squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

 

Don't get:

1. Why so many games wearing the navy alts? (Are they thinking of making that the primary? ūüė¨)

2. Why wouldn't you do a Battle of Alberta in both RR sweaters (black vs white)?

 

Someone on here likes to write OITGDNHL, and I think that applies here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYRFan said:

Don't get:

1. Why so many games wearing the navy alts? (Are they thinking of making that the primary? ūüė¨)

high quality toby GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the main reason is just "it's popular". No way the Oilers are considering a rebrand, especially one so drastically different from the dynasty-era look the franchise has tied itself to the hip with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I the Oilers white jerseys are great but they missed on the orange one and the navy alrernate. Instead of promoting the navy to permanent, id like to see them promote a a brand new navy jersey the home (think 2006 but with modern colors)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

When is the first game that will feature a Reverse Retro jersey ? I saw the earliest for Febuary 9th but i don't know if one will be sooner 

 

Minnesota is wearing their Reverse Retro uniforms this Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leafs are wearing theirs this Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

I the Oilers white jerseys are great but they missed on the orange one and the navy alrernate. Instead of promoting the navy to permanent, id like to see them promote a a brand new navy jersey the home (think 2006 but with modern colors)

I'm with you! My fear is that they think they have something great, and I see no evidence to that.  I hear people ragging on that sweater here, on podcasts, on Twitter. Are there metrics that say otherwise? We're gonna look back in 10 to 15 years and remember this period of dark navy and black alts sans white as a low point, at least in terms of league alts. Don't think we'll look back fondly on TB, SJ, Philly alts from this period...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 8:48 PM, the admiral said:

Multiple Stanley Cup wins with the greatest hockey player of all time, that's why. Same reason the Islanders have to stick with their fundamentally unsound mishmash of warped text, a hockey stick, and a poo-shaped landmass. 

Bobby Orr never played for the Oilers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

Bobby Orr never played for the Oilers.

Bobby Orr was a revolutionary player, but he's far from the GOAT historically. The only player who has even a shred of a chance at getting close to Wayne's career goal total is Alex Ovechkin, and he still has to score 187 more goals to even tie with Gretzky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AndrewG70 said:

Bobby Orr never played for the Oilers.

Thanks Don Cherry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People on here calling for the Oilers to change their crest are harping on the wrong aspect of their uniforms. Everything around that crest is what desperately needs to change. The orange home is awful - orange shouldn't be their primary color. The navy alt is a brutally bad trend chaser of a jersey. The road whites are the best of their set. It has balance between the orange, navy, and white.  

With that crest, their uniforms need to have a classic balanced feel to them, and right now they don't. They don't have to reinvent the wheel. They just have to stop chasing trends such as the orange primary and the navy alt. SIMPLIFY IT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

People on here calling for the Oilers to change their crest are harping on the wrong aspect of their uniforms. Everything around that crest is what desperately needs to change. The orange home is awful - orange shouldn't be their primary color. The navy alt is a brutally bad trend chaser of a jersey. The road whites are the best of their set. It has balance between the orange, navy, and white.  

With that crest, their uniforms need to have a classic balanced feel to them, and right now they don't. They don't have to reinvent the wheel. They just have to stop chasing trends such as the orange primary and the navy alt. SIMPLIFY IT

I'm not the biggest fan of teams hanging onto "dynasty-era" uniforms, (Oilers, Islanders), but in both cases, both teams have failed to find a better look in their attempts at it. The Oilers aren't an orange primary team, and they aren't a navy team either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never on board with the switch to orange/navy for the Oilers. The previous orange alt was fine but they shouldn't have gone the direction they went. They are a Royal Blue/Orange team. No reason to go in any other direction. This goes for the Islanders too. Navy just doesn't work for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AndrewG70 said:

Bobby Orr never played for the Oilers.

 

You spelled Gordie Howe wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, insert name said:

I was never on board with the switch to orange/navy for the Oilers. The previous orange alt was fine but they shouldn't have gone the direction they went. They are a Royal Blue/Orange team. No reason to go in any other direction. This goes for the Islanders too. Navy just doesn't work for them. 

 

I think one of them should be navy and orange, just for the sake of differentiation.  The Oilers current look would be totally acceptable if they didn't have the navy alt, and the fact they're going to heavy with it makes me feel ill for their future intentions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Islanders/Oilers parallels are odd. It is weird that we had two royal blue and orange teams, who both won 4 cups in the 80's, who both messed around with navy blue in the 90's and 2000's, who both went through long stretches of awful play, who both played in old ass barns, who both went back to their 80's uniforms.

 

Edit: they also both have circular logos with text in some 1970's style treatment. 

 

The Oilers messed it up when they decided to be the orange and navy blue team. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sport said:

The Islanders/Oilers parallels are odd. It is weird that we had two royal blue and orange teams, who both won 4 cups in the 80's, who both messed around with navy blue in the 90's and 2000's, who both went through long stretches of awful play, who both played in old ass barns, who both went back to their 80's uniforms.

 

The Oilers messed it up when they decided to be the orange and navy blue team. 

 

 

Don't forget one went teal while the other went.... copper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 5:32 PM, spartacat_12 said:

They look sharp, but remind me a lot of these Rangers' jerseys:

 

spacer.png

 

I wouldn't lie Rangers should bring back this as an alternate jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only acceptable Oilers primary, home-uniform.  They had it perfect in 2012, why experiment with orange and navy now...

FQILDKj.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.