2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

Teams change social media avatars all the time without relation to a rebrand.

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

"Proud"

Sad.

If helmet ads were what it took to even have a season, then I could kind of care less about a small helmet decal. Most teams just slapped secondary logos or wordmarks on them, anyways, it's not like most put much thought into designing them. This isn't football, where the helmet is a huge part of the team identity.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Teams change social media avatars all the time without relation to a rebrand.

If helmet ads were what it took to even have a season, then I could kind of care less about a small helmet decal. Most teams just slapped secondary logos or wordmarks on them, anyways, it's not like most put much thought into designing them. This isn't football, where the helmet is a huge part of the team identity.

Ah yes, a secondary logo is the same as a sponsor logo in clashing colors.

MOD EDIT: Dial it down and right quick.

Teams stand to lose something like $150 million in revenue this year, right? That multiplied by the number of teams in the league (so 31)...would be somewhere along the lines of $4,650,000,000 in total losses, if I'm doing the math right.

Tell me one business, one sports league that'd be so staunchly against ads on players they'd want to lose billions of dollars over it. I don't think you'd be able to.

14 hours ago, M4One said:

Doesn't really matter what colours the Lakers started out in when they moved to LA.  It's what they are most known for.  That would be purple and gold.  Even had the Kings stayed in purple and gold, most people would probably think of the Lakers first if you ask them which sports team they associate purple and gold with.  That's because of the success throughout the decades and because basketball, simply is a much bigger game than hockey is in LA.  

The Kings did nothing in purple and gold.  They made the right choice to switch to black and silver, which was just perfect, for the arrival of Wayne Gretzky.  Like it or not, black sells.  And they won their two Stanley Cups in black, silver, and purple.  

How many people in Pittsburgh, even hockey fans, have heard about the Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team?  Be honest.

Thing is, Gretzky could have made the Kings Purple / Gold uniforms Popular, especially given their '93 Cup run. And Yes, very few Pittsburghers know about the Pirates Hockey Club (which is why I grew up hating the fact that yinzers used to call it Black and Steelers Gold, now it's just called Pittsburgh Gold)

Things are getting a little salty between Dastardly Ridleylash and A Firestorm To Purify, which sounds like a Nazi slogan but is in fact just a metal song lyric. Metal?!? Heeeeeey, wait a minute...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They aren’t. 

I mean, if everybody's losing 150 million at once, the owners aren't going to just roll over and not get additional sources of revenue to soften the impact as much as possible. Guarantee this was part of the negotiations for the season.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:48 PM, RichardWitham said:

but it is my dude. bauer ccm etc are companies who have their branding on equipment. when you think about it, they're advertising in every level of the sport... yet people complain when ads for other companies than equipment suppliars show up on equipment. it wont go further than this season most likely NHL uniforms wont look like europ[[ean league uniforms, the sky is not falling chicken little. 

You’re a fool if you think the league will scale back a money making opportunity.

More than anything else that I already knew about general corporate greed, this whole debacle has emphasized the fact to me that hockey has pretty much never treated the helmet as an actual part of the uniform. It's just another piece of equipment, like gloves or pads, with little to no thought going into its appearance. That's sort of a shame, because while most teams likely look best with the plain helmets and a small logo, it could have been cool to see more teams experiment with things like striping or different finishes. It seems to translate surprisingly well for some teams-

10179018.jpeg

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Teams stand to lose something like $150 million in revenue this year, right? That multiplied by the number of teams in the league (so 31)...would be somewhere along the lines of $4,650,000,000 in total losses, if I'm doing the math right.

Tell me one business, one sports league that'd be so staunchly against ads on players they'd want to lose billions of dollars over it. I don't think you'd be able to.

I'm not sure anybody should believe just how much teams are actually losing during the pandemic. Sports teams lie all the time to lowball players, get better stadium deals, raise ticket prices, etc.

According to this interesting worldwide list of annual revenues by sports, the NHL stands fifth in the world around 4.57 billion euro (5.5 billion USD). So the 150m loss per team would almost wipe out 83% of the league's revenue. Granted, this may seem truer for the NHL than other leagues. 100m in salaries and basic operating costs, rent, etc sound alike it could easily get to 150m and above, but that doesn't take into account income like existing sponsorships, and really, TV money. Any give backs/reductions shouldn't ultimately lead to losses, just reduce the profits. The NFL has bent over backwards to make sure every game is played for their TV partners, because that's the real money in all of this.

Now, if owners are including their bookkeeping tricks (debt management, paying off initial investments, etc), then that should be on them, but Hollywood is just as great at hiding profits (look up Empire Strikes Back profit)

Also interesting in that revenue list is comparing the revenues of the European hockey leagues with massive amounts of advertising to the NHL and see its probably pretty necessary, whereas in the NHL or the other big leagues is just padding the bottom line.

Edit: Just saw the NHL's NBC contract is just $200m for the year, not sure what the other countries pay. So, the NHL is pretty screwed.

10 hours ago, TBGKon said:

To all of you on the negative side of the coin, would you rather see this or no hockey at all?  Most (if not all) of the NHL teams are dependent on gate revenue to operate.  With little to no fans in the seats for 2020-2021, some revenue had to be made up elsewhere.

For those of you saying "I should get paid if my replica jersey has an ad", let it be known that the only NBA jerseys sold with ads are sold by the team itself.  Anything else doesnt have it.

Is it my preference to see ads like this, no, but who gives a sh**.  I'd rather have enjoyment from watching one of my favorite sports than no sport at all.

A lot of us do give a you know what. I understand what you are saying. Having ads right now because of your reasoning is one thing but the problem is what happens once things return to normal? A lot of us do not trust the NHL because once things return to normal, and a lot of fans get used to the ads, the NHL will probably look at the extra revenue coming in and decide to keep the ads on the uniforms for good. Hell, next thing you know, the NHL will start to allow ads on the jerseys, let alone the helmets. 

Bingo. 

If this was really about the pandemic, then they’ll eliminate the helmet ads once teams can sell tickets again and life returns to normal. 

And I don’t think anyone seriously believes that will be the case.  These things only ratchet one way. 

Archived