2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

21 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Although I rarely see any coyotes gear on campus, whenever I do it always has the kachina logo and it's always in dining halls and around dorms so its probably freshmen born between 00-02 (ASU doesn't really have upperclassmen housing) so nostalgia wouldn't be a factor for them. Phoenix loves the Kachina look

Exactly! It made sense when she told me so because it's been such a sell for a team struggling to sell and might be on the move to Quebec City or Houston. Most of the Yotes gear you see in the Phoenix metro area is Kachina. It might be ugly but they love it and that's what really matters in the end.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I would never put the Kachina uniforms in the same category as the Buffaslug. 

Not in terms of quality, no.But a big part of the reason the Kachina is so liked is because its seen as this wacky design from the 90s. It happens a lot, people suddenly view things from that era with rose tinted goggles and want to see the uniforms return, at least in some capacity. After a certain amount of time passes people will start waxing nostalgic for the 00s like they did the 80s and are doing right now with the 90s and when that time comes I guarantee you'll see people wanting the Sabres to throw back to the Buffaslug.

I suppose, but the Buffaslug was so universally-hated and people clamored for the traditional crest so much that I doubt it’s redeemed. It came up during the burgeoning of social media, unlike designs such as the Fisherman, the gradient Canucks, the Goat Head, and Robo-Pen.

There may be a few people who will want it, but I doubt anybody will take them seriously. This is the Buffalo Sabres we’re talking about, a team that seemed reticent to even throw back to the less-goofy Goat Head design. I doubt it has that same nostalgia push.

7 hours ago, Chromatic said:

But a big part of the reason the Kachina is so liked is because its seen as this wacky design from the 90s. It happens a lot, people suddenly view things from that era with rose tinted goggles and want to see the uniforms return, at least in some capacity. After a certain amount of time passes people will start waxing nostalgic for the 00s like they did the 80s and are doing right now with the 90s and when that time comes I guarantee you'll see people wanting the Sabres to throw back to the Buffaslug.

A big part of the reason Coyotes fans love the Kachina is because it's an Arizona-based design, not because "lol it's wacky".

The Kachinas were incredibly unique but also quite restrained; sort of like the Mighty Ducks' jerseys, which are unsurprisingly another incredibly popular 90's jersey that fans have clamored for to come back as a primary. The current logo and uniforms are fine, but they'd fit for any team named the "Coyotes" in any location, which the Kachina does not; it's a design that only works in Arizona because it's so rooted in the region, plus it's incredibly unique amongst the NHL's current jersey designs.

That's why Coyotes fans want the Kachinas back as the primary jerseys. It's not out of irony or some waxing of nostalgia for a bad uniform, it's because it's pretty clearly the best look the Coyotes franchise has ever had as far as connecting to the region they play in.

After all; when's the last time you saw a rapper rep the maroon and white Coyotes jersey?

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

A big part of the reason Coyotes fans love the Kachina is because it's an Arizona-based design, not because "lol it's wacky".

The Kachinas were incredibly unique but also quite restrained; sort of like the Mighty Ducks' jerseys, which are unsurprisingly another incredibly popular 90's jersey that fans have clamored for to come back as a primary. The current logo and uniforms are fine, but they'd fit for any team named the "Coyotes" in any location, which the Kachina does not; it's a design that only works in Arizona because it's so rooted in the region, plus it's incredibly unique amongst the NHL's current jersey designs.

That's why Coyotes fans want the Kachinas back as the primary jerseys. It's not out of irony or some waxing of nostalgia for a bad uniform, it's because it's pretty clearly the best look the Coyotes franchise has ever had as far as connecting to the region they play in.

After all; when's the last time you saw a rapper rep the maroon and white Coyotes jersey?

spacer.png

Sure. Thats all true. None of it negates anything I said about why its a part of why some people want it back either, or that a similar effect will eventually happen with the Buffaslug.

The CCCP-esque set from when Gretzky owned the team was not without its charms, but the "Arizona Coyotes" set above is just painfully below-average. I understood the minimalism of the last set as a correction for the Kachina stuff and a sign that the organization was maturing into the market (though that didn't exactly go as planned). This set is just stripes and stuff for the sake of it, nothing signifies anything.

Again, I was partial to the black alternates that went with red helmets and breezers. It was an appropriately modern design, Phoenix doesn't have to and shouldn't look old-timey, and black over red was something to call their own while the Blackhawks and Devils wore red over black.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/19/2020 at 2:02 AM, M4One said:

I like the design of the Kachina jersey, but I think the colours are all too dark.  Maybe a slightly brighter green.

