which means, of course, that's exactly what'll happen.

Agreed.

Side of the helmet would be pretty obscure.  A giant McDonalds logo on the front of the Avs blue bucket would look terrible.

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Agreed.

Side of the helmet would be pretty obscure.  A giant McDonalds logo on the front of the Avs blue bucket would look terrible.

We all know that the Avs would do a weed dispensary, to be fair. It is the Mile-High City. 😛

7 minutes ago, M4One said:

It's already kind of happened.  

spacer.png

I hear this argument for Ads on equipment/sweaters all the time, but to me it's 100% different. 

Its not a random company buying space on a teams uniform.  It's literally the manufacture of that equipment, makes sense to show your logo on it.

Just now, CreamSoda said:

I hear this argument for Ads on equipment/sweaters all the time, but to me it's 100% different. 

Its not a random company buying space on a teams uniform.  It's literally the manufacture of that equipment, makes sense to show your logo on it.

I know Luongo was probably getting paid by Reebok to wear their equipment, but there's no way he got his helmet from Reebok.  This isn't the same as forward or defenseman wearing a Reebok helmet.

Archived