2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

That doesn't really make sense. The shortage would have lasted two full seasons? Now that I think about it, the black gear coincided with the release of the 3rd and 4th jerseys. Maybe it was a way to save a little bit on equipment costs? Basic black gear is probably cheaper than fully custom gear nobody else used in the league. Maybe they didn't like what the alternate jerseys looked like with eggplant gear?

How would it have said equipment costs to get a whole new set of black equipment for everybody instead of just getting a couple new pieces of eggplant equipment for the handful of players who needed it, just to then go a get a whole new set of eggplant stuff two seasons later?

The story that was always thrown around on the boards was it was because of issues getting the eggplant equipment.

Just Googling it now brings up nothing other than results just saying they switched to black equipment for two seasons and then switched back, so nobody knows, or cares, I guess.

IbjBaeE.png

5 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

How would it have said equipment costs to get a whole new set of black equipment for everybody instead of just getting a couple new pieces of eggplant equipment for the handful of players who needed it, just to then go a get a whole new set of eggplant stuff two seasons later?

I have no idea lmao. Maybe they figured it was cheaper in the long run? I'm not an equipment manager, I have no idea how any of this works

13 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

I completely agree. If the team feels like rolling out some Whalers throwback once a year against Boston so transplants and hockey buffs can enjoy some nostalgia and then once again around St. Patrick's Day, whatever, nobody would really care. But we've reached a point in the timeline of the team where there are opportunities to highlight aspects of the franchise which may not include the time in CT. I know the first 17-18 years in NC basically never touched on the Hartford days, but after 2 years of Whalers nights, the RR feels like a miss. Would've preferred a Wild/North Stars type RR or a true Canes RR.

Speaking of Carolina, I think they should do a black reverse retro of their original jerseys. I actually think Carolina's old black third is the best jersey the Hurricanes have ever worn.

Bruins Add “TR24” Helmet Decal in Memory of Travis Roy

January 13, 2021 - 15:51 PM

The Boston Bruins will be wearing a commemorative TR24 decal on the back of their helmets throughout the 2020-21 NHL season in memory of Travis Roy who died in October 2020. Roy, a hockey player with Boston University, became paralyzed after just 11 seconds into his first shift for the

Read More...

14 hours ago, monkeypower said:

According to the Ducks promotional schedule tab on their website, the Ducks are only wearing their RR's twice, Feb. 26 against Vegas and April 9 against Colorado.

You'd think that the Ducks' white RR and the Kings' purple RR would have been an automatic matchup. I honestly thought that's why the Ducks went with the white RR jersey, as eggplant vs. purple might be tough. 

And the Ducks' white RR vs Colorado's white RR? on April 9? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

The one thing that bothers me is that the numbers on the white helmets are red in the front and black in the back. Why? lol

13 hours ago, jp1409 said:

They're both red from what I'm seeing...

13 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah I think you're right. It was kinda hard to tell on my phone. In my defense, the black outline looks t h i c c

S1wbcCq.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

You'd think that the Ducks' white RR and the Kings' purple RR would have been an automatic matchup. I honestly thought that's why the Ducks went with the white RR jersey, as eggplant vs. purple might be tough. 

And the Ducks' white RR vs Colorado's white RR? on April 9? 

Not all the RR games must be RR v RR then.

IbjBaeE.png

6 minutes ago, B-mer said:

so is there any official release expected for the Avs or are we just waiting to see in the game tonight?

The only official news was the press release back in November that announced the 25th logo and new equipment.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/avalanche-to-celebrate-25th-anniversary-season-in-202021/c-319653422

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

17 minutes ago, B-mer said:

That's what i'm wondering for the Lake Tahoe BOS/PHI game.  Orange vs Gold doesn't seem like it'd work out well.

My understanding is the 2 Lake Tahoe games will be RR vs. RR.

Orange vs. yellow has been done numerous times in the NHL.  Think back to the 1970s and 1980s.  Flyers at Golden Seals, Flyers at Kings, or Flyers at Canucks was orange vs. yellow for many years.

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

Not all the RR games must be RR v RR then.

The Habs are wearing theirs against Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Edmonton twice. Edmonton is the only team that has a white RR, so maybe they also wear theirs in one of those two games. I'm guessing the new divisions have foiled the plan for teams to wear their RRs against each other, if there was one to begin with

3 minutes ago, B-mer said:

The actual uniform updates.  I just expected we'd eventually see some full uniform shots as we get with new uniforms.

Don't hold your breath. Maybe they only meant the patch. I can't remember the exact wording but that press release was vague and confusing at best, some people even thought they were gonna wear blue helmets with the away jerseys at some point

NHL 2021: All the New Logos and Uniforms This Year

January 13, 2021 - 19:27 PM

The 2020-21 National Hockey League regular season is finally getting underway tonight when the Pittsburgh Penguins visit the Philadelphia Flyers at 5:30 pm ET, four other games will follow giving us our first night of regular season hockey in nearly a year. Here today I will give you a look

Read More...

12 minutes ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

I’m probably gonna get flamed for this but watching the Pens and Flyers, I honestly barely notice the helmet ads, if at all.

Probably the two biggest sponsor logo too.  That Flyers one is HUUUUGE

Archived