2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

It's either this or no hockey

I don't like it but I can live with it

They need to make up for lost revenue

It's just for this season

You won't even notice it during the game

The NHL is a business folks

Did I miss any?

Is it just for this season? I ask because I have not heard anything so far in terms of how long the NHL plans to keep these helmet ads for.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

It's either this or no hockey

I don't like it but I can live with it

They need to make up for lost revenue

It's just for this season

You won't even notice it during the game

The NHL is a business folks

Did I miss any?

Is it really the only option? Does the league really run on that show string of a budget, or is this the only way for owners to keep making the same money they have had.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Is it really the only option? Does the league really run on that show string of a budget, or is this the only way for owners to keep making the same money they have had.

I was mocking the tired arguments people make in defense of relentless corporate greed. It's not the only option of course. It isn't necessary in any way, it's just pathetic greed

Were it not for the sweaters and logos we all hold dear, this would be the most hideous league in the country. Ads on the playing surface, ads around the playing surface, ads on the helmets, real ads on the glass, computer-generated ads on the glass, ads on the upper-deck LED wraparounds, ads on the scorebug, such a constant bombardment of brands that you're reached by everything and nothing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, dont care said:

Another option is you could ask Glendale city council for a better lease on the parking lot arena. 

I saw, I came, I left.

7 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

By saying business get many chances of selling ads to people? Sure, that's his point. It's unregulated capitalism at its finest.

@philly97flyer asked if Toad knew how businesses work, and his response (as well as yours) indicates he doesn't. 

Businesses exist to make a profit. Period. There's no such thing as enough or too much money.

Yes, billionaires may write off losses, as owning a sports team is typically a money-losing venture, but they got into the position to buy a sports team by maximizing profits at every point.

On 12/24/2020 at 6:31 PM, dont care said:

The NHL created a reality where ads are acceptable and they get extra $$$. I would be very surprised if they took the ads off after one season.

New $$$ > earn points w/ fans who will watch with or without ads

32 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

Businesses exist to make a profit. Period. There's no such thing as enough or too much money.

That’s an old argument, but it’s hardly a convincing one. 

Brand equity is itself valuable.  Companies that water theirs down for a little short-term cash can find themselves sacrificing their long-term profits.

Besides, if profit profit profit was the only thing that mattered, they’d sell crack at the concession stand. 😛

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Besides, if profit profit profit was the only thing that mattered, they’d sell crack at the concession stand.

If it was legal to smoke crack inside the arena Delaware North would be selling it at their concession stands.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Brand equity is itself valuable.  Companies that water theirs down for a little short-term cash can find themselves sacrificing their long-term profits.

Which NHL team is sacrificing long-term profits by adding helmet ads this year?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Besides, if profit profit profit was the only thing that mattered, they’d sell crack at the concession stand. 😛

3 hours ago, Echo said:

If it was legal to smoke crack inside the arena Delaware North would be selling it at their concession stands.

Publicly traded vs privately owned companies have different pressures financially. Ad dollars are very easy to quantify whereas sentimental value is more ambiguous. No fan WANTS it but the majority of fans wont leave because of it either.

They already sell alcohol despite it's issues (which is another discussion entirely). While crack is obviously pretty hardcore, I wouldn't be completely shocked if in the future a venue sold more than one type of intoxicant at it's concession stands.

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

C'mon, bro. We Gotham-ites gotta stick together.

Someone ask Mr. Creamer if he's going to turn down ad money. I visit this very site on my mobile device and had to scroll past ads for NHL shop, Bet MGM, an eyeglasses company, and something for the Oculus to read articles on a message board about how sports teams shouldn't let advertising get in the way of the product. This is true irony. 

I bet your senses have been dulled to all the ads around you. Same as mine. I don't want ads cluttering up any part of the "uniform system," but I can't muster up the energy to hate it. Only to defend myself 😉 against your strawman arguments related to selling crack. 😄 

I'm also not sure what brand equity has to do with this. The Yankees are worth more money with a Nike swoosh adorning the pinstripes than before. It's certainly ugly, and I don't enjoy seeing it, but hurting brand equity? I think not. 

8 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

C'mon, bro. We Gotham-ites gotta stick together.

Someone ask Mr. Creamer if he's going to turn down ad money. I visit this very site on my mobile device and had to scroll past ads for NHL shop, Bet MGM, an eyeglasses company, and something for the Oculus to read articles on a message board about how sports teams shouldn't let advertising get in the way of the product. This is true irony. 

I bet your senses have been dulled to all the ads around you. Same as mine. I don't want ads cluttering up any part of the "uniform system," but I can't muster up the energy to hate it. Only to defend myself 😉 against your strawman arguments related to selling crack. 😄 

I'm also not sure what brand equity has to do with this. The Yankees are worth more money with a Nike swoosh adorning the pinstripes than before. It's certainly ugly, and I don't enjoy seeing it, but hurting brand equity? I think not. 

Brand equity is essentially the value your brand has in name alone, its cachet, its perception by the public.

The NHL/your favorite team's brand is seriously NOT damaged by allowing the namesake company of a building get a couple of stickers on a helmet. 

If advertising on a uniform hurt brand equity, why is European soccer more popular than the NHL? Without looking, I'm guessing European soccer teams like Manchester United crush most NHL teams in terms of brand awareness.

Now if your brand starts becoming synonymous with something distasteful or outdated, now you're talking. This is how we get to the Cleveland MLB saga. There's a legitimate argument to be made that their name hurt their brand and their value. Of course, this vicious interwoven cycle of sports and business rears its head again. 

Why is Cleveland going to change names? Their brand equity is taking a hit. What does that mean? Well, with a newer name and image, they can expand their footprint and, wait for it, make more money. 

3 hours ago, NYRFan said:

If advertising on a uniform hurt brand equity, why is European soccer more popular than the NHL?

Yes, why is the global sport more popular than a regional winter sport

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived