2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me as another who thinks it'd be a shame if the "darker green with red and cream trim" went away.  To me they should never have used red as a primary.  On the other hand, the brighter green with yellow is nice.  If they insist on yellow numbers, maybe they could increase the green outline width, because as it is the TV angle is just totally illegible:

iCWyZ69.png

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Because Northern Lights makes more sense and is more traditionally sounding for a big league sports franchise??

I personally do not hear "Northern Lights" and think "professional sports franchise". It doesn't make more sense to me than Wild, especially when you have non plural names like Avalanche and Kraken. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

38 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I personally do not hear "Northern Lights" and think "professional sports franchise". It doesn't make more sense to me than Wild, especially when you have non plural names like Avalanche and Kraken. 

"Kraken" is plural.

5 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Looks good to me

EtQyYrBWgAAty4r?format=jpg&name=large

I just can't get onboard with abundance of white striping. The red logo on red jersey isn't a good look either, in my opinion. I feel a red jersey for CBJ has potential but this isn't it.

Just now, nlane33 said:

I just can't get onboard with abundance of white striping. The red logo on red jersey isn't a good look either, in my opinion. I feel a red jersey for CBJ has potential but this isn't it.

The color balance does seem a little off. Maybe with red helmets? Since they inverted the pants, why not the helmets while you're at it. I don't mind the white sleeves at all

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Avalanche - Avs.

Kraken -Kraks

Wild - ???????

Northern Lights is no different than North Stars, Flames, Red Wings, Flyers, Blue Jackets, etc.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:23 PM, MN Wilkings said:

I’m not old enough to remember the North Stars, but they had a nice color scheme and a much better name than the Wild. If the Wild picked a different name, the whole subject may not exist. I have yet to meet a Wild fan that actually likes the name and there is still a ton of North Stars gear being worn in Minnesota. If it were up to me the Wild would change their name to the North Stars. Put the N on the chest and move the recolored Wild logo to the shoulder. Stars and North Stars should be different enough to avoid confusion. The MLB has the Reds, Red Sox, and White Sox and no one complains. The MLS has many teams named the United. Heck, the NHL already has the Blues and Blue Jackets along with the Canadiens and the Canucks.

I still agree with my opinion from November, but the recolored logo has grown on me and I would be fine with it staying along with a name change. I was worried that the yellow numbers made the jersey a little yellow heavy. After seeing it on the ice, paired with the green breezers, it makes for a nice balanced uniform. These colors feel more modern (and retro at the same time) and makes the forest green stand out as a byproduct of the late ‘90s darkening of sports uniforms. Name change or not, kelly green and yellow should be the colors of Minnesota’s hockey team. 

I've watched probably 90% of all the games the Columbus Blue Jackets have ever played so this feels like I'm watching a different team. The colors are all there, our old logo is there, our players are all out there wearing them, but it's all in a different order and it feels like I've stumbled into some weird alternate dimension where I'm a Washington Capitals fan. As a fan, I'm not a fan. 

They look like the inverse of these late 80's Team USA uniforms. 

D_xu_MlW4AMB6nY.jpg

and the team is playing like doodoo so maybe don't wear them ever again? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

What's wrong with it? 

It’s clunky as hell? If we don’t like “Vegas Golden Knights,” how are we defending “Minnesota Northern Lights” as a viable name? It’s also a weird colloquial term. Auroras is a much better name for a team.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

13 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Ugh. Edina is the worst.

No kidding. Quick question, since I’ve never been to Minnesota: did Edina have those colors before the North Stars?

13 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Minnesota Auroras instead of Northern Lights?

Bleep me, why didn’t I think of that? 

Avs wearing the new navy pants for the first time, I think:

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche : News Photo

(and that helmet doesn't match colors very well...) the older version didn't have the white trim:

Wild perseveres in back-and-forth battle to trip Avalanche 6-4 | Star  Tribune

I'm not sure why they felt the need to add white between the navy breezers and navy socks, especially when they DON'T have grey on the home blue breezers where the meet with burgundy socks.  I also liked how the old version sort of highlighted the two white stripes, now it feels busier to me.

I wonder if they'll try out the third jerseys with the reverse retro pants eventually.  Here's a quick photoshop.  Also I was curious how the color balance would work without the white shoulders:

dxBJC3w.png

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

No kidding. Quick question, since I’ve never been to Minnesota: did Edina have those colors before the North Stars?

According to Wikipedia Edina has had school colors of green and white since 1949. I couldn't find any info about when they switched to green and gold. I assume it was inspired by the North Stars as I did find this image of a vintage style jersey without the gold:

EDN5853HockeyJersey_MM_41%20cropped.jpg?

I also found this page with a "74-77" era Edina jersey. No idea if this was a "break" in green/gold or if the switch happened later, but circumstantially it seems the current look is an intentional aping of the N Stars.

19 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s clunky as hell? If we don’t like “Vegas Golden Knights,” how are we defending “Minnesota Northern Lights” as a viable name? It’s also a weird colloquial term. Auroras is a much better name for a team.

Auroras IS nice.

Regarding the comparison to "Vegas Golden Knights" though...since when did I say I didn't like it? I have a lot of problems with Vegas' team, but the name isn't one of them. In fact I'd prefer it if they went with "Las Vegas Golden Knights." So "Minnesota Northern Lights" isn't so bad in that context 😉

tl;dr, don't assume "if you don't like X why do you like Y?" because I may not dislike X 😜

Archived