I'm in the Kachina is better than anything subsequent camp. Here's my quick mock-up of the current Kachina jersey with lightened, saturated, and richer green and brick colors. I'm not sure if it would be enough to make the uniforms appear less dreary against the ice on TV, but I think it's an improvement over the original colors.

3w73k02.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I suppose, but the Buffaslug was so universally-hated and people clamored for the traditional crest so much that I doubt it’s redeemed. It came up during the burgeoning of social media, unlike designs such as the Fisherman, the gradient Canucks, the Goat Head, and Robo-Pen.

There may be a few people who will want it, but I doubt anybody will take them seriously. This is the Buffalo Sabres we’re talking about, a team that seemed reticent to even throw back to the less-goofy Goat Head design. I doubt it has that same nostalgia push.

There are a group of sabres fans still complaining that the stripes on the white jersey arent correct and hate them because of it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

My biggest issue with the current Coyotes look are the home socks. I like the concept of the sleeves remaining the same on both jerseys and that sleeve pattern being the sock striping, but the home socks makes them look like a white bottomed red sock with a floating black stripe instead of a cohesive striping pattern.

To try to explain what I'm saying, the white socks appear as a white sock with a b/r/w/r/w striping pattern that copies the sleeve pattern. On the red socks, it looks more like a red sock, a black stripe, a return to the red sock and then a w/r/w pattern separate from the above black stripe. 

5b9823847c3fd.image.jpg?resize=1200,834

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I'm in the Kachina is better than anything subsequent camp. Here's my quick mock-up of the current Kachina jersey with lightened, saturated, and richer green and brick colors. I'm not sure if it would be enough to make the uniforms appear less dreary against the ice on TV, but I think it's an improvement over the original colors.

3w73k02.jpg

Looks better! What if they changed the colors around and the burgundy was the main color behind the logo and black moved under the kachina stripe?? The logo would have to change color too probably but it could work

My problem with the Kachina design is that it uses too many colours and the identity gets muddled. Are they a black team? Green? The logo is primarily brick red, orange, and green. And the alternate mark is mostly purple.

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

My problem with the Kachina design is that it uses too many colours and the identity gets muddled. Are they a black team? Green? The logo is primarily brick red, orange, and green. And the alternate mark is mostly purple.

That's why I'd support bringing the design back but keeping the brick/sand/black palette from the current identity alongside purple as an accent secondary color. Marries the Kachina identity with a simpler palette of colors.

Plus, they've been a brick/sand/black team for much longer than they've had the full Kachina colors, so it'd be weird to drop it, especially when said colors are associated with the deepest run the franchise has ever had in the playoffs.

Coyotes can make Kachina jerseys with current colors and logo, there are plenty of concepts here which prove that would work very well. I'd actualy even prefer to see new kachina and keep original as a throwback.

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I kind of see this logo how you would the blackhawks logo. They sell the idea of the team and its uniqueness through complexity makes it special. The blackhawks are not a brown, or yellow, or green team by any means. Those colors really pop and give the logo a bit of much needed charm against the jerseys red. I feel the same for the 'Yotes can be done. Maybe with a simpiler modern yet classic template

ATL

15 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

That's why I'd support bringing the design back but keeping the brick/sand/black palette from the current identity alongside purple as an accent secondary color. Marries the Kachina identity with a simpler palette of colors.

What I don't like about that palette is that it removes the three most eye-catching colours of Kachina design and turns them into a 'Brick' version of every other red and black team.  Seeing the original palette on a modern jersey materials, in HD, was a revelation after 13 years comparative dullness. 

Speaking of 1990s designs that need to come back, I can't think of any possible reason for the Ducks not to bring back the Mighty Ducks jerseys. You can keep the name as is and make a slight adjustment to the shoulder patch but it's still the best the team has looked. Do what I did in the CHL or my Nike NHL project and change the sticks in the logo to orange to keep the Orange County reference and there you go.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well the Ducks already have two different current versions of the Mighty Ducks logo, so what's a third?

I have seen a couple comments across the internet from people who are supposedly "in the know" with people within the Ducks organization (take that however you will) who have said the Samueli's love the orange but the players don't really like it. The players have also been the ones (allegedly) making the decision not to wear orange during recent playoffs despite the Ducks playoff branding surrounding "Paint It Orange". The players also (allegedly) really liked the 25th anniversary jersey and prefer it to the current look.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived