2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd say that they're much better. They're not singular or as amorphous as "Wild," and they call back to the original name. Lol.

It's "creatively getting around restrictions," not "cheap, half-assed imitation."

Hey, it's just a thought. You seem to be taking this really personally that some people are sick of Wild and think the name ruins the whole package. You seem to take every slight against your opinions pretty personally, deeming to mock other posters for disagreeing with you.

Didn't mean to sound like a dick, sorry. I'm just bored, don't take this personally. To be fair, I don't think I've ever encountered many people who hate the name Wild, other than on these message boards. Granted, I don't live in Minnesota. Norths, Nords and Nordlys are too close to Nordiques imo

5 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Didn't mean to sound like a dick, sorry. I'm just bored, don't take this personally. To be fair, I don't think I've ever encountered many people who hate the name Wild, other than on these message boards. Granted, I don't live in Minnesota. Norths, Nords and Nordlys are too close to Nordiques imo

I feel the same way. I don’t think it’s a terrible name, just not a great one... And I live in Minnesota, and haven’t heard much about the name from people. It just kinda is what it is to them, I guess. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Most fans if asked do not like the name Wild. I was reading through the post game comments in the local StarTribune and a lot of people's sentiments were along the lines of "ditch the Wild name", "why did we choose Wild?" "Can we use these colors permanently?"

8 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I don't think they should go with North Stars colours full time..............they should definitely keep this - or better yet, a green version - as a third or a once-every-so-often heritage jersey.

I would prefer that too. I kinda like that the Wild sorta own the darker forest green (in contrast to Dallas) and red. On top of having a brillant primary logo.

I prefer not to throw paint over the Wild scheme to become the almost North Stars. North Stars throwbacks for throwback nights would be my choice.

I have no problem with the fun recolor of the Wild crest in North Stars colors, but not for full-time look. That would be bad.

I mean, the highest accomplishment NHL hockey has had in the state of Minnesota was the North Stars going to two Cup Finals, unless you count getting utterly bodied by J.S. Giguere in 2003 as a "high accomplishment". 

Personally, I love the way the Wild logo looks in the late 80's North Stars colors;

spacer.png

Including that bit of black lets you sort of get away with a night scene as opposed to the normal logo's dawn/dusky look.

1 minute ago, chcarlson23 said:

I feel the same way. I don’t think it’s a terrible name, just not a great one... And I live in Minnesota, and haven’t heard much about the name from people. It just kinda is what it is to them, I guess. 

It is one of those trendy 90s singular team names, but is it really worse than yet another uninspired angry animal name like Bears, Wolverines or Wolves? FWIW, I also like Avalanche and Lightning

21 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, the highest accomplishment NHL hockey has had in the state of Minnesota was the North Stars going to two Cup Finals, unless you count getting utterly bodied by J.S. Giguere in 2003 as an "high accomplishment". Personally, I love the way the Wild logo looks in the late 80's North Stars colors;

spacer.png

It's a cool concept.

The current Wild colors used in their crest represent a sunrise. This one is a night sky.

Black was a short-lived fad in North Stars history, though. I'm not sure what the takes are between green/yellow vs green/yellow/black...

I always thought the favorite was the green and yellow scheme. But if the black gets a pass, this could be used on the RR's.

2 minutes ago, MinnyHockey said:

Most fans if asked do not like the name Wild. I was reading through the post game comments in the local StarTribune and a lot of people's sentiments were along the lines of "ditch the Wild name", "why did we choose Wild?" "Can we use these colors permanently?"

Wouldn't put too much stock in cherry picked comments in a newspaper. Confirmation bias imo. If they had made a poll where 10k Minnesotans had answered, now that would be reliable

5 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, the highest accomplishment NHL hockey has had in the state of Minnesota was the North Stars going to two Cup Finals, unless you count getting utterly bodied by J.S. Giguere in 2003 as an "high accomplishment". Personally, I love the way the Wild logo looks in the late 80's North Stars colors;

spacer.png

pp river xD

Preds are wearing navy blue helmets (with a non-Bridgestone sponsor) with their Reverse Retros, instead of the gold buckets they showed initially.

cut.jpg

Massive upgrade for this set, IMO. Info: https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/preds-vanderbilt-health-announce-reverse-retro-helmet-entitlement/c-320960412

1 hour ago, MinnyHockey said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean we can't use our former colors full time. 

There was nothing stopping the team from bringing back kelly green & yellow when they originally came up with the branding. Dallas was dark green, black, and metallic gold, so the OG North Stars scheme would've still been unique. Ownership decided to go in a different direction, keeping the North Stars nods more subtle (i.e. the star in the logo). 

Although they've toiled in mediocrity for a majority of their existence, the Wild still have a solid brand with over 20 years of foundation beneath it. It seems careless to suggest throwing that all away because of a sharp looking faux-back alternate.

This feels like the arguments I see on here suggesting the Utah Jazz need to change their name.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

There was nothing stopping the team from bringing back kelly green & yellow when they originally came up with the branding. Dallas was dark green, black, and metallic gold, so the OG North Stars scheme would've still been unique. Ownership decided to go in a different direction, keeping the North Stars nods more subtle (i.e. the star in the logo). 

Although they've toiled in mediocrity for a majority of their existence, the Wild still have a solid brand with over 20 years of foundation beneath it. It seems careless to suggest throwing that all away because of a sharp looking faux-back alternate.

This feels like the arguments I see on here suggesting the Utah Jazz need to change their name.

I'm a Minnesota native who adores the North Stars brand and I tend to agree with what you're saying.

The North Stars had one of the most unique looks in professional sports, and it's a shame that it's gone, but applying it to the Wild retroactively seems really unnecessary. In fact, I'm not even sure I like these faux-backs. It looks out of place applying those colors to the Wild logo. 

And I'm not necessarily a fan of the Wild's colors, especially back when they embraced red more fully. I can appreciate, though, that they've forged their own identity. 

(Admittedly, I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this subject. In another thread, I've suggested the Texans adopt the Oilers colors, which is a direct corollary to this line of questioning. And I stand by that, probably because I don't know enough about the Texans and how well their look has been adopted locally, relative to the Wild and Minnesota.) 

25 minutes ago, YELDARBfield said:

Preds are wearing navy blue helmets (with a non-Bridgestone sponsor) with their Reverse Retros, instead of the gold buckets they showed initially.

cut.jpg

Massive upgrade for this set, IMO. Info: https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/preds-vanderbilt-health-announce-reverse-retro-helmet-entitlement/c-320960412

Turns out EA was more accurate than I first thought. Too bad, I kinda liked the yellow helmets

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yes, that river in China which famously flows through Minneapolis.

I think you didn't understand the point of my post but I forgive you. :)

31 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Here's the equipment Quick's using for the Kings' Reverse Retro jersey.

Wow Vaughn nailed it! Here is Petersen (same design as his regular pads but retro colors):

EtK1Q8bXEAENCDJ?format=jpg&name=large

4r2eer.png

Archived