squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

Recommended Posts

I think these corporate division names is only a one year engagement to recoup as much lost revenue as possible. When the conferences return I think they'll be gone. Don't hold me to that though.

 

Also, is there any word on who will get the Prince of Wales Trophy and Clarence Campbell Bowl this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. Krabs said:

I think these corporate division names is only a one year engagement to recoup as much lost revenue as possible. When the conferences return I think they'll be gone. Don't hold me to that though.

They better be, I'll say that much right now. 
 

4 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

couldn't the teams just make these helmet sponsor logos , like a contrasting team color? This one could be black instead of blue. Guess then it wouldn't be so glaring. 

If they made ads blend in, there wouldn't be any point in having them. The problem is that they're supposed to get your attention, that's the entire point of advertising.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr. Krabs said:

I think these corporate division names is only a one year engagement to recoup as much lost revenue as possible. When the conferences return I think they'll be gone. Don't hold me to that though.

 

Also, is there any word on who will get the Prince of Wales Trophy and Clarence Campbell Bowl this year?

Interesting questions. Have to think they wont get awarded this year due to the setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Pretty sure they didn't even lose money, they just went back to 2007 levels of profits lmao. Greed, man. It knows no bounds

"Greed" is wanting to keep your business profitable now? This isn't some local mom-and-pop shop, it's a professional business that has shareholders (namely, the owners) to appease. If everybody in the league's dropped in profits, they're going to want ways to recoup those lost profits, it's the nature of business. You don't get the kind of money to buy a sports team by saying ":censored: easy money-making opportunities".

 

The only owner I could legitimately say might be greedy is Burkle for taking that PPP loan when he'd just recently bought Neverland. The rest are just acting as businessmen do; finding ways to maximize profit margins where possible. And if players aren't willing to take another salary cut...then you need alternative options, like ads on helmets, to make up the difference to sponsors and boost revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mr. Krabs said:

Also, is there any word on who will get the Prince of Wales Trophy and Clarence Campbell Bowl this year?

 

This year it will be the Fudgie The Whale™ Trophy and the Campbell's Soup™ Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The rest are just acting as businessmen do; finding ways to maximize profit margins where possible.

or, as us normies call it, "greed"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

What does this have to do with anything? Felt like throwing in your 2 cents?

 

Oh, I thought practice jerseys were indicators of team colours, or are you changing that now, mate? If so, guess the green Saint Patrick's Day jerseys mean that every team has two or three shades of green in their scheme. Guess that logic doesn't work, mes amis. 

 

And, yes, I did. I have a hard time ignoring ignorance like you have demonstrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not devastated by the division names, but I am appalled by Chrysler’s marketing department not capitalizing on a prime opportunity. Come on, we could have had the Chrysler Pacifica Division! Instead we are stuck with Honda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'd say this is minor-league :censored:, but I can't even think of any minor leagues that have sunk to this level. Bettman is the worst.

 

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

The QMJHL used to have a "Telus Division," which I think was the teams in the Maritimes. I think the other two were East and West Quebec.

 

I think you have to dive down to Junior A hockey to find something this crass. In my neck of the woods, the SJHL has divisions named after Viterra, Global Ag Risk Solutions, and Sherwood, and the teams play for the Canalta Cup. It's a necessary evil because this is Saskatchewan and most of the markets have populations of about 5,000. Those sponsorships are more about giving back to the community and keeping the league afloat. For the NHL, it's about greed and profits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point the outrage towards the march of corporatization seems obligatory, knee jerk and half baked. I think North American major pro sports fans have been allowed to live in a relative bubble and it's been nice. We're all in a poker game with league owners and advertisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Not devastated by the division names, but I am appalled by Chrysler’s marketing department not capitalizing on a prime opportunity. Come on, we could have had the Chrysler Pacifica Division! Instead we are stuck with Honda.

 

Honda is the league's car account now, which seems to indicate decline for both the NHL and Chrysler. Then again, the NBA's car is Kia, which is just, like, Millennial Hyundai. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

"Greed" is wanting to keep your business profitable now?

 

The NHL wouldn't be profitable if the McDonald's McRib North Division presented by Ford: Built Ford Tough wasn't sponsored? 

 

12 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

At this point the outrage towards the march of corporatization seems obligatory, knee jerk and half baked.

 

Well if something is inevitable then I guess I should just bend over and take it. Let's skip all the fuss and put ads on the jersey right now so I can quarter bake my opposition to it and save some time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe instead of all this bitching about ads and $#!+, we could just stop bitching and see if they follow through on their word to get rid of it in a year. How's that sound?

 

Oh, btw, the Canucks have said they'll be the Vancouver Grizzlies, but are keeping the Orca. /s, your welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NHL Announces Sponsors for their Realigned Divisions

January 5, 2021 - 20:42 PM

The National Hockey League made the next stop on their Sponsor Everything ’21 Tour this morning (sorry, that should read the Bridgeport Sponsor Everything ’21 Tour) when they announced their four new temporary divisions would be given corporate names. Introducing the Scotia NHL North Division, Honda NHL West Division, Discover

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

"Greed" is wanting to keep your business profitable now? This isn't some local mom-and-pop shop, it's a professional business that has shareholders (namely, the owners) to appease. If everybody in the league's dropped in profits, they're going to want ways to recoup those lost profits, it's the nature of business. You don't get the kind of money to buy a sports team by saying ":censored: easy money-making opportunities".

 

The only owner I could legitimately say might be greedy is Burkle for taking that PPP loan when he'd just recently bought Neverland. The rest are just acting as businessmen do; finding ways to maximize profit margins where possible. And if players aren't willing to take another salary cut...then you need alternative options, like ads on helmets, to make up the difference to sponsors and boost revenue.

I know all of that. I know they wanna make as much money as possible (which is the definition of greed, by the way). I'm sorry you had to type all of that for no reason. We're not even disagreeing on that, all I'm saying is I don't have to like it even if I have no choice but to accept it

TLDR version: The owners are being greedy, deal with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Maybe instead of all this bitching about ads and $#!+, we could just stop bitching and see if they follow through on their word to get rid of it in a year. How's that sound?

 

If you believe they'll get rid of an extra revenue source just as fans start getting used to it, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of people have had the idea of the NBA getting rid of conferences and moving to five divisions of six teams, which most people seem to dig until it comes to the third round of the playoffs. The idea I had was to rename the Conference Finals the "Time Warner Championship Series" and "Walt Disney Championship Series" after the league's big two television partners, since they each do one a year. Rather inelegant, but worth it in service of the 5x6 alignment. Now we'll probably get those names and still have a gimp Eastern Conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Well if something is inevitable then I guess I should just bend over and take it. Let's skip all the fuss and put ads on the jersey right now so I can quarter bake my opposition to it and save some time

You're proving me right. As a consumer you can protest and boycott. What most people will do is vent for a little while and continue to consume product. This is reality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

You're proving me right. As a consumer you can protest and boycott. What most people will do is vent for a little while and continue to consume product. This is reality.

 


Reading of this on twitter and reddit depressed me.  A lot of people were saying things like, "I'm so used to this with soccer that I actually kind of like it," or "I don't know why anyone cares." 


The ambivalence or even embraceful attitudes toward the ads is the doom of sports design, and we get to fiddle while it burns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 1 season I can deal with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.