2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what it is, it's the shape of the 90s logo that brings back strong nostalgia vibes. The updated one is almost just a roundel. The Sens could have done something like my concept, a best of both worlds kind of thing. They went with a flawed logo because it was easier and Sens fans seem to look past its flaws. They'll never use the =O= full-time.

If/when the nostalgia wave runs dry, it will be more and more noticeable how bad the Sens 90s logo is, by 2021 aesthetic standards, just like it happened to the Dynasty Oilers uniforms.

3D centurion > updated 2D centurion > current 2D centurion > original 2D centurion.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

If by powder blue you meant the Hawaiian/electric/bright royal blue they used from 92 to 2001, agreed. They've used the same shade of blue as the Leafs and current Canucks since thenspacer.png and on its own or paired with a bright almost kelly green it's fine but paired with black, it's just way too dark

The  blue number bordering is lighter than the royal blue on the jerseys. Definitely, the powdery Hawaiian electric blue for sure. Black and blue look great together but the blue needs be lighter than royal blue. 

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Nice try, but both the Blackhawks and Bruins have strong outlines (I'll give you the Wings and the Leafs, however):

spacer.pngspacer.png

In fact, the Bruins updated in 2007 with pretty much the express purpose of thickening the strokes!

They're both very detailed logos. Have you ever seen an authentic Blackhawks jersey with the chain stitching? They're gorgeous. Boston's B has a triple outline. Nice try, yourself. Also, you conveniently forgot to talk about the extremely detailed Red Wings logo and the Leafs logo that has text in it

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Mainly because they're all either A.) very simplistic and easy to get all the details across with (Leafs, Bruins, Wings)

Right, if you say so. By your own standards most of the logos fail but you sure like to move the goalposts when making your arguments

1 hour ago, ebod39 said:

Jeesh, the nerve of them, designing logos to work across multiple mediums both analog and digital. How dare they do their job properly.

The updated 2D logo is stronger IMO because being true circular logo it looks and fits better on a jersey (which wasn't that your point?).  The current 2D can appear off-center

because it's heavy on the right side and centering it using the circle is awkward. It has to be visually centered not mechanically centered. Not ideal, but it works.

It also incorporates elements from the flag of Ottawa as the cape. It's simple, elegant and bold. 

I'm just saying it's not necessary to make a logo that looks good when shrunk down. It works for the Habs and Flyers and Blues but if the Blackhawks or Red Wings redesigned their logo with twitter and instagram icons in mind, I don't think a single person in the whole universe would be happy about that. Nothing wrong with a detailed logo with thin lines, it's primarily meant to be on a jersey anyway

1 minute ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The  blue number bordering is lighter than the royal blue on the jerseys. Definitely, the powdery Hawaiian electric blue for sure. Black and blue look great together but the blue needs be lighter than royal blue. 

It's probably just the tackle twill that reflects light differently than the jersey fabric, pretty sure in person they're the same color

10 minutes ago, ebod39 said:

Yes, it is. That is graphic design 101. 

Oh, great. Another snob flexing his design muscles... 😂

The Rock Reaction GIF

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I posted this in the NBA thread and I'm going to post it here too ...

Some of you in this thread need to dial it down, like, six or seven notches. You're free to disagree with each other, but do so in a civil manner. If you can't do so without condescension, sniping and otherwise general unpleasantness, I have no qualms about shutting this thread down and handing out warning points.

You can have your opinions and you can express your opinions. But remember that they are opinions; neither yours or anyone else's are hard-and-fast rules. And I don't care how bored you are -- don't be dicks to each other. 

Looking at the "new" Sens logo again (since I don't watch their games), it looks stuck in the 90's and not in a charming so ugly its good way.  I get the nostalgia factor, but it has not aged any better since they decided to move on in 07.  The new jerseys and logo only look good because its compared to the edge mess.  

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Right, so according to Mr Graphic Designer here, the Blackhawks have a terrible logo because it doesn't look like facebook's icon when shrunk down

Way to put words in his mouth. The blackhawks don’t have a terrible logo. But it does get a pass because it is one of the original 6 logos. That doesn’t mean it can’t be sized down though. The majority of details still are presented when sized down as other posters have mentioned.

30 minutes ago, GFB said:

Who says no? 

spacer.png

Add some black and maybe some silver.  Would be much better than the original.

The only thing I dislike is that the black on the cuffs is basically non existent, hidden away under the gloves.

I don't hate the current set like a lot of people, but I wouldn't hate them going to this, either.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

Who says no? 

spacer.png

I vastly prefer the retro logos, as flawed as they are.  An identity named after 'Lightning' needs to have some flash and that's what the large area of embroidered, metallic silver brought to the original logo.

Archived