2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Krudler said:

How close is that Avs blue to the Nordiques blue?

eXnGwUU.png

Avs on the left, Nordiques on the right.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 12/27/2020 at 7:26 PM, Sport said:

Re: Uniform Ads. My stance is the same as it's always been - Uniform ads are both bad and inevitable. I've understood they were going to come for a long time and I understand why (I MAKE MY LIVING IN ADVERTISING, GOONS), but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I understand people who don't care at all because there's lots of things I'm not the least bit passionate about that many others are (video games and pro wrestling are two examples). What I don't understand and will never understand are the people with no financial interest on either the team's side or the advertisers' side, people who found their way to a message board about sports uniforms, who take and defend the position that uniforms ads look good. WHAT THE HELL

G-ddamnit! THANK YOU! 

Sorry that I don't have much more to say but this just had to be repeated. 

19 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And I'll be honest...I don't mind it on the roads, either;

spacer.png

When I first saw the pictures the change didn't register immediately. I had to think "what's different?" I don't know if I'm just weird or if other people will have the same reaction as I did, but the black-to-blue seems like an easy, unobtrusive transition. The black looked good too. A little more bold in comparison.

The Avalanche have an issue with their white jersey with the equipment change to the slate blue.  The numbers and the name on back are in black on the white road jersey.  I would expect that is being changed?  If not that is a huge problem because it will not work anymore if the black equipment is gone.

2 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

The Avalanche have an issue with their white jersey with the equipment change to the slate blue.  The numbers and the name on back are in black on the white road jersey.  I would expect that is being changed?  If not that is a huge problem because it will not work anymore if the black equipment is gone.

In their press release they mentioned “several jersey modifications” or something to that effect, which I assumed meant swapping number colors. But there hasn’t been any official look at those changes yet.

jNTsTyQ.png

23 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

So unnecessary.  There was nothing wrong with the black equipment...  Or the original uniforms from 1996 for that matter. 

I think the black equipment looked far better than the blue will. I am hoping to eventually see Colorado redesign their uniforms. 

The black equipment shouldn't have worked for the Avs, but it did. Maybe I just got used to it after two Stanley Cup wins and however many years, but it sort of became a quirky, fun thing that still worked because the colour scheme was darker anyway. 

I'm sure they'll look fine when they unveil their blue helmets, gloves, and pants but they'll seem just a bit less special. Like when the Bruins lost their gold socks. 

36 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I'm sure they'll look fine when they unveil their blue helmets, gloves, and pants but they'll seem just a bit less special. Like when the Bruins lost their gold socks. 

That's a wrong I cant wait until it is righted. Bruins look significantly worse than with gold socks.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 minutes ago, _J_ said:

That's a wrong I cant wait until it is righted. Bruins look significantly worse than with gold socks.

The Bruins had great color balance with the gold socks. It was a quirk, but it worked with gold shoulder yoke. Now they look like a high school or junior team who ripped off the Bruins jerseys, because the black socks make the Bruins look weirdly top heavy, and too dark. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 minute ago, chcarlson23 said:

The Bruins had great color balance with the gold socks. It was a quirk, but it worked with gold shoulder yoke. Now they look like a high school or junior team who ripped off the Bruins jerseys, because the black socks make the Bruins look weirdly top heavy, and too dark. 

Yup, this. The Bruins were also a team, about the only one, that looked BETTER after the Reebok edge changeover than they did before it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Yup, this. The Bruins were also a team, about the only one, that looked BETTER after the Reebok edge changeover than they did before it.

I definitely read your first post wrong, as I thought you were saying you liked the change to the black socks 😂

But I also agree. The Bruins found themselves a timeless look, one that screams Bruins with the Reebok set. The black socks downgraded that a little bit in the Adidas era...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

14 hours ago, _J_ said:

Correct, given that there were a lot of teams that had excellent pre-Edge uniforms and made them look just as good with the Edge switch. Four of the remaining five Original Six teams plus the Devils made no meaningful changes and looked excellent as a result. The Canucks were close but the addition of the wordmark hurt what was a good change back to their original colors.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

As far as ads on uniforms,  I am one of those who don't want ads on uniforms. Yet I've been to a bunch of AHL games and don't even notice the ads on the jerseys even when sitting up close. I know they are there, but when you're watching a game, the game is the important thing. I've watched a few NBA games, and don't really notice the ads. Where it gets bad is European hockey or the WNBA. I hate clutter and prefer simplicity, I guess that's why I don't mind a small add on a jersey. Where the clutter is getting bad is in college football, where you have a manufacturer logo on one side, a conference logo on the other and then when you add a bowl patch or anniversary patch or both along with the social justice patches this year, it's getting to be so much stuff in so little space. 

18 hours ago, _J_ said:

I'd include Columbus in there. The current home & road aren't quite as nice as the pre-Edge alternate, but getting rid of the neon green & Stinger patch was a massive improvement. Vancouver & Washington were also smart to bring back their classic colour schemes, even though the execution was a bit flawed.

3 minutes ago, oddball said:

As far as ads on uniforms,  I am one of those who don't want ads on uniforms. Yet I've been to a bunch of AHL games and don't even notice the ads on the jerseys even when sitting up close. I know they are there, but when you're watching a game, the game is the important thing. I've watched a few NBA games, and don't really notice the ads. Where it gets bad is European hockey or the WNBA. I hate clutter and prefer simplicity, I guess that's why I don't mind a small add on a jersey. Where the clutter is getting bad is in college football, where you have a manufacturer logo on one side, a conference logo on the other and then when you add a bowl patch or anniversary patch or both along with the social justice patches this year, it's getting to be so much stuff in so little space. 

I'd like to think that the law of diminishing returns will prevent the NHL from turning into the Euro leagues. A company will pay a lot more for a jersey patch if they know they get to be the exclusive sponsor on the uniform. The more ads you throw on a jersey the less valuable each patch is.

19 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

In their press release they mentioned “several jersey modifications” or something to that effect, which I assumed meant swapping number colors. But there hasn’t been any official look at those changes yet.

For what it is worth, Unofficial NHL Uniform database still shows black numbers/names on the white jersey.  

Avalanche19.png

58 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

For what it is worth, Unofficial NHL Uniform database still shows black numbers/names on the white jersey.  

Avalanche19.png

That doesn’t show the 25th anniversary patch either.  I’m still holding out hope the Avs altered the away jersey to have more blue on it. 

Archived