2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Echo said:

At least there's no ad on the helmet! /s

I could have littered the helmet with ads. I got tired and dropped it. That's enough fooling around in Paint for a day.

6 hours ago, DEAD! said:

I would have went with St Hubert instead of McDonald's 😜

Not a bad choice. But the Canadiens have done more things in sponsorship with McDonalds, I associate McDonalds with the team more.

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, the main reason junior and Euro teams slap ads all over the place is because those ads essentially pay for the league's functioning. The NHL, even if values take a bit of a drop, is far more rich than the NOJHL or some other small league. Having extremely limited ad space on the helmet or jersey would drive up demand, and thus drive up the price that sponsors will pay.

In terms of economics, it makes less sense to slap ads all over the NHL jerseys because it becomes a case of diminishing returns; the more ad space, the less you can charge for that space. In a league that has a hefty amount of revenue from other sources and is likely getting a bigger TV deal in the very near future, there's not much incentive to slather the jerseys in ads because the ads wouldn't add so much revenue that it counteracts the diminished value of them.

Besides, if the owners are greedy enough to want big cash, they can always go looking to expand again instead of doing what would actually draw in less money than adding two more expansion teams; it's what the MLB did in the 90's.

Here's an issue that usually winds up happening. Your points are all valid. But I noticed at first, ads are usually introduced on uniforms in a tasteful manner, or at the very least in a way not too overbearing. But then, a picture gets released and the ad is just a little bit bigger....and a little bit bigger.......and a little bit bigger. They wanna go big, when they don't have to go this big.

Longing for the days when I only had equipment/uniform manufacturer logos to complain about.

At least they make sense.

Long cold winter... indeed.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

2 hours ago, DEAD! said:

OK. I can live with the ads on the helmets and they could have just stopped there.... but divisions? 

Jenna Marbles Reaction GIF

Wait...what?!  How can you be okay with helmet ads, but draw the line with division names?  You joking?  

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

Longing for the days when I only had equipment/uniform manufacturer logos to complain about.

At least they make sense.

Long cold winter... indeed.

Great album and band for that matter.:music:

Honestly, I think the whole reaction to helmet ads is a bit over the top. I get what it represents, and that more ads are likely on their way, but in isolation I don't have much of a problem with it.

It will be unfortunate when they start to appear on jerseys for sure. But other than that I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. Toronto having a red Scotiabank logo on their road white helmet does not make me feel like the aesthetics of hockey is approaching the end of days.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Part of the problem for me believing this is some horrific gateway for the NHL to immediately turn into Euro-league adpocalyptic jerseys is...the NHL doesn't have nearly the same overhead crunch that the Euro leagues do when it comes to operating income. There's a reason no major American sports league has gone the Euro "ads everywhere" route, and it's not "because stupid greedy owners never thought of it".

It's because the major American leagues have less of a crunch WRT overhead costs than your typical junior-level hockey league over here or a typical Euro league. If any of them thought it was more profitable to spam ads on their jerseys and were as single-mindedly only driven by greed, then surely they'd have already leapt on that opportunity like a pack of dogs?

Instead, it's taken a massive global pandemic for even one to add a helmet decal that most people will barely even notice when teams are playing. And it's not like the NHL's above having sponsor logos on their event game logos, having one on the division logo isn't that different. I severely doubt Johnny Hockeywatcher cares about the division logo having an ad on it as long as he has hockey to watch.

It feels less like legitimate concern and more like doomsaying for the sake of doomsaying. "IT'LL BE JUST LIKE THE EURO LEAGUES!!!!" sounds scary when you literally remove any of the fiscal context. This isn't a "slippery slope" when it took the worst pandemic in over a century to even get helmet decals. It's a matter of businesses having to appease their sponsors, not just cartoonish villainous greedy owners trying to be mean and ruin things. 

On 1/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, philly97flyer said:

Avs blue gloves should have silver cuff and burgundy-lettered branding (Bauer, CCM, etc). Also, hard to tell for sure but it looks like the number stickers on their white helmets are still black.

Those are clearly blue

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Those are clearly blue

You sure about that?  They look pretty black in all the practice pictures I have seen. 

Also interesting that they are wearing white helmets at camp this year.  It’s always been black helmets before.   We saw leaked pics of the blue pants and gloves over the break but not of the blue helmet.  

19 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

You sure about that?  They look pretty black in all the practice pictures I have seen. 

Might be navy that's just looking like it's black. A similar trick of the eye's happened with their alternate's navy gloves recently, as well;

for all the talk of the NHL needing to “expand the game” and get back on ESPN and keep up with the absolutely booming profits and massive popularity of the other big 4 leagues.... i mean this is the ugly truth of doing so in the age of consumerism and especially so in pandemic times when everyone is home craving sports and entertainment.

sure, maximizing profits of an already multi-million (billion) dollar business is greedy, but like others have said what are they supposed to do? keep taking the hit, after already taking a mike tyson combo from covid? no, the owners are gonna try and recoup money where they can and keep primping their giant investment of buying a professional hockey team. i dont agree with the methods in an aesthetic sense, but it’s what needs to be done.

would ESPN want the new TV contract if their weren’t sufficient ad opportunities? will all the excess money funneled into the NFL be good for the NHL if it were diverted to them? 

lots of people are pointing to this incessant greed because the franchises and owners are already worth so much, but you’d have to be blind if you think the current values and liquidity aren’t going downward

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

These helmet numbers still look kind of black...

https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/1346535516024545282

Lighting can play tricks, especially if the numbers are navy. I posted a pic of the Avs' navy gloves that looks downright black due to the lighting, this could easily be a similar effect.

Just now, Ridleylash said:

Lighting can play tricks, especially if the numbers are navy. I posted a pic of the Avs' navy gloves that looks downright black due to the lighting, this could easily be a similar effect.

Yeah, it's hard to find a good picture of the helmet numbers at practice, since the lighting can change the tone of the numbers at different angles and distance. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I get it may be blue still, as when I did my mockups it was very hard to change the helmet numbers to look blue.  I just doubt they did change them to blue because its the Avs and they need to get a few things wrong and not adjusting the away set to include more blue seems fitting.

Archived