2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

4 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

Don't get:

1. Why so many games wearing the navy alts? (Are they thinking of making that the primary? 😬)

2. Why wouldn't you do a Battle of Alberta in both RR sweaters (black vs white)?

Someone on here likes to write OITGDNHL, and I think that applies here.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leafs are wearing theirs this Saturday.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

3 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

I the Oilers white jerseys are great but they missed on the orange one and the navy alrernate. Instead of promoting the navy to permanent, id like to see them promote a a brand new navy jersey the home (think 2006 but with modern colors)

I'm with you! My fear is that they think they have something great, and I see no evidence to that.  I hear people ragging on that sweater here, on podcasts, on Twitter. Are there metrics that say otherwise? We're gonna look back in 10 to 15 years and remember this period of dark navy and black alts sans white as a low point, at least in terms of league alts. Don't think we'll look back fondly on TB, SJ, Philly alts from this period...

On 1/24/2021 at 8:48 PM, the admiral said:

Multiple Stanley Cup wins with the greatest hockey player of all time, that's why. Same reason the Islanders have to stick with their fundamentally unsound mishmash of warped text, a hockey stick, and a poo-shaped landmass. 

Bobby Orr never played for the Oilers.

10 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

Bobby Orr never played for the Oilers.

Bobby Orr was a revolutionary player, but he's far from the GOAT historically. The only player who has even a shred of a chance at getting close to Wayne's career goal total is Alex Ovechkin, and he still has to score 187 more goals to even tie with Gretzky.

People on here calling for the Oilers to change their crest are harping on the wrong aspect of their uniforms. Everything around that crest is what desperately needs to change. The orange home is awful - orange shouldn't be their primary color. The navy alt is a brutally bad trend chaser of a jersey. The road whites are the best of their set. It has balance between the orange, navy, and white.  

With that crest, their uniforms need to have a classic balanced feel to them, and right now they don't. They don't have to reinvent the wheel. They just have to stop chasing trends such as the orange primary and the navy alt. SIMPLIFY IT

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

People on here calling for the Oilers to change their crest are harping on the wrong aspect of their uniforms. Everything around that crest is what desperately needs to change. The orange home is awful - orange shouldn't be their primary color. The navy alt is a brutally bad trend chaser of a jersey. The road whites are the best of their set. It has balance between the orange, navy, and white.  

With that crest, their uniforms need to have a classic balanced feel to them, and right now they don't. They don't have to reinvent the wheel. They just have to stop chasing trends such as the orange primary and the navy alt. SIMPLIFY IT

I'm not the biggest fan of teams hanging onto "dynasty-era" uniforms, (Oilers, Islanders), but in both cases, both teams have failed to find a better look in their attempts at it. The Oilers aren't an orange primary team, and they aren't a navy team either. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I was never on board with the switch to orange/navy for the Oilers. The previous orange alt was fine but they shouldn't have gone the direction they went. They are a Royal Blue/Orange team. No reason to go in any other direction. This goes for the Islanders too. Navy just doesn't work for them. 

XM4KeeA.png

45 minutes ago, insert name said:

I was never on board with the switch to orange/navy for the Oilers. The previous orange alt was fine but they shouldn't have gone the direction they went. They are a Royal Blue/Orange team. No reason to go in any other direction. This goes for the Islanders too. Navy just doesn't work for them. 

I think one of them should be navy and orange, just for the sake of differentiation.  The Oilers current look would be totally acceptable if they didn't have the navy alt, and the fact they're going to heavy with it makes me feel ill for their future intentions.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Islanders/Oilers parallels are odd. It is weird that we had two royal blue and orange teams, who both won 4 cups in the 80's, who both messed around with navy blue in the 90's and 2000's, who both went through long stretches of awful play, who both played in old ass barns, who both went back to their 80's uniforms.

Edit: they also both have circular logos with text in some 1970's style treatment. 

The Oilers messed it up when they decided to be the orange and navy blue team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, Sport said:

The Islanders/Oilers parallels are odd. It is weird that we had two royal blue and orange teams, who both won 4 cups in the 80's, who both messed around with navy blue in the 90's and 2000's, who both went through long stretches of awful play, who both played in old ass barns, who both went back to their 80's uniforms.

The Oilers messed it up when they decided to be the orange and navy blue team. 

Don't forget one went teal while the other went.... copper.

Archived