2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

Oh no, you might see a glimpse of an ad for like 4-5 seconds before a replay, how horrible and sacrilegious

Yes.

The fact is the NHL has to recoup the loss of gate and the financial hit from the pandemic somehow. This is just the way they want to do it.

You don't understand guys, the absurdly rich owners need to make sure they don't lose a penny on the dollar this year, and the only way to do that is with uniform advertising. Trust me, you won't even notice it! And don't worry, there's just no way it will lead to more advertising. It's just because of this craaaazy year, 2020, and it will be gone by next season, we promise 😉

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm holding out for the first-annual NHL fudge recipe cookbook. 

Well we might be one step there after finding out today the NHL has a cooking show now!

All the COVID related losses gonna be cleared away in no time!

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

NHL Teams Can Add Advertiser’s Logos to Helmets in 2021

December 21, 2020 - 17:56 PM

The National Hockey League has given clubs the green light to place advertiser’s logos on their helmets for the 2020-21 season. They say this is a temporary measure, only for this upcoming season to help teams either recoup costs lost to playing in empty (or reduced capacity) arenas and/or help

Read More...

Funny how people are all up in arms about seeing a Tim Horton's or Discover ad on the side of a helmet, but have never complained about seeing Bauer, CCM or Reebok there for years upon years.

I don't think the manufacturers put the logos/wordmarks there for aesthetics.

patriotssignature.png

15 minutes ago, Beantown77 said:

Funny how people are all up in arms about seeing a Tim Horton's or Discover ad on the side of a helmet, but have never complained about seeing Bauer, CCM or Reebok there for years upon years.

Is it funny that Tim Hortons places their logo on their drink cups?  Of course not, it’s their product.  Why wouldn’t CCM place their logo on their equipment?

Would it be weird to have the McDonalds logo on a brand new Chevy Corvette?  The Chevy logo is already there?  Why not!

9 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Is it funny that Tim Hortons places their logo on their drink cups?  Of course not, it’s their product.  Why wouldn’t CCM place their logo on their equipment?

Sure, they make the equipment, but having an adidas or Reebok or CCM or Bauer logo visible on the players is still an advertisement regardless of context because those are companies and brands that gain exposure through having their logos on hockey jerseys and equipment. 

It's already advertising for Adidas, CCM, Bauer or Reebok as companies to have their logos on the jersey and equipment, why is it different to have a Tim Horton's ad on there? The only difference is the brand being advertised.

That CCM logo on the hem and back of the neck of all of their old NHL jerseys? An ad. Same with the logos on the Reeboks; those are ads as much as manufacturer labels. Same with the adidas logo on the back of the current jerseys.

16 minutes ago, Beantown77 said:

What kind of third-rate dril tweet is this? Credit card companies don't make helmets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's still an advertisement, at the end of the day. It's already advertising for Adidas, CCM, Bauer or Reebok as companies to have their logos on the jersey and equipment, why is it different to have a Tim Horton's ad on there?

The only difference is the brand being advertised. Sure, they make the equipment, but having an adidas or Reebok or CCM or Bauer logo visible on the players is still an advertisement regardless of context because those are companies and brands.

I have no issue with a brand advertising their product that they manufacture.  When you slap a random logo that has nothing to do with the product, it looks cheap.  

not to mention the aesthetics, the CCM logo is designed to go there and usually is just one color and very minimalistic. I doubt we see sponsors logos that look designed and subtle. 

6 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

not to mention the aesthetics, the CCM logo is designed to go there and usually is just one color and very minimalistic. I doubt we see sponsors logos that look designed and subtle. 

The NHL, like most sports leagues, could give a rat's ass about aesthetics for a simple helmet at this point. If it makes them any decent amount of money in this crazy economic time, they're going to do it just to get the money. I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL and MLB also toy with adding ad patches in the future; the MLB's already adding the manufacturer patch on the front of their jerseys, after all...a prominent spot that'd be good to put an ad onto, if needed.

We may be a board about design, but economics will always trump aesthetics in business, because businesses need money to operate. Helmet ads = extra revenue, so the NHL isn't going to shy away from it if they deem it necessary just because a couple of people on an internet forum think it'd be ugly.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The NHL, like most sports leagues, could give a rat's ass about aesthetics for a simple helmet at this point. If it makes them any decent amount of money in this crazy economic time, they're going to do it.

oh yeah I totally get that.  I just hate it from an aesthetics perspective.  They already have ads everywhere on the ice and boards.  Just gonna look cheaper and cheaper. 

5 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The NHL, like most sports leagues, could give a rat's ass about aesthetics for a simple helmet at this point. If it makes them any decent amount of money in this crazy economic time, they're going to do it.

We may be a board about design, but economics will always trump aesthetics in business.

That is precisely the problem.

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The NHL, like most sports leagues, could give a rat's ass about aesthetics for a simple helmet at this point. If it makes them any decent amount of money in this crazy economic time, they're going to do it just to get the money. I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL and MLB also toy with adding ad patches in the future; the MLB's already adding the manufacturer patch on the front of their jerseys, after all...a prominent spot that'd be good to put an ad onto, if needed.

We may be a board about design, but economics will always trump aesthetics in business, because businesses need money to operate. Helmet ads = extra revenue, so the NHL isn't going to shy away from it if they deem it necessary just because a couple of people on an internet forum think it'd be ugly.

Except in this case, based upon initial reporting, it appears helmet ads won't likely be new revenue for many teams, but make-goods for existing sponsors who didn't get what they'd already paid for.  That's the real tragedy here. The pandemic forced something like this, as inevitable as it was, to come around much sooner. 

It was fun while it lasted, friends. The NBA broke the ice and in 10-20 years at this pace we are going to end up with Liga MX soccer jerseys across the big four.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, Beantown77 said:

I do that in my head every time I watch a game. I get mad about the adidas logo on the back of the jerseys too

4 hours ago, Beantown77 said:

Also, why hasn't anyone commented on Nike putting the swoosh on the front of MLB jerseys? Or designing around it on NFL shoulders? So very strange how there haven't been hundreds of posts about this!

Archived