2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pens kind of mailed it in keeping the pants and nameplates from their current set. Should be all black pants and 2 color names. Jersey probably would have popped more if they flipped the black and gold stripes opposite of what they went with. Also, if they were hell bent on not putting robo pen on the shoulders than they should have just put the primary logo up there. At least they’re using white helmets

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

6 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

Pens kind of mailed it in keeping the pants and nameplates from their current set. Should be all black pants and 2 color names. Jersey probably would have popped more if they flipped the black and gold stripes opposite of what they went with. Also, if they were hell bent on not putting robo pen on the shoulders than they should have just put the primary logo up there. At least they’re using white helmets

I think the idea was to blend the current era jerseys to the 90s ones. Either that, or they just got lazy and went "eh, good enough" lol

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

I can't take credit for finding it, since I saw it on Twitter, but the I on that jersey is rotated 180.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1 hour ago, dannykraft said:

Was pretty underwhelmed when they were unveiled but honestly swap the text with the normal skating penguin and that's a perfect away jersey. 

It was kinda dumb to unveil the jerseys modeled by regular people in street clothes. Most of them were wearing jerseys that were about two sizes bigger than they needed. So far, I think all the RR jerseys look better on ice, with the matching gear and obviously, worn in the correct size and with shoulder pads, as intended. I get why they did it, but it was still a bad idea

10 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

"very well thought out and are strong designs" and "quick, money grabs" aren't mutually exclusive. All of the RR are basically just retro jerseys, except with different colors, how is that unrefined? Even saying rushed together is inaccurate. 

How are they NOT unrefined? Over the course of a few weeks, they've taken disparate elements from historical jerseys, thrown them in a blender and sold them as jerseys. By their very nature they are a bit of a whacky mess. Maybe one or two here and there have landed on something really good, but most of them to me look flawed in some way. Which is unsurprising. I'm just surprised people get so excited by a team wearing different colours. IMO Minnesota has this unique, mature brand with dark green and red and some earthy beige. It's well considered.....with yellow and green it just looks kinda plastic to me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Minnesota Geminis, Minnesota Norsemen, Minnesota Northern Lights, Minnesota Northern Stars, Minnesota Norths, Minnesota Nords, Minnesota Constellations, Minnesota Nordlys (Norwegian for "northern lights"), etc. These are all "close enough" substitutions for the North Stars name.

51-XmyjG5wL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I know the Wild is a dumb name but trying to bring back the North Stars back in an age where many playing in the league weren't even born yet when they moved feels like a folly - on par with trying to rename the Pelicans the Jazz.

Some throwbacks, sure.  But the Wild have been around for 20 or so years now, they had their chance to do it then and didn't

10 hours ago, MinnyHockey said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean we can't use our former colors full time. 

10 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Why

The Flyers took on the orange and black from Philadelphia's original NHL team, the Quakers. There's no reason why the North Stars' green and yellow-gold can't be used by another Minnesota franchise. Totally agree with @MinnyHockey.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

How are they NOT unrefined? Over the course of a few weeks, they've taken disparate elements from historical jerseys, thrown them in a blender and sold them as jerseys. By their very nature they are a bit of a whacky mess. Maybe one or two here and there have landed on something really good, but most of them to me look flawed in some way. Which is unsurprising. I'm just surprised people get so excited by a team wearing different colours. IMO Minnesota has this unique, mature brand with dark green and red and some earthy beige. It's well considered.....with yellow and green it just looks kinda plastic to me.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

Is that you conceding that I'm right? lol

I'm all for having fun; I like having the RR jerseys. I'm just not that easily swayed by something new and shiny. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I know sometimes we get wrapped up in minutiae here, and can veer toward the nitpicky, so I just wanted to say something positive:

The RR sweaters look amazing, and it really helps brighten up the league! Essentially all 31 teams now have at least 1 (some have 2+) sick look, and Adidas deserves a TON of credit. It wasn't that long ago that jerseys were dark, drab, empty, paneled, and piping-heavy (even an O6 franchise was affected.) I believe we have some people posting here who have been in the board rooms and "on the ground" with these discussions, and I wanted to give you all props. 

To me, the Pens' RR was bottom 5 in the league and slightly on the bland side, and look how good it looks! It still may be in the bottom 10 to 15, conservatively, and it's still a solid uniform.

Separately...Anyone's know if, given the pandemic and the myriad of effects it has had on shipping/logistics/manufacturing, we won't see many changes in October or possibly the retros get used again? This would allow for some of the intended matchups to take place in the 21-22 season. 

16 hours ago, QCS said:

I could go either way on the Wild - I really like the logo and colors they have now, but I'd be more than ok with them becoming North Stars 2.0 as well.

Honestly, while the Wild brand needs some updates here and there, I think there are other teams that need more immediate attention. I think the logo is pretty clever, and I do wish for them to return to a red primary full time, but I wouldn't be opposed to a kelly green/yellow redesign either. It's a color scheme that sort of died off and needs a resurrection (as evidenced by the Wild and A's).

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Archived