2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

spacer.png

Carolina's wearing their Reverse Retro for only 2 games. 

Seems like a waste of a pretty solid RR uni. League should have mandated a minimum of five games.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Teams really need to start doing multi-coloured gloves again. They look so sharp. Montreal is the only team doing that on their primary uniforms I think right?

Rangers and Capitals. Flames to a lesser extent. Golden Knights, Islanders and Predators have contrasting cuff roll and fingers. Every other team has either solid colored gloves or just a contrasting cuff roll. I agree, it's super boring. Chicago could bring back those gloves from the 60s-90s

2015-winter-classic-jersey-froncropt.jpg

45 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Seems like a waste of a pretty solid RR uni. League should have mandated a minimum of five games.

I feel like the RR program as a whole has been a huge success and I'm sure a lot of teams are gonna bring back theirs for next year as well, possibly even as full time alternates. Unless the NHL wants team to try another league-wide concept, or maybe another round of RR

55 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I feel like the RR program as a whole has been a huge success and I'm sure a lot of teams are gonna bring back theirs for next year as well, possibly even as full time alternates. Unless the NHL wants team to try another league-wide concept, or maybe another round of RR

Whoa, as long as the NHL doesn't end up like the NBA.

10 minutes ago, joekono said:

Whoa, as long as the NHL doesn't end up like the NBA.

True. I don't want 5 or 6 jerseys per team but 3 or 4 if the 4th one is worn only once or twice a year (like Carolina or NJ) is fine imo. What I dislike about NBA uniforms is when they have short sleeves or when the colors are so different they look like a different team, except for the Miami Vice jerseys, I really like those for some reason. So unless NHL teams start experimenting with short sleeves, I think it's all good lol

13 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

True. I don't want 5 or 6 jerseys per team but 3 or 4 if the 4th one is worn only once or twice a year (like Carolina or NJ) is fine imo. What I dislike about NBA uniforms is when they have short sleeves or when the colors are so different they look like a different team, except for the Miami Vice jerseys, I really like those for some reason. So unless NHL teams start experimenting with short sleeves, I think it's all good lol

13 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Totally agree with everything you said. My ire is at the NBA(I've done it enough) and changing the teams identities(some do need a change but not many). I've seen other posts here(so it's not my eyesight) and when I put on a NBA game, sometimes I don't know who they hell is playing. I also like the Miami Vice jerseys(I put up a post the other day of a white and black jersey that they USED to wear).That would be an OK change in identity to me. Some people say it's gimmicky but that's ok. Changing the vice colors every year is just money grabbing right to our faces. Yeah, and I don't think we have to worry about the horrible short sleeves in he NHL.😃

7 minutes ago, joekono said:

Totally agree with everything you said. My ire is at the NBA(I've done it enough) and changing the teams identities(some do need a change but not many). I've seen other posts here(so it's not my eyesight) and when I put on a NBA game, sometimes I don't know who they hell is playing. I also like the Miami Vice jerseys(I put up a post the other day of a white and black jersey that they USED to wear).That would be an OK change in identity to me. Some people say it's gimmicky but that's ok. Changing the vice colors every year is just money grabbing right to our faces. Yeah, and I don't think we have to worry about the horrible short sleeves in he NHL.😃

Yeah exactly. I don't mind a 3rd or even 4th jersey as long as it doesn't dilute the team's identity too much. IMO the Heat get a pass cause the Miami Vice jerseys and colors are better than their regular jerseys

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

So unless NHL teams start experimenting with short sleeves, I think it's all good lol

Uh, no. Who would want that now the arm paddings are exposed? It's like removing the skin from a human body and only exposing the muscle part.

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I have no clue about the parameters set by the league on RR usage, but this falls in line as a nice replacement for the 2 games the green Whalers jersey was worn in recent seasons. 

I wonder if we saw a full 82-game season if it'd be increased. Also, among Hurricanes fans I know the reaction to these was pretty ho-hum. I think folks like the way they look but would rather have seen a "Reverse Retro" of the original 1997 Hurricanes uniforms or even a mash-up of Whalers colors and Carolina logos. The team has now been an NHL franchise in NC longer than it was a NHL franchise in CT; many Canes fans I know, me included, are over the Whalers cash grab of the last few years.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

2 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

I have no clue about the parameters set by the league on RR usage, but this falls in line as a nice replacement for the 2 games the green Whalers jersey was worn in recent seasons. 

I wonder if we saw a full 82-game season if it'd be increased. Also, among Hurricanes fans I know the reaction to these was pretty ho-hum. I think folks like the way they look but would rather have seen a "Reverse Retro" of the original 1997 Hurricanes uniforms or even a mash-up of Whalers colors and Carolina logos. The team has now been an NHL franchise in NC longer than it was a NHL franchise in CT; many Canes fans I know, me included, are over the Whalers cash grab of the last few years.

I’m pretty sure that the 2 game limit for the RR jersey was stated before it was decided how long the 20-21 season was set for.

By my count, 10 teams have not yet announced an advertising helmet partner.   

The NY Rangers have one for training camp but nothing about the regular season yet.  Anaheim, Chicago, Colorado, Los Angeles, Islanders, Philadelphia, San Jose, Tampa Bay and Vegas have not made any announcements or been seen with any helmet ads.  

Curious if any of those teams go without a sponsor or are just planning on slapping on the sticker once the regular season starts.

16 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

I think the NHL should have still incorporated the sponsor logo, only they should do it in front.

rqpXP5A.jpg

IIHF-esque. And it still gives teams opportunities to put something special on the helmet (ex. Blue Jackets' 3D-printed crest).

And I like it better that way.

I only agree with this if the logo is NOT on a contrasting background. The Russian WJC helmet with the giant white block on the front did not look good.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

The league has released the logo for this year's outdoor games taking place at Lake Tahoe:

spacer.png

They've also confirmed that the teams involved will be wearing their Reverse Retros for the games. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-outdoor-games-at-lake-tahoe-feb-20-21/c-320191586?tid=280504338

9 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

The original uniforms RR'd in black or maybe even gray would have looked cool

Retro Uniforms for NHL Outdoors at Lake Tahoe 2021

January 11, 2021 - 22:41 PM

The National Hockey League today announced two outdoor games for the abbreviated 2020-21 season, both to be held at Lake Tahoe along the Nevada/California border. This will mark the 32nd and 33rd time the league has gone outdoors for a regular season game, the league has held an outdoor game

Read More...

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The league has released the logo for this year's outdoor games taking place at Lake Tahoe:

spacer.png

They've also confirmed that the teams involved will be wearing their Reverse Retros for the games. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-outdoor-games-at-lake-tahoe-feb-20-21/c-320191586?tid=280504338

Reminds me of a Tim Horton's cup

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived