2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

20 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

I think the NHL should have still incorporated the sponsor logo, only they should do it in front.

rqpXP5A.jpg

IIHF-esque. And it still gives teams opportunities to put something special on the helmet (ex. Blue Jackets' 3D-printed crest).

And I like it better that way.

A minor issue preventing this.  NHL teams do not have the helmet manufacturer mark on the sides of their helmets anymore.  Haven't for years.  It is only on the front.  They would not cover it with an ad.  Good idea as long as it was subtle and NHL teams had the helmet manufacturer mark on sides again.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

I have no clue about the parameters set by the league on RR usage, but this falls in line as a nice replacement for the 2 games the green Whalers jersey was worn in recent seasons. 

I wonder if we saw a full 82-game season if it'd be increased. Also, among Hurricanes fans I know the reaction to these was pretty ho-hum. I think folks like the way they look but would rather have seen a "Reverse Retro" of the original 1997 Hurricanes uniforms or even a mash-up of Whalers colors and Carolina logos. The team has now been an NHL franchise in NC longer than it was a NHL franchise in CT; many Canes fans I know, me included, are over the Whalers cash grab of the last few years.

I think Carolina wearing the green Whalers throwback once or twice a year at the absolute most is plenty enough. I love seeing the Whalers throwback but I hope after this grey Reverse Retro jersey they cut back on the Whalers uniforms. I think one game around St. Patrick's Day every year like what the Maple Leafs have been doing for the past few years with their St. Pats throwback would be great moving forward.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30694245/expecting-billions-losses-short-season-nhl-gary-bettman-says-cheaper-us-shut-doors-not-play?platform=amp

Bettman said that gate revenue generated directly and indirectly at games accounts for roughly 50% of league revenue. The league has looked at creative ways to recoup revenue, including selling naming rights to its division names for the first time and allowing teams to put advertising stickers on helmets.

"The jury is still out on jersey signage," Bettman said. "And if we are going to do that, that was something that was important enough that I didn't want to do it under these circumstances. Nobody should jump to any conclusions, in terms of what's next."

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I think Carolina wearing the green Whalers throwback once or twice a year at the absolute most is plenty enough. I love seeing the Whalers throwback but I hope after this grey Reverse Retro jersey they cut back on the Whalers uniforms. I think one game around St. Patrick's Day every year like what the Maple Leafs have been doing for the past few years with their St. Pats throwback would be great moving forward.

I completely agree. If the team feels like rolling out some Whalers throwback once a year against Boston so transplants and hockey buffs can enjoy some nostalgia and then once again around St. Patrick's Day, whatever, nobody would really care. But we've reached a point in the timeline of the team where there are opportunities to highlight aspects of the franchise which may not include the time in CT. I know the first 17-18 years in NC basically never touched on the Hartford days, but after 2 years of Whalers nights, the RR feels like a miss. Would've preferred a Wild/North Stars type RR or a true Canes RR.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

Not sure if its worth its own thread, but I am interested in how different NHL teams tarp off their seats.  The bubble in Edmonton looked amazing but I doubt any teams will put that money into a similar set up.  

Here is what Colorado is doing:

tQKGRD1.jpg

8 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Not sure if its worth its own thread, but I am interested in how different NHL teams tarp off their seats.  The bubble in Edmonton looked amazing but I doubt any teams will put that money into a similar set up.  

Here is what Colorado is doing:

tQKGRD1.jpg

THIS is where they should have put their ugly ads

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

THIS is where they should have put their ugly ads

Oh, they're gonna do that too.

The Sabres will have ad tarps around the 100 level and cardboard cutouts of fans (at $60 a pop) in the 200 and 300 levels.  https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-offering-fan-cutouts-in-keybank-center/article_c3f0572c-5463-11eb-a9ae-d72b3b78444d.html 

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

They did a great job using the proper blue shade and not royal or navy.

