squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

Just now, the admiral said:

I don't mind the jade and eggplant color scheme, but that logo with the poorly drawn hockey sticks and the duck mask would have to go. Unfortunately, I can't imagine the colors without the logo (we see the logo without the colors, and it's even worse).

I'm not sure the colors are necessarily bonded to the logo. Heck, the logo often had one of those signature colors missing!

7391_anaheim_mighty_ducks-jersey-1994.pngayemx91ehmshgojdd9hfkr476.png

No Eggplant on the left, no Jade on the right. This was not a well-designed logo. It has brand equity (far greater than the arguably better "D-foot"), but it's a terrible artwork for getting the colors of the brand across. 

The cup winning set is better than what they have now.  Yeah, the script sucks but at least the overall package isn't an over-designed, piping and panel laden mess.  Also, that shade of gold or "champagne" only looks good in 'shimmer' material.  On the current jerseys it looks like beige or khaki and is overpowered by the unnecessary amount of orange.

If the Ducks want to embrace their cup win, they should bring back the associated look sans full script.  Otherwise, I'd say returning to Eggplant and Jade is fair game.

nvn3KiR.jpglqyg5xP.jpg

Because this jersey is better than either option.  The fact that it's revered today in spite of a negative Disney connection should cement it as a modern classic.

HFETlRp.jpg

I still vouch for keeping orange as a local tie over the silver, but ditching the rest of it in favour of the Mighty Ducks look. Black, white and orange are Philly's territory, and the shade of gold they use isn't better then the eggplant or jade.

50 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Heck, the logo often had one of those signature colors missing!

I much prefer the Mighty Ducks logo to the D-foot logo, but I've always thought that about the colours, though I never really had an issue with the colour scheming of the Mighty Ducks logos.

If you didn't know who the Mighty Ducks were and you saw just the logo on its own, you'd think they were a jade/black/yellow team. You would have no idea that only two of those colours would be on the jersey with only one really being considered a "team colour" and the fact that their primary colour isn't even one of those three colours. Even more so the other version with the silver/black/yellow logo because that logo has none of the team's colours (removing the jersey backgrounds it was placed on).

Not that you need team colours to be on a logo, like the Blackhawks, and I do think the Mighty Ducks did have the brand awareness of the prominent jersey colours, again like the Blackhawks, where the logo colouring is fine.

I've also always wondered the reasoning for having the silver triangle logo. I would have thought the jade, especially with the white outline, would have enough of a contrast to be used on the eggplant jerseys.

19 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The cup winning set is better than what they have now.  Yeah, the script sucks but at least the overall package isn't an over-designed, piping and panel laden mess.  Also, that shade of gold or "champagne" only looks good in 'shimmer' material.  On the current jerseys it looks like beige or khaki and is overpowered by the unnecessary amount of orange.

I think the Cup jerseys, and the subsequent EDGE jerseys, are the worst they've had and the increasing the use of orange was a smart move. The shimmer was cool enough I guess, but it was lost in the stripe getting swallowed up by the black of the jersey. The Cup/EDGE jerseys were so bland and dark.

I also saw enough away games of the Ducks in their EDGE whites to say those didn't look all that good either.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm not sure the colors are necessarily bonded to the logo. Heck, the logo often had one of those signature colors missing!

No Eggplant on the left, no Jade on the right. This was not a well-designed logo. It has brand equity (far greater than the arguably better "D-foot"), but it's a terrible artwork for getting the colors of the brand across. 

I think it was Starter (and Zephyr) that made a hat in the 90s with a jade triangle on an eggplant backgound, and it looked really good. 

Anaheim Ducks Zephyr Z11 Snapback Adjustable Hat - Purple/Teal

Anaheim Mighty Ducks Zephyr NHL Snapback Curved Bill Snapback Hat ...

The silver triangle seemed inferior, and too much leeway to tertiary colors, IMO.

I'd vote they come up with an entirely new logo and color package.

55 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The NHL on NBC twitter account put out a graphic a couple days ago showing the Ducks logo evolution asking people what their favourite is and the Ducks quote tweeted it. All the responses to both tweets are people saying the Mighty Ducks logo.

This graphic only further reminds me of how poorly thought out the current Ducks brand is - but it arguably looks much worse in 2D applications than on the uniforms where it's been a mixed bag. As a fan it's been a tough pill to swallow, but no matter how I look at it; orange and beige do not work together. I still like the third jersey though.

I like the Mighty Ducks look as much as anyone and it was the very reason I was drawn to the team in the first place. The logo being brought back as an alternate mark has kept me happy, but the 25th Anniversary third was truly a breath of fresh air and it was nice to see the Ducks look like the Ducks again. I want those colours back - but then I never wanted them gone to begin with!

As much as I'd be perfectly content with the old uniforms being reinstated, I'd really like to see a real evolution of those. Some variation of the eggplant and jade scheme, even if the jade elements are minimalised somewhat. Get rid of the silver/grey. No more swooshes. No more diagonal hem stripes - but keep the diagonal sleeves because that's always been their thing. Throw in an orange accent as a nod to their home and the Cup era. Don't even bother bringing back yellow for the logo hockey sticks because orange is a perfectly good substitute there.

What I'd like most of all is a modernised or reimagined Mighty Ducks logo. Something that manages to retain the spirit of the original without looking like a Disney product. But keep the old one around for the occasional throwback night or whathaveyou - that way they'll give us something fresh and new, and they can continue milking our nostalgia for all its worth 😁

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

True, but let's also remember that the Stars won a Cup in a uniform set they've largely rejected since:

I think a case can be made that the "your winning look is timeless" sentiment gets a bit lost when you're that trendy 😛

Like take the Atlanta Hawks' gradients. I doubt even a NBA Championship was going to keep those around. 

Dull? It was dark, dingy, and really messy.

I liked the way that orange was used sparingly, and how it popped against the black. The "Tron" look is something I'd like to see a team successfully pull off at least once. The Cup winning Ducks weren't perfect in that regard, but I'm partial to the idea. 

I also think those sweaters would be greatly improved by swapping the wordmark out for the standalone webfoot D, but that is neither here or there. 

The uniforms, maybe. But those colors? I don't know, I think the Hornets have demonstrated that those colors can thrive outside of the '90s nostalgia context.

Agree to disagree on the Hornets. I wish they would go full retro nostalgia actually, because their modern uniforms since becoming the nu-Hornets have been really uninspired. The old Hornets stuff may be a bit dated, but it has character. 

I know. Dark green and orange, perhaps with black and yellow-gold as trim colors. Use an ornithologically-correct duck logo, with the "D" as the shoulder patches. Have the '90s Eggplant sweater as an alternate. It's distinctive, doesn't come off as goofy, and keeps the '90s look around in some capacity

That sounds good actually. Also sounds like what we would have gotten had Burke not shoved his military fetish into the process at the last minute. 

while also trying to explain why the Jade/Eggplant set isn't as rejected as some '90s designs. 

I mean I have a theory, but it's basically nostalgia heavy. 

The Mighty Ducks brand was designed by a corporation whose stock and trade is selling properties to kids. They know how to better than most, and the Ducks were no exception.

Hockey can be a stuffy sport with its Original Six fetishism, its Byzantine code of traditions and expected conduct, and a trophy that predates any other in the North American Big Four. So old it was donated by, and named after, an honest to G-d aristocrat. It's the closest we sports fans have to something steeped in medieval tradition on this side of the Atlantic. One of the Conference championships is named after the Prince of Wales! 

And then the Ducks come in with a cartoon duck mask logo, a 90s tie-in cartoon, a series of underdog kid sports movies at the genre's height, and shameless marketing. It upset the adult hockey crowd at the time and caught the attention of the kids everywhere who were drawn the trendy colours and radically unique logo among the rest the NHL had to offer. 

They never won a Cup in it and were, in fact, mostly a middling team in it. Much like the OG Hornets were actually. And like the Hornets, the unique branding specifically targeted to kids bypassed the lack of success in such a way that many of those kids are now, as adults, calling the identity a "classic." 

It was pure marking and it's now pure nostalgia in line with nostalgia for stuff like Pokemon or Power Rangers or other pop culture touchstones of the time.

And no, these aren't bad things, and I'm certainly not casting judgement. I have a soft spot for the Raptors' 90s uniforms for pretty much the same reason (thank you Jurassic Park). 

I'm just saying that if you want to dissect what draws people to the Mighty Ducks identity even today? Well that's a good starting point, in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The template is a fairly traditional striping design, just at an angle that them more unique.

The angle is what makes it not work for me. Modern templates make it harder to pull off, and even if you can? The large swath of jade just seems clunky to me now. 

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The angle is what makes it not work for me. Modern templates make it harder to pull off, and even if you can? The large swath of jade just seems clunky to me now. 

I think the 25th anniversary jersey actually perfectly handled the angled striping for a more modern take on the Mighty Ducks identity by simply making the angle shallower. Not only does it help reduce the prominence of jade slightly, it also stops the stripe from overlapping with the NOB, which is the only flaw I really have with the original jerseys.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I think a case can be made that the "your winning look is timeless" sentiment gets a bit lost when you're that trendy 😛

Like take the Atlanta Hawks' gradients. I doubt even a NBA Championship was going to keep those around. 

I'd argue that the Cup-winning set was just as trendy, with the "piping, yokes, and panels" style instead of the '90s style.

Agree to disagree on the Hornets. I wish they would go full retro nostalgia actually, because their modern uniforms since becoming the nu-Hornets have been really uninspired. The old Hornets stuff may be a bit dated, but it has character. 

Similarly. I'd argue that the colors aren't the issue, but rather the terrible font and reluctance to use updates of the vintage logos. Heck, the New Orleans Hornets did a better job of being the "modern Hornets."

That sounds good actually. Also sounds like what we would have gotten had Burke not shoved his military fetish into the process at the last minute. 

I was reading the old Duckjacks, where I got that idea. It's much better than anything this franchise came up with before or since.

I mean I have a theory, but it's basically nostalgia heavy. 

The Mighty Ducks brand was designed by a corporation whose stock and trade is selling properties to kids. They know how to better than most, and the Ducks were no exception.

Hockey can be a stuffy sport with its Original Six fetishism, its Byzantine code of traditions and expected conduct, and a trophy that predates any other in the North American Big Four. So old it was donated by, and named after, an honest to G-d aristocrat. It's the closest we sports fans have to something steeped in medieval tradition on this side of the Atlantic. One of the Conference championships is named after the Prince of Wales! 

True, but that doesn't mean it can't be influenced by "non-traditional" elements.

And then the Ducks come in with a cartoon duck mask logo, a 90s tie-in cartoon, a series of underdog kid sports movies at the genre's height, and shameless marketing. It upset the adult hockey crowd at the time and caught the attention of the kids everywhere who were drawn the trendy colours and radically unique logo among the rest the NHL had to offer. 

They never won a Cup in it and were, in fact, mostly a middling team in it. Much like the OG Hornets were actually. And like the Hornets, the unique branding specifically targeted to kids bypassed the lack of success in such a way that many of those kids are now, as adults, calling the identity a "classic." 

It was pure marking and it's now pure nostalgia in line with nostalgia for stuff like Pokemon or Power Rangers or other pop culture touchstones of the time.

And no, these aren't bad things, and I'm certainly not casting judgement. I have a soft spot for the Raptors' 90s uniforms for pretty much the same reason (thank you Jurassic Park). 

I'm just saying that if you want to dissect what draws people to the Mighty Ducks identity even today? Well that's a good starting point, in my opinion. 

That is a fair point, one that is both reasonable and backed up with evidence and the fundamentals of "nostalgia cycles." However, that does seem to imply that the only reason people like it is nostalgia, not for its own artistic merits or because the colors go so well together. I'd prefer a distinct color scheme to an ugly pastiche of the Flyers and the Golden Knights. Granted, Eggplant/Jade is a mix of Sharks/Kings, but it's more aesthetically pleasing. The logo is definitely of its time, but it can transcend.

Look at how the Avs have transcended their time by bringing back the proper jersey design (in a slightly simplified form). We used to complain all the time about them, even to the point of stressing how much the "faux-Rockies" design is superior. Now? Not a peep about the Avs. The '90s design can be good on its own, without the "nostalgia" qualifier.

See Ridleydash's response.

Edited by SFGiants58

Yeah, I can agree with that people can think the jade does go up a bit high. I personally think it's fine though.

I also think the anniversary jersey and the Ducks Day balloons prove that there can be a way to possibly combine the eras in a way that isn't as totally terrible as it may seem in theory.

video-anaheim-ducks-day-celebrates-25-ye

I do still have a few problems with the anniversary jerseys though.

22 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I think the 25th anniversary jersey actually perfectly handled the angled striping for a more modern take on the Mighty Ducks identity by simply making the angle shallower. Not only does it help reduce the prominence of jade slightly, it also stops the stripe from overlapping with the NOB, which is the only flaw I really have with the original jerseys.

Making the angle shallower is probably the right move if you were going to bring that identity back, but if we're going to concede to changes here, why stop? I quite like the 25th anniversary sweater's colours more than that actual Mighty Ducks-era scheme. Is that on the table? And is the logo really that untouchable? It's a straight up Disney logo, and yeah. There will be people who will NEVER accept it for that reason. 

19 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd argue that the Cup-winning set was just as trendy, with the "piping, yokes, and panels" style instead of the '90s style.

I don't think the Ducks' Cup look is a panels and piping design. That more describes their primary look today, in my opinion. The swooshy striping on the Cup uniforms was, I think, an attempt to do the 90s angled striping in a more contemporary (for the time) manner. 

21 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

True, but that doesn't mean it can't be influenced by "non-traditional" elements.

Of course it can be. And probably should be. That doesn't mean every attempt at modernity is a good thing though.

Experimentation implies that not everything attempted will be a success. 

22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

That is a fair point, one that is both reasonable and backed up with evidence and the fundamentals of "nostalgia cycles." However, that does seem to imply that the only reason people like it is nostalgia, not for its own artistic merits or because the colors go so well together.

That's fair, but it's also implied to a degree. The original Hornets were the originators of the teal and purple trend that the Ducks were riding and that was an identity chosen because those colours were both new and pleasing together. A huge part of marketing is finding colours that will resonate. Teal and purple was the perfect scheme to mix things up across pro sports. 

My larger point is that the Mighty Ducks were a pop culture brand among a collection of pro sports brands. Which made it stand out at the time and has given it a cache of nostalgia in the present that outweighs what would normally be ascribed to an identity with its on-ice record. 

Of course people can- and do- prefer the Mighty Ducks' identity to the present identity for reasons as simple as preference for the colour scheme or logo.

I suppose my point in this regard is that nostalgic preference and aesthetic preference are not mutually exclusive concepts. One's preferences are, in part, shaped by upbringing and environment.

I tend to like traditional aesthetics in sports, and I'm sure being a Leafs fan in a family divided between Leafs and Habs (aka the two most traditional teams in hockey) fans played a part in that. 

And so if you're someone who was drawn to the pop culture brand that was the Mighty Ducks in the 90s and early 2000s then you will be predisposed to having an aesthetic preference for it and similar stuff. 

It's not a "one or the other" binary where you're either a nostalgia zombie or a colour theorist championing eggplant and jade purely for its scientifically quantifiable complimentary nature 😛

Sometimes you just like what you like and nostalgia plays a role in it. It's broadly the same for everyone. 

Nostalgia cycles are totes real though. We're getting a wave of 90s alts in both hockey and basketball right on time. 

The Ducks only went to black and gold to begin with because Brian Burke wanted them to look like Army. Burke is long gone now so gold should be too. As for the unis themselves those swooshey stripes were a poor attempt to stay somewhat be consistent with the previous set. And don't get me started on the wordmark logo. Those uniforms were bad from the moment they debuted. Sucks that they won a cup with them.

I'm one of those who would be ecstatic with a straight return to the Mighty era, but I'd also be fine with something built around the orange alternate minus gold or even something like the anniversary jersey. But the gold definitely needs to go away. And the Duck mask, in whatever colors, should be the logo.

3 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I'd vote they come up with an entirely new logo and color package.

I would agree in theory but the Ducks already have two unrelated colour schemes. Going with a third just pushes them into Canucks territory, and no one wants to be in Canucks territory. It's in their best interests to make either the teal and eggplant or orange, black, and gold work. Maybe a combo of them in some form, but a new, third colour scheme and logo isn't going to help.

3 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It's in their best interests to make either the teal and eggplant or orange, black, and gold work. Maybe a combo of them in some form, but a new, third colour scheme and logo isn't going to help.

I've probably started coming off as a broken record at this point, but I'd love the Ducks to go for a jade/eggplant/orange scheme. It's the best of both worlds; keeps the Orange County connection and ties into their post-Mighty history, but brings back the general vibe of the Mighty Ducks identity.

I don't see any way the Ducks come out with an entirely new third brand. They already have had two distinct eras that each have their own history and longevity in the modern era. Plus I don't think anybody really wants a third, it's either a return to the first or a continued effort in blending the two.

Like I posted a couple pages ago now, if we are to believe these scattered internet comments I've seen;

• The owners really like the orange (which I think there is enough evidence, or at least enough connections can be made, for this to be accepted as truth)
  • The players don't like the orange jerseys (implied to be more because of the colour and not the logo) and they were the ones to make the decision not to wear them in the playoffs in recent years despite the Ducks playoff branding surrounding orange
  • The players were big fans of the 25th anniversary jersey

For my actual take on this, I think it has been too long as the Anaheim Ducks with too much success to return whole-hog to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (not that I think they would change the name back). I think a combined era look in the vein of the orange alternate or the 25th anniversary jersey is the best way forward, while keeping the Mighty Ducks look around for throwbacks and anniversaries.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Ducks set was more trendy if anything.  At least the Stars kept their logo and colour scheme intact when they adapted the All-Star-aping jerseys.  The Ducks went with every trend of the time.  Black for the sake of it, liberal use of shimmer-material, swooshy striping, a wordmark logo just when they were starting to become prevalent, a bulky over-designed number font.  If the Stars can justify ignoring their cup winning look, the Ducks certainly can as well.

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The thing that has always bugged me about this logo, like all the way back when it was introduced, are the overly thick outlines or keylines around the stick blades, stick knobs, and the edge of the mask. It just never made any sense to me. It’s nearly as distracting (bad) as the Vegas Golden Knights shoulder logo with impossible layering...

2 hours ago, Frylock said:

The thing that has always bugged me about this logo, like all the way back when it was introduced, are the overly thick outlines or keylines around the stick blades, stick knobs, and the edge of the mask. It just never made any sense to me. It’s nearly as distracting (bad) as the Vegas Golden Knights shoulder logo with impossible layering...

Well, thanks for that!  Never noticed those issues till now.  So, that needs fixing!

2 hours ago, Frylock said:

The thing that has always bugged me about this logo, like all the way back when it was introduced, are the overly thick outlines or keylines around the stick blades, stick knobs, and the edge of the mask. It just never made any sense to me.

I think it gives the mark some much needed weight. The sticks are a bit too flimsy without the thicker black outlines.

spacer.png

Personally I'd be much more inclined to give the whole thing a thicker border. 

spacer.png