2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s pretty bad in the AHL, though. 

I wouldn't say so. They're limited to the helmet and a jersey patch. On the continuum of advertising on uniforms, it leans toward the pretty unoffensive side.

But, to even be on the continuum at all, you put it best

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Gross. 

1 hour ago, philly97flyer said:

There should have been a requirement attached to the helmet logo rule that says the ad logos must be in team colors

I think making it more palatable for a consumer can backfire, though, because that normalizes it. If you don't like uni ads, you're probably better off rooting for them to be as ugly and conspicuous as possible because people are more likely to voice their displeasure. You should also be rooting for the advertisers to be the lowest of the low, because that means the ads aren't pulling in the kind of money the league wants. You want more Wish and Rakuten, less Prudential and CapitalOne if you want any hope of this ever fizzling out as a preferred revenue stream for leagues.

5 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

I get the impression that people seem to think that European hockey's ad-buried nightmare happened overnight. But let's actually take a look, eh? 
tym_1973-1974.jpg
H.C. Sparta Praha, 1972-73

Bryn%C3%A4s.jpg
Brynäs IF, 1977-78 

aHn7qu0.jpg
Färjestads BK, 1985-86 

282b111b46394212b6c46d937648995d.jpg
Kiekko-Espoo (Blues), 1991-92 

tym_1994-19951.jpg
H.C. Sparta Praha again, 1994-95

hannover-hannover-scorpions-adler-mannhe
Hannover Scorpions, 2001-02

pah-200103-99-341440-dpai.jpg

Eisbären Berlin, 2019-20 

Now I do apologise for the wall of photos, and obviously this isn't comprehensive; for one thing Helsinki Jokerit had jersey ads as far back as the 70s, and have toned it down considerably since the days of these monstrosities in the early-90s; and for another the KHL (which Jokerit is part of now) of all leagues seems, based on the teams I looked up (Jokerit, Spartak Moscow, Lokomotiv) to be the least jersey-ad dependent hockey league on the entire continent? But still, something to think about as we start down this path ourselves, I feel.

Fixed it for you

4rdpnt.jpg

9 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

The Lakers were originally Blue / White when they moved to LA from Minneapolis, the Kings uniforms were Purple / Gold from their inception in '67, the Lakers colors changed to Purple Gold that same year. Sure the Lakers had more success than the Kings but I hate when people say well Purple and Gold are Laker colors or (since I am from Pittsburgh) Black and Gold are Steelers and Pirates colors first, ignoring the fact that the NHL Pirates Hockey Club (1925-1930) were Pittsburghs first Pro team to wear the City colors of Black and Gold, not the MLB Pirates(Blue / white / red uniforms) nor the NFL Steelers (not born until 1933)

Doesn't really matter what colours the Lakers started out in when they moved to LA.  It's what they are most known for.  That would be purple and gold.  Even had the Kings stayed in purple and gold, most people would probably think of the Lakers first if you ask them which sports team they associate purple and gold with.  That's because of the success throughout the decades and because basketball, simply is a much bigger game than hockey is in LA.  

The Kings did nothing in purple and gold.  They made the right choice to switch to black and silver, which was just perfect, for the arrival of Wayne Gretzky.  Like it or not, black sells.  And they won their two Stanley Cups in black, silver, and purple.  

How many people in Pittsburgh, even hockey fans, have heard about the Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team?  Be honest.

5 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

There should have been a requirement attached to the helmet logo rule that says the ad logos must be in team colors

From an aesthetic standpoint, absolutely.

Advertisers have probably quantified just how obnoxious they can be before it starts to effect their return on investment. These people are payed to push it as close to the line as possible without being offensive, and even then, some of them probably don't care if they're offensive. There's probably a contingent of advertisers that think there is value in being offensive (in this case stylistically, not morally)

To all of you on the negative side of the coin, would you rather see this or no hockey at all?  Most (if not all) of the NHL teams are dependent on gate revenue to operate.  With little to no fans in the seats for 2020-2021, some revenue had to be made up elsewhere.

For those of you saying "I should get paid if my replica jersey has an ad", let it be known that the only NBA jerseys sold with ads are sold by the team itself.  Anything else doesnt have it.

Is it my preference to see ads like this, no, but who gives a sh**.  I'd rather have enjoyment from watching one of my favorite sports than no sport at all.

10 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

That may not have been possible due to the brand specs of the sponsor.  I can speak for the few companies I have worked for that jsut like sports teams, some logos can only be certain colors on dark/light backgrounds.  There are some limitations.

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

To all of you on the negative side of the coin, would you rather see this or no hockey at all? 

But that's not the scenario here - especially in a league with a salary-cap system.  It's simply not "ads, or no hockey".  No team will fold, and in the extremely unlikely event that the league itself legitimately couldn't pay players, the CBA would be renegotiated and the salaries would need to be reduced - similar to how MLB did it (though probably better, since the NHL players don't have the same leverage as the MLBPA.)  They've probably already done that.  

Also, since it's extremely unlikely that the helmet ads will go away even when revenue returns to normal, it's not reasonable to view this as simply a temporary thing.

This is obviously bad, but for various reasons, I don't really think of hockey helmets as part of the uniform in the same way that I do a football helmet or baseball hat.  There's no real design consideration made - it's just either "white helmet" or "helmet that matches shirt or pants".  When I was a kid, some players didn't even wear them since they weren't mandatory.

The team logos that are slapped on the helmets aren't consistent from year to year, and are often dwarfed by the advertising that's already on there (CCM, Bauer, etc.)  The Flyers have gone back-and-forth between a little logo to a large wordmark back to a little logo often over the years, and I can't even tell you which one they use now.

We've had the discussion before about 'equipment' vs 'uniform' (mostly when it comes to facemasks).  It's clearly part of the uniform, but IMO not an important one - nobody buys hockey helmets, they're not used as de-facto logos like football helmets or baseball caps are, and quite frankly, they're not interesting.

It's a bad thing that more ads are showing up, and it certainly opens up the door for more ads once we get used to these, but at least in this point in time, it's far from the worst thing that could have happened.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

But that's not the scenario here - especially in a league with a salary-cap system.  It's simply not "ads, or no hockey".  No team will fold, and in the extremely unlikely event that the league itself legitimately couldn't pay players, the CBA would be renegotiated and the salaries would need to be reduced - similar to how MLB did it (though probably better, since the NHL players don't have the same leverage as the MLBPA.)  They've probably already done that.  

Also, since it's extremely unlikely that the helmet ads will go away even when revenue returns to normal, it's not reasonable to view this as simply a temporary thing.

This is especially true since it's already been reported that many teams will likely use these ads as make-goods for existing sponsors. In those cases, they're not generating any new revenue -- they're about preserving existing relationships. Still important in the grand scheme of things, but recognizing that waters down any argument that this is about bringing in money. 

I don’t know if you can share Facebook posts like you can tweets, but the Lightning changed their profile pic to the white logo on a two-toned blue background (to make it look shiny) and the post has the caption “New season, new look.”

Does anyone think that caption implies something other than the profile pic on their social media?

17 minutes ago, CrookedThumb said:

I don’t know if you can share Facebook posts like you can tweets, but the Lightning changed their profile pic to the white logo on a two-toned blue background (to make it look shiny) and the post has the caption “New season, new look.”

Does anyone think that caption implies something other than the profile pic on their social media?

spacer.png

I think it's just an updated social media pic for the season.