Jump to content

2020-2021 NHL Changes


squamfan

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Bruins helmet ad.

 

 

 

 

I know Toronto is doing it as well, but it just seems funny and kind of useless to have an ad for the arena name you're playing in on the helmet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, speedy said:

 

I know Toronto is doing it as well, but it just seems funny and kind of useless to have an ad for the arena name you're playing in on the helmet.

 

Instead of 18,000 fans going to TD gardens for every home game, 0 fans will.  That is a major hit to the naming rights they paid for.  This gets their name back in front of fans watching the game and people talking about the game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I don't like it but I can live with it. You won't even notice it during play, and the league is a business that needs to survive.

 

It's one thing, if the survival of the league depends on it. It's a different story, if owners disregard everyone for greed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

 

Instead of 18,000 fans going to TD gardens for every home game, 0 fans will.  That is a major hit to the naming rights they paid for.  This gets their name back in front of fans watching the game and people talking about the game.  

 

That's the massive hole in the greed argument. 31 teams missed 11 or so games at the end of last year. They played 130 games in the bubble with 0 fans. That's about 471 games with NO FANS. Say on average there are 15,000 fans per game. That's over 7,000,000 tickets that weren't sold. Say the average ticket is $75. That's $529,875,000.00. 

And the best part is? The NHL has to do it all over again with basically no fans to start the year. 

I know the numbers are way more complex than this. I know that sports leagues generally make a ton of money. But it isn't hard to see how the league's financial forecast and long term viability could have really been shaken the past year. 

I want NHL hockey and i can live with a helmet ad and naming the divisions for the sake of getting back on track. 

 

I'm so sick of people hating rich people too to be honest. When was it deemed a crime to be rich? People always hate people that are wealthy than them, pity people poorer than them, but at the same time would poo themselves to make an extra buck themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

 

That's the massive hole in the greed argument. 31 teams missed 11 or so games at the end of last year. They played 130 games in the bubble with 0 fans. That's about 471 games with NO FANS. Say on average there are 15,000 fans per game. That's over 7,000,000 tickets that weren't sold. Say the average ticket is $75. That's $529,875,000.00. 

And the best part is? The NHL has to do it all over again with basically no fans to start the year. 

I know the numbers are way more complex than this. I know that sports leagues generally make a ton of money. But it isn't hard to see how the league's financial forecast and long term viability could have really been shaken the past year. 

I want NHL hockey and i can live with a helmet ad and naming the divisions for the sake of getting back on track. 

 

I'm so sick of people hating rich people too to be honest. When was it deemed a crime to be rich? People always hate people that are wealthy than them, pity people poorer than them, but at the same time would poo themselves to make an extra buck themselves. 

Thank you! Dude, that's what so many of us have been trying to say! Yes, they make millions or billions but still their lively hood. How would you like it if your boss said you would taking a 23% pay cut due to revenue loss during the pandemic, eh? Ask yourself that before calling the NHL owners "greedy" or saying that "They only want a quick buck." We had to increase a products list price by $4.00 per pound during this thing at my work. :censored: happens. Either adapt, or fold. If the NHL didn't do this, would we be looking at a 28team league instead because the owner decided the loss was too much and the risk too great. How does that sound? A few extra ads for the sake of thousands of jobs is a fair trade to me. Thank you for the numbers, my friend!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

 

I'm so sick of people hating rich people too to be honest. When was it deemed a crime to be rich? People always hate people that are wealthy than them, pity people poorer than them, but at the same time would poo themselves to make an extra buck themselves. 

I don't even know where to start with this one. Is there an "ignore" feature on this forum where I could hide this dude's posts? lmao

24 minutes ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Thank you! Dude, that's what so many of us have been trying to say! Yes, they make millions or billions but still their lively hood. How would you like it if your boss said you would taking a 23% pay cut due to revenue loss during the pandemic, eh? Ask yourself that before calling the NHL owners "greedy" or saying that "They only want a quick buck." We had to increase a products list price by $4.00 per pound during this thing at my work. :censored: happens. Either adapt, or fold. If the NHL didn't do this, would we be looking at a 28team league instead because the owner decided the loss was too much and the risk too great. How does that sound? A few extra ads for the sake of thousands of jobs is a fair trade to me. Thank you for the numbers, my friend!

Yes, the league would have totally folded without the HUMONGOUS $15M league-wide profit on helmet stickers. 28 league team? That sounds great actually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I don't even know where to start with this one.

Yes, the league would have totally folded without the HUMONGOUS $15M league-wide profit on helmet stickers. 28 league team? That sounds great actually

Our point is, a loss is a loss for a business, large or small. It's about context, man. What's cheap to them is a fortune to us. $15 million is $15 million. Say you make $2k a paycheck. Would you like to loose $90k off of that? Chew on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

28 league team? That sounds great actually

Advocating for fans to have their teams taken away from them due to something nobody could have predicted is a pretty :censored:ty thing to do, bud. A hell of a lot worse than merely accepting a decal change on a helmet. You'll really endear people to your anti-ad crusade by telling them "So what if your team folds due to a lack of revenue? We kept a decal off the helmets, that's all that really matters!", I'm sure. /s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Our point is, a loss is a loss for a business, large or small. It's about context, man. What's cheap to them is a fortune to us. $15 million is $15 million. Say you make $2k a paycheck. Would you like to loose $90k off of that? Chew on that.

Context lol. Context indeed. Profit has skyrocketed over the last 20 years. There are enough ads already, the ads on the helmets barely bring any money in the grand scheme of things and looks like crap from a sports uniform enthusiast perspective, which I like to think you are as well if you're on this forum. The NHL has made almost a billion dollars in expansion team fees alone in the last few years, they were gonna lose money either way with the pandemic. Season played out or not. I get that they wanna make as much money as possible (greed) but the owners are literally billionaires, they're the least likely to be affected monetarily by the pandemic, I don't feel bad for them at all. Most hockey teams are actually losing money every single year, this is nothing new. Reposting this link again https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2012/11/26/how-the-panthers-make-money-despite-er-losing-money/

6 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Advocating for fans to have their teams taken away from them due to something nobody could have predicted is a pretty :censored:ty thing to do, bud. A hell of a lot worse than merely accepting a decal change on a helmet.

I wasn't actually being serious, I figured a ridiculous statement deserved an equally ridiculous reply. But yeah, it's ironic how you support the owners wanting to make as much money as possible by shoving as many ugly ads as possible down our throats (especially when you have no personal or financial stake in this matter) yet the idea that the teams bringing in the least profits in the league could be moved or folded to actually help the remaining team's finances is heartless and mean. Objectively, the league would be better off without a couple teams that are bringing nothing to the table. Anyway, that's besides the point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, so how many helmet ads at this point are the same as the arena name?

 

Boston: TD

Calgary: Scotiabank

Carolina: PNC

Chicago: United

Colorado: Ball

Columbus: Nationwide (road helmets)

Edmonton: Rogers

Minnesota: Xcel Energy

Montreal: Bell
Nashville: Bridgestone

New Jersey: Prudential

Ottawa: Canadian Tire (road helmets)

Pittsburgh: PPG

St. Louis: Enterprise (road helmets)

Toronto: Scotiabank

Vancouver: Rogers

Washington: CapitalOne

Winnipeg: Bell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read on HFBoard that Leafs took worse offer from Scotiabank instead of better from Intact so I don't think it's gonna be only for one season and we stay with that like with ads on NBA uniforms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

If the NHL didn't do this, would we be looking at a 28team league instead because the owner decided the loss was too much and the risk too great

No, we wouldn't. Zero teams would have folded if ads were not put on the helmet and the divisions were not sponsored. Zero. Teams folding is not the situation, there is no reason to continue defending intrusive advertising by pretending anyone is in danger of going bankrupt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

No, we wouldn't. Zero teams would have folded if ads were not put on the helmet and the divisions were not sponsored. Zero. Teams folding is not the situation, there is no reason to continue defending intrusive advertising by pretending anyone is in danger of going bankrupt

Considering Forbes estimates had most of the league's clubs losing money this season, the league overall's taking a hit since their own revenue is tied to the revenue of their clubs. The NHL isn't small enough to whore itself out like your Euro leagues may be, but neither is it anywhere near large enough to not get hit the worst of the major sports leagues by the pandemic.

 

We all love :censored:ting on the NHL for being the lame duck of the big 4, but also like to whine when they do things to try and increase profit margins; so basically, the league can't win either way and people will complain about whatever the hell the league does to keep profits up, even though this is a business, and owners don't want to lose money on their proudest investments.

 

Also, I don't remember there being so much vitriol about helmet numbers. Or ads on the ice. Or ads on the boards. Or sponsorships for the All-Star Game and outdoor games. Or even the projected ads that have been on broadcasts for a while. There's been plenty of time to push back against the amount of ads if you're that deadset against the NHL ever having any in-play advertising. Why is it only the helmets, which are the least-touched element of the uniform, that are off-limits?

 

The fact the majority of fans I've seen have had a reaction of "whatever, as long as hockey's back" tells me that people so vitriolic about it are the minority opinion. If having some changed helmet decals is what it took to have a season, I could kinda care less if it means I get to watch an NHL season, y'know? I like uniform design, but a tiny sticker on the helmet isn't going to be some monstrous faux-pas.

 

And that's really all it is; it's just swapping decals on the helmet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.