The helmet kinda looks royal blue to me, but for some reason, it seems to be very hard for helmets to match colors. More so than gloves and pants. If I'm not mistaken, that's why the Mighty Ducks switched to black gear for two seasons in the late 90s. They were getting annoyed that helmet manufacturers couldn't get the eggplant right. Not that it was ever really fixed lol

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Echo said:

Oh, they're gonna do that too.

The Sabres will have ad tarps around the 100 level and cardboard cutouts of fans (at $60 a pop) in the 200 and 300 levels.  https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-offering-fan-cutouts-in-keybank-center/article_c3f0572c-5463-11eb-a9ae-d72b3b78444d.html 

Smart! I like that

10 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

🤯

uSYAz48.png

i knew the third and fourth jerseys had black helmets and pants, but i didn't realize the primaries did. i just thought it was very dark eggplant.

I also just realized that they only wore these jerseys with eggplant pants for one season (1999-00)

13090610492730.jpg

51JvcWfcF5L._AC_.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

56 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

🤯

I'm not surprised you didn't know. Most people don't remember that. Whenever a picture of Kariya as a Mighty Duck is used, it's usually from the 2003 Finals.

52 minutes ago, nash61 said:

i knew the third and fourth jerseys had black helmets and pants, but i didn't realize the primaries did. i just thought it was very dark eggplant.

I also just realized that they only wore these jerseys with eggplant pants for one season (1999-00)

13090610492730.jpg

Those sets were very underrated imo. Especially with those socks and the eggplant gear. The jade version was alright but the white one looks great. I would be cool to find a press release or insider info on why they went with 4 jerseys for a while. Were they inspired by the Rangers, who did the Lady Liberty 3rd in white as well? Did they originally plan on switching to those full time but changed their mind at the last minute? I heard that they switched to black gear because of the helmets but that was a long time ago so I can't remember any details. It was on ModSquadHockey, there's a guy who posts there who used to be an equipment manager for the Stars or something like that so he often had very interesting anecdotes

According to the Ducks promotional schedule tab on their website, the Ducks are only wearing their RR's twice, Feb. 26 against Vegas and April 9 against Colorado.

So I guess the initial belief/report about the RR's being only worn twice (where did that come from again?) might be correct, but the Flames must have not gotten the memo.

13 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I'm not surprised you didn't know. Most people don't remember that. Whenever a picture of Kariya as a Mighty Duck is used, it's usually from the 2003 Finals.

I always thought the Mighty Ducks wearing black equipment for a hot minute was a fairly common factoid here on the boards, but I guess Survival is one of today's 10,000. Though I always thought the story was the equipment companies not having enough eggplant material at the time.

13 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Those sets were very underrated imo. Especially with those socks and the eggplant gear. The jade version was alright but the white one looks great. I would be cool to find a press release or insider info on why they went with 4 jerseys for a while. Were they inspired by the Rangers, who did the Lady Liberty 3rd in white as well? Did they originally plan on switching to those full time but changed their mind at the last minute? 

I never really minded those jerseys, but I never liked the socks.

I would think the jade one was just to have a second alternate.

IEI5Tg1.png

42 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Though I always thought the story was the equipment companies not having enough eggplant material at the time.

I never really minded those jerseys, but I never liked the socks.

That doesn't really make sense. The shortage would have lasted two full seasons? Now that I think about it, the black gear coincided with the release of the 3rd and 4th jerseys. Maybe it was a way to save a little bit on equipment costs? Basic black gear is probably cheaper than fully custom gear nobody else used in the league. Maybe they didn't like what the alternate jerseys looked like with eggplant gear?

I've always disliked white socks that were colored all the way down to the ankle for some reason, so I actually prefer those to their regular ones. That's another interesting discussion imo, the Mighty Ducks and Panthers were the first teams to do that in 93. It had never been down before, so even if those uniforms don't seem all that wild by modern standards, they were actually very unusual in the early 90s

30 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Wow Ottawa looks really good.  What an improvement:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ7lgKpMqoM/?igshid=mabvkp28edu2

Wow, yes indeed. It was long overdue. The one thing that bothers me is that the numbers on the white helmets are red in the front and black in the back. Why? lol

Archived