2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2021 at 7:51 PM, CreamSoda said:

I hope they changed it from the current blue to a more penguin friendly design color. 

☹️

Tonight @ Boston:

OTXh962.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Not sure if someone brought this up, the Caps third jersey is the first jersey in team history that doesn’t make any reference to the Capitol or Capital (the blue/copper jerseys had the shoulder patch, and the WC and Stadium jerseys had Capitals and Caps). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

29 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Not sure if someone brought this up, the Caps third jersey is the first jersey in team history that doesn’t make any reference to the Capitol or Capital (the blue/copper jerseys had the shoulder patch, and the WC and Stadium jerseys had Capitals and Caps). 

It's a big CAPITAL W on the chest lol. Does that count?

9 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:
They'll wear this for 3 seasons

Why specifically 3 seasons? Anything I'm missing? Ownership? End of league wide contract with adidas? Such an arbitrary number

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

0AJu9o7.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

11 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

You spelled Gordie Howe wrong.

Gretz is the best player in the history of the Show, give your balls a tug!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Gretz is the best player in the history of the Show, give your balls a tug!

Didn’t Gretz and Super Mario both say that Gordie was the best player of all time? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

19 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

They looked like a bad team cosplaying as a good team from the late 70s-80s. It was fine as an alternate worn a few times a year for nostalgia's sake, but it looks incredibly dated and garish now

Yeah when they brought back the 80's uniforms full-time it highlighted the flaws of that blue jersey and they should've taken the opportunity to fix those flaws rather than adopting it exactly as it was. The issue for me is far too much orange. Orange on the sleeve cuffs below the sleeve stripes, orange yokes, and worst of all orange numbers. The white jersey had good contrast and good color balance where orange is the tertiary color. On the blue jerseys orange was the secondary color, almost as dominant as blue. I would've left the orange yoke, but the numbers would've looked better if you flipped the white and orange parts and change the area below the sleeve stripes from orange to blue. That would've made the uniform easier to watch. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Didn’t Gretz and Super Mario both say that Gordie was the best player of all time? 

Gretz holds or shares 61 records, don't nickel-and-dime the Great One!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They would all say the best player in hockey history is some guy they played peewee hockey with. "Oh he was better than me, best player I've ever seen".

You can say a lot about hockey players, but braggadocios isn't one of them (well for most anyways, but then hockey fans don't like it and yet like it at the same time).

IbjBaeE.png

28 minutes ago, Sport said:

Yeah when they brought back the 80's uniforms full-time it highlighted the flaws of that blue jersey and they should've taken the opportunity to fix those flaws rather than adopting it exactly as it was. The issue for me is far too much orange. Orange on the sleeve cuffs below the sleeve stripes, orange yokes, and worst of all orange numbers. The white jersey had good contrast and good color balance where orange is the tertiary color. On the blue jerseys orange was the secondary color, almost as dominant as blue. I would've left the orange yoke, but the numbers would've looked better if you flipped the white and orange parts and change the area below the sleeve stripes from orange to blue. That would've made the uniform easier to watch. 

Agreed. The white jersey is much easier to look at. The Islanders did a much better job at balancing the colors on their blue jerseys. IMO the problem is if they remove the excess orange on the shoulders, cuffs and numbers, they end up looking too much like the Islanders. I think it looked a little less garish with solid blue gear. Right before they switched to navy and copper spacer.png

Two thoughts in one post though this may end up as something belonging in the unpopular opinions thread.

I think Washington's alt is okay, but the colour balance is off. The massive blob of a white yoke with the relative lack of white on the rest of the set looks offbalance.

The Oilers look great in orange and navy and I hope they keep it.

2 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I think Washington's alt is okay, but the colour balance is off. The massive blob of a white yoke with the relative lack of white on the rest of the set looks offbalance.

There's seemingly more white than red on the new alternate, not counting the white shoulders. Plus the name and numbers are white. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I loved the original McDavid jerseys. That entire set is exactly how I picture the Oilers, despite growing up in the navy and copper McFarlane era. The original McDavid jerseys are the greatest look the Oilers have had, and the collar is honestly my favorite part of it. It is so unique and something that helps make the Oilers stand out from the other teams. Its a cool quirk that they could totally have run with. Its a shame that they moved away from it.

If the Oilers inverted the orange and the navy on the jersey below 👇, I don't think large bright orange shoulder yokes would look very good.

Oilers_Home_Authentic_Pro_Jersey_Orange_

The orange works here because it's a light color with dark yokes, stripes, numbers, etc. Not the reverse. Navy would work best imo, if they removed the yokes on a navy jersey and kept some orange highlights only. White numbers on navy as well.

It's true that the current Oilers uniforms look more like the WHA era teams than they Cup Dynasty era. But, from an aesthetical point of view alone, what they're wearing now looks better than the Cup uniforms, the colors flow well together.

I agree that it may not be the best decision to abadon blue as the main color. But I think the team changed because 1: the orange probably caught on and sold like crazy, they wanted to capitalize on their popular trend and 2: the team may want these to be what's associated with the Connor McDavid era.

Archived