2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Also, I don't remember there being so much vitriol about helmet numbers. Or ads on the ice. Or ads on the boards. Or sponsorships for the All-Star Game and outdoor games. Or even the projected ads that have been on broadcasts for a while. There's been plenty of time to push back against the amount of ads if you're that deadset against the NHL ever having any in-play advertising. Why is it only the helmets, which are the least-touched element of the uniform, that are off-limits?

Helmet numbers? Still comparing apples to oranges I see. Ads on the ice? There was no internet for people to voice their displeasure back then lol. ASG sponsors? Well, nobody actually cares about the ASG and whenever you hear about it, it's never positive, it's been seen as a joke for as far back as I can remember. Outdoor games? Well I find the ads annoying but it's a once a year thing so it's not comparable to helmet stickers, since it's not even shown in a tangible way most of the time, correct me if I'm wrong but the sponsor isn't even on the WC patch the players wear on their shoulder. In a vacuum, yes it's just swapping decals on a helmet, but you're just arguing in bad faith at this point. You seem like a smart guy, I feel like you're just playing the devil's advocate in this thread, there's no way you actually believe the Leafs swapping a blue leaf logo for an ugly red corporate logo doesn't matter in the slightest and that we, as sports uniform enthusiasts should just accept it and not see anything wrong with it. It's not that it's only the helmets that are off limit, it's that at some point, we feel like there are enough distracting and ugly ads all over and around the playing surface and that the uniforms the players wear shouldn't be soiled with ugly corporate logos. The measly $15M it brought didn't make enough of a difference to be seen as THE one thing that saved this season. Stop repeating that, it's just not true. It's nothing more than a convenient excuse. And damn, my team didn't even get hit the hardest, the ad they went with actually matches the team colors at least, if I were a Penguins or Predators fan, I'd be fuming right now lol

51 minutes ago, M4One said:

Forget the fans, the language police would have a field day with this.

They're all last names that can't really be translated except for CT, what are you even talking about? There's enough :censored: slinging in this thread lol. Please leave the language issue out of this

Considering Forbes estimates had most of the league's clubs losing money this season, the league overall's taking a hit since their own revenue is tied to the revenue of their clubs. The NHL isn't small enough to whore itself out like your Euro leagues may be, but neither is it anywhere near large enough to not get hit the worst of the major sports leagues by the pandemic.

Do you think teams would have folded without the new ads?

We all love :censored:ting on the NHL for being the lame duck of the big 4, but also like to whine when they do things to try and increase profit margins;

On the contrary I am a big fan of the NHL being the most laid-back of the big 4. The last thing I want is it turning into a social media and personality-driven machine like the NBA. I don't care if they try to make more money unless that involves increased advertising. It's very simple.

Also, I don't remember there being so much vitriol about helmet numbers. Or ads on the ice. Or ads on the boards. Or sponsorships for the All-Star Game and outdoor games. Or even the projected ads that have been on broadcasts for a while. There's been plenty of time to push back against the amount of ads if you're that deadset against the NHL ever having any in-play advertising

Wtf are you talking about? Plenty of people have pushed back on in-game advertising for decades. I personally am vitriolically against all of it. This was an odd assumption to make

Why is it only the helmets, which are the least-touched element of the uniform, that are off-limits?

Every part of the uniform is off limits. The ice and boards should be off limits too

The fact the majority of fans I've seen have had a reaction of "whatever, as long as hockey's back" tells me that people so vitriolic about it are the minority opinion

Well that was never in question. And in reality the majority of fans have no idea the ads have been introduced, and will continue to watch the games with half their brain asleep, so used to the inundation of advertising that a Nascar uniform would slip by them unnoticed. I don't care what they think.

7 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Do you think teams would have folded without the new ads?

No, but they very well could be helping:

People we never heard of in jobs we never knew existed remain employed.

and/or

Create more HRR (Hockey Related Revenue) to prevent a future labor issue. 

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

No, but they very well could be helping:

People we never heard of in jobs we never knew existed remain employed.

and/or

Create more HRR (Hockey Related Revenue) to prevent a future labor issue. 

Of course $15M league wide is gonna help, at the very least it's not a loss. But it's a rain drop in the ocean from a league that made 5.09 billion USD in 2019 and that is already saturated with intrusive ads. Sacrificing the integrity of the very best uniforms in sports for chump change, essentially

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193744/operating-income-of-national-hockey-league-teams-in-2010/

17 hours ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Our point is, a loss is a loss for a business, large or small. It's about context, man. What's cheap to them is a fortune to us. $15 million is $15 million. Say you make $2k a paycheck. Would you like to loose $90k off of that? Chew on that.

This is the finest argument ever presented on these boards, intellectually and grammatically airtight.

19 hours ago, nash61 said:

Okay, so how many helmet ads at this point are the same as the arena name?

Boston: TD

Calgary: Scotiabank

Columbus: Nationwide (road helmets)

Edmonton: Rogers

Montreal: Bell
Nashville: Bridgestone

New Jersey: Prudential

Ottawa: Canadian Tire (road helmets)

Pittsburgh: PPG

Toronto: Scotiabank

Washington: CapitalOne

Winnipeg: Bell

And, you can add the Canucks to the list.

spacer.png

Edmonton Oilers Add “JM” Decal to Helmet

January 7, 2021 - 22:05 PM

The Edmonton Oilers will honour the memory of former coach John Muckler throughout the upcoming 2020-21 NHL season by way of a special decal they’ll be wearing on the back of their helmets. Muckler, who died this past Monday at the age of 86, was an assistant coach with the

Read More...

14 minutes ago, dont care said:

You could atleast put the team in your post rather than make us try and guess.

Nah, it's much more fun this way.

Hint: They wear blue, but aren't named for the colour.

1 hour ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Edmonton Oilers Add “JM” Decal to Helmet

January 7, 2021 - 22:05 PM

The Edmonton Oilers will honour the memory of former coach John Muckler throughout the upcoming 2020-21 NHL season by way of a special decal they’ll be wearing on the back of their helmets. Muckler, who died this past Monday at the age of 86, was an assistant coach with the

Read More...

Before I read the article I was thinking Joey Moss

Honestly, I bet the biggest reason they went all in on the ad strategy is to minimize teams laying off their staff. Don’t forget, there are thousands of people who work back-of-house for NHL teams. These ads are likely helping a lot of people keep their jobs right now, and I’m not talking about the big shot jobs. I’m talking the administrative assistants, the designers, the social media teams, the photographers, the cleaning crews, the IT staff, etc.