2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the blue pants on the Avs away uniforms definitely balance out the colours much better, but what were they thinking keeping the black numbers!? The goal was to remove the black everywhere else but you leave the numbers black? I’m guessing they’ll be changing them maybe next year? Feels like they made a lot of little mistakes with these new uniforms. Mismatching blue helmets, too much blue on home uniforms, keeping black on road jerseys. Honestly they probably should have just kept the black pants and helmet. 

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Kinda think the Avs should have gone with burgandy pants for everything. These blue pants with white jerseys and black numbers just looks meh. 

Burgundy may have been a bit too much for the home, but they would be vastly better than the blue on the road. Can’t help but feel like the blue breezers feel so out of place with the rest of the road set.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

5 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I can't believe they kept the mismatching stripes. It was terrible 50 years ago and it's even worse now, since they had the chance to correct it and didn't.

But the six mismatched stripes represent the six decades of the franchise being completely mismanaged.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, _RH_ said:

My biggest objection that I haven't seen mentioned here is that burgundy and blue will touch on both home and road. The whole reason grey exists for them is to separate the two main colors, but they've failed to account for that IMO.

Bumping this complaint about Avs pants.

Maybe I'll feel differently after seeing them enough, but the burgundy hem adjacent to blue pants looks really bad.

P.s. along with the black numbers that make no sense and total lack of blue on jersey, that baby blue helmet logo is atrocious

The homes I can accept, but these roads are not working for me. I think to make it work it would require some more changes to the uniforms outside of just the numbers. I think Chris (maybe someone else?) posted some variations a little while back that looked better even though they were a bigger departure from the burgundy. 

I saw a recent concept too that got me thinking that reversing things a little could work. Picture a blue jersey with burgundy mountain stripes and burgundy pants/gloves/helmet. I was somewhat surprised how much I liked that. 

12 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

It literally doesn't get any more BFBS than the Flames. They're the Flames, not the Ashes, Cinders or the Burned Remains. Black shouldn't even be used as a trim color, let alone a secondary color lmao

It's a uniform representing a fire-themed team, not a literal depiction of fire...  Black is a perfectly acceptable colour for them to use.  It's also about as far from Black for Blacks Sake as it gets since it adds some much needed contrast and definition to a scheme that is overly bright and borderline gaudy.  The new uniforms might be an improvement over what they've used for the past 13 seasons but IMO they're still a massive downgrade from what they had from 2004 to 2007.

11 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

They're the Flames, not the Ashes, Cinders or the Burned Remains. Black shouldn't even be used as a trim color, let alone a secondary color lmao

This is a sports brand, not a photorealistic illustration, it doesn't need to be literal. This is like saying "the Leafs should ditch blue and be a green team because maple leaves are green and not blue"; like yeah, it's not literally true, but it's not supposed to be a literal thing. 

Besides, I see nothing objectively wrong about this look, and certainly nothing that says "BFBS" (a term which has become so overused it's beginning to lose meaning beyond "uniform set that I don't like what has black in it");

spacer.png

spacer.png

UniWatch's definition of BFBS is "Stands for “black for black’s sake,” a reference to teams that gratuitously add black to their uniform design even though black was never one of their team colors.", and explicitly uses the black Mets jersey as an example. Personally, I think this is far more egregious a case of BFBS than any black-inclusive Flames jersey has ever been;

spacer.png

Like, who looks at the A's uniforms and thinks "You know what this team needs? A black alternate which uses basically no green at all!"? That's what I qualify as BFBS; black being added for no other reason but to have black. The Flames changed their entire uniform design when they added black to the scheme, so I'd count it as more of a normal uniform overhaul as opposed to true-blue BFBS, since black was designed around rather than lazily slapped in to try and make it look cooler.

Even in hockey, I'd say the Isles are exponentially more guilty of BFBS than the Flames;

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I think it’s gonna look amazing.  The Avs were

too dark and bland in their aways before.  This should really help.  And the “worst” part of the new equipment are the helmets and the away look won’t have that element.  

Numbers are still black.

mikko-rantanen-of-the-colorado-avalanche

c742038b3c2d4255bcdff183d34c31d0.jpg?fit

joonas-donskoi-of-the-colorado-avalanche

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm starting to wonder if Colorado missed a deadline to change the numbers to blue, similarly to how LeBron couldn't switch to 6 last year so AD could have 23 because it was too late and Nike had already too much gear with LeBron 23.

Maybe eventually I'll get use to the blue pants with the white jersey (eh, not my team, anyways), but right now, I don't really like it.  The black was a better match for the burgundy.

2 hours ago, M4One said:

I'm starting to wonder if Colorado missed a deadline to change the numbers to blue, similarly to how LeBron couldn't switch to 6 last year...

I tend to agree with you. That press release from a month or two ago hinted at uniform modifications, and I see none.

Could the solution be as simple as blue numbers and returning the steel-blue stripe to its rightful place on the white sweater? Then the blue gloves and breezers look more cohesive?

1 hour ago, NYRFan said:

I tend to agree with you. That press release from a month or two ago hinted at uniform modifications, and I see none.

The uniform modifications were the pants, gloves, and helmets. The release didn’t specifically say sweaters/jerseys. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

This is a sports brand, not a photorealistic illustration, it doesn't need to be literal. This is like saying "the Leafs should ditch blue and be a green team because maple leaves are green and not blue"; like yeah, it's not literally true, but it's not supposed to be a literal thing. 

Besides, I see nothing objectively wrong about this look, and certainly nothing that says "BFBS" (a term which has become so overused it's beginning to lose meaning beyond "uniform set that I don't like what has black in it");

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still think that the red uniform would have been with a white 'C' with a yellow/black outline. (this from a guy who prefers the San Diego Los Angeles Chargers navy jerseys with a white lightning bolt) Otherwise, these were great looks for the Flames. I like the black outline on the red 'C'. It makes the details stands out more.